Cartwright on NRL360

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
Anyone see his comments in NRL360? He said that if he had his wish, he'd still be with Penrith as a coach, but he's "ended up at Manly".

If that's the case, how is his heart in Manly? Does Barrett feel the same with his Dragon's?

Man, this is what I mean. Be careful with what you say.

If Cartwright openly states his desire to be elsewhere, what does that show the playing group ?

Maybe that's partly the reason we saw a sub par performance.

End of the day, if a coach says they wished they were employed elsewhere, why not the player's as well?

I give in. Maybe @Rex was right.

What's there to love anymore? The club? The jersey?

Anyway, maybe a massive over reaction, but geez, I wish we'd see 100% commitment to the maroon and white by SOMEONE employed by the place.

Cartwright COMPLETELY uninspired me. Take the Manly shirt off and throw a Penrith one on if that's your preference as he just plainly said.

I hope the media manager rips his head off tomorrow. He'll work out just as well as Steve Roach did for us as a coach.

I'm starting to regret being as hard as I was on Toovey.

Manly has a history of Asst Coaches leaving after a year to become Head Coaches.

Carty's son is super impressive. Spoke really well and is also a great talent on the field.

I have no doubt Carty will build up his resume with success at Manly in 2016 :)

Anyone see his comments in NRL360? He said that if he had his wish, he'd still be with Penrith as a coach, but he's "ended up at Manly".

If that's the case, how is his heart in Manly? Does Barrett feel the same with his Dragon's?

If Cartwright openly states his desire to be elsewhere, what does that show the playing group ?

End of the day, if a coach says they wished they were employed elsewhere, why not the player's as well?

Anyway, maybe a massive over reaction, but geez, I wish we'd see 100% commitment to the maroon and white by SOMEONE employed by the place.

Cartwright COMPLETELY uninspired me. Take the Manly shirt off and throw a Penrith one on if that's your preference as he just plainly said.

I hope the media manager rips his head off tomorrow. He'll work out just as well as Steve Roach did for us as a coach.

I'd imagine he felt the same when he was assistant coach at the Cowboys last year. And they won the premiership.

Unhelpful attitude? Let's say it is. If so, hiding it doesn't make it go away, or stop its influence. He'll still react to it. Getting it out gives it a chance to be addressed.

On the other hand, getting it out without addressing it likely embeds it. So the key to effectiveness with unhelpful attitudes seems to be to see clearly (get them out in the open) - but to respond, not react to them. That is what good counsellors and psychologists and coaches help people do, and why they are effective.

Emotive reactions can be helpful in situations of certainty. We know (accurately and exactly) what has to be done and just need to try harder and act quicker. And in situations of complexity and ambiguity and change, we need to take time and give space to looking again - without the emotion impelling us to an urgent fix.

If Barrett is to succeed, I'd imagine it is his apparent ability to coolly respond, not react (like a good counsellor/psychologist/coach does), that may be central to his success. Barrett needs to be given some time and space to try this, fail; try that, fail ... try something else and eventually succeed. Without this time and space, the creative mind-space needed to be the best - to beat 15 other teams doing their best - just won't be there.

If Tooves got a coaching gig somewhere else and was interviewed and said he wished he was still head coach of Manly, a little tear of joy and pride would trickle down your cheek and you'd whisper to yourself "Ohhh bless you Tooves". Quite frankly, any club legend who is employed by another team would think this. Do you even know why Penrith would be special to him? He was part of a pretty damn good team.

I mean seriously, that post is just rubbish...

Did Cartwright have anything at all to say about the misunderstanding re: Jerry's restaurant booking?

In all seriousness though, if he eventually leaves Manly with some good memories, then mission accomplished on Bozo's part. He looked like a concerned man in the dressing rooms after Friday night's loss.

I'm sure John has pleasant memories from all the other non-Penrith clubs he has been associated with - three by my count (not including his current one).

I see your point Ryan and I don't disagree but these guys are professionals in their field. I'm sure Hasler wishes he was still at Manly, but no one questions his dedication to the dishlickers cause. Bennett clearly would have rather been at the donkeys in 2010, but he won a premiership with St George instead.

The Rugby League world is littered with such examples so I will judge on the results, which so far I am less than impressed by.

I didn't read too much into it, his father helped establish the football club in the 60's and he played for them. The guy was being genuine. I don't expect him to come out and say that he loves Manly more than Penrith, that would be shallow. The segment was about 50 years of the Penrith football team, nothing to do with Manly.

People are professionals and linking Friday's performance with an interview about Penrith's 50 year celebrations is a bit of a stretch. He might have put in for the Penrith Job and didn't get it over Griffin?

I have always had the feeling of ....commit 100% to Manly or pi** off
All I take out of this though, is his desire was to be a head coach at the Penrith club he started & ended his career....but destiny has led him to his role at Manly where, as was the case at Nth Qld he gave his best....the blokes a competitor....& maybe too honest.
I heard another interview where he stated he throws ideas at Barrett that are often ignored & thought... damn, sounds a bit rocky but think he just calls it without that feel good fairy tail interview most give.
Really think people's opinion on Barrett will change in a big way soon also, the most important ppl at the Manly club...the players...have massive respect, that is only a short time from showing with results on the field.

If you want to take anything out of that, hope that one day when enough time has passed and the bitterness has gone, people like Choc can say the same thing.

• 😆
Reactions: Rex
Aah. The complete opposite to Karma Foran who, on BSB, just said he's never looked back.

If Tooves got a coaching gig somewhere else and was interviewed and said he wished he was still head coach of Manly, a little tear of joy and pride would trickle down your cheek and you'd whisper to yourself "Ohhh bless you Tooves". Quite frankly, any club legend who is employed by another team would think this. Do you even know why Penrith would be special to him? He was part of a pretty damn good team.

I mean seriously, that post is just rubbish...

Honestly, I don't think I would @Loobs . I'd cringe, and think "Tooooves, come on man, your employed by XXXXXXXX now. I know you love Manly, but focus on the club your at.

Either way, points well taken. I think @Mark from Brisbane says it best when he claims it's just a business now, and the passion / loyalty side of the game is just dying out, and we need to re-align the way we perceive it all.

Maybe that's my problem, and not anyone else's. I'm not embracing the cultural change as fast as some others.

Honestly, I don't think I would @Loobs . I'd cringe, and think "Tooooves, come on man, your employed by XXXXXXXX now. I know you love Manly, but focus on the club your at.

Either way, points well taken. I think @Mark from Brisbane says it best when he claims it's just a business now, and the passion / loyalty side of the game is just dying out, and we need to re-align the way we perceive it all.

Maybe that's my problem, and not anyone else's. I'm not embracing the cultural change as fast as some others.
I'm with you Ryan.

I'll give the final word to the man himself:

John Cartwright cites jealousy as reason NRL fans dislike Manly Sea Eagles

November 7, 2015

After a career spent trying to bring Manly undone, first as a member of the Penrith pack, then as head coach of the Gold Coast and more recently during his successful stint as Paul Green's assistant at North Queensland, John Cartwright has needed only a few days of pre-season training to adopt the Sea Eagles mentality.

Cartwright, recruited as Trent Barrett's right-hand man for 2016, pinpointed "jealousy" as the reason most fans disliked the northern beaches club, derided throughout the years as "the Silvertails" because they have been perceived as the competition's millionaires.

"I really loved my time with North Queensland, they're a fantastic club," Cartwright said. "[The reason I came to Manly is because there's] probably a little bit more responsibility, we don't have as many coaches on staff. It's a club, whilst a lot of people say they don't like Manly, that's normally born out of jealously ... they're a really tough club, very resilient.

"I had a few options at the end of last year and one was to stay at Townsville, but after talking to 'Baz' [Barrett] the bottom line for me was it's a club I have always admired and really respected as a player and a coach. From the outside looking in, people either love or hate Manly. There always seems to be some sort of drama, but the team always performs."

Cartwright said he was pleased to work alongside Barrett in the former international's debut season as a head coach. He said the 37-year-old had all the characteristics required to be a success.

"I've known Trent for a long time," Cartwright said. "He's a very cool customer and he knows the game very well and he treats men as men, and I think they're the three ingredients you need as coach.

"My job is to support him as best as I can and I know he's the sort of guy who I can offer my opinion ... Whether he takes it or he doesn't, there'll be no hard feelings, that's exactly how 'Greeny' [Paul Green] was at the Cowboys.

"Sometimes they take your advice, sometimes they don't, but the thing is it's an open forum and I'm sure there'll be plenty of good conversations."

Cartwright said he welcomed the opportunity to renew his acquaintance with Manly powerbroker Bob Fulton – whom he played under in the 1990 Kangaroos tour of Britain and France – because he had had a strong influence on him as a young player. "He's been working very hard behind the scenes," he said. "He's a club legend, 'Bozo', and I was fortunate to have played under him and toured with him on a Kangaroo tour and World Cup tour.

"My relationship goes back as far as my father who managed him in a state team back in the '60s. It's great to catch up with him.

"I'm a student of the game and I know exactly what he's done in the game. As a kid he was someone I idolised ... I'm very fortunate to be able to work with him now."

Cartwright, the new assistant coach/recruitment manager, forms part of the new coaching platform at Manly that includes head coach Barrett, assistant coach Anthony Seibold and head of physical performance Dan Ferris, formerly with the Titans.

I'll give the final word to the man himself:

John Cartwright cites jealousy as reason NRL fans dislike Manly Sea Eagles

November 7, 2015

After a career spent trying to bring Manly undone, first as a member of the Penrith pack, then as head coach of the Gold Coast and more recently during his successful stint as Paul Green's assistant at North Queensland, John Cartwright has needed only a few days of pre-season training to adopt the Sea Eagles mentality.

Cartwright, recruited as Trent Barrett's right-hand man for 2016, pinpointed "jealousy" as the reason most fans disliked the northern beaches club, derided throughout the years as "the Silvertails" because they have been perceived as the competition's millionaires.

"I really loved my time with North Queensland, they're a fantastic club," Cartwright said. "[The reason I came to Manly is because there's] probably a little bit more responsibility, we don't have as many coaches on staff. It's a club, whilst a lot of people say they don't like Manly, that's normally born out of jealously ... they're a really tough club, very resilient.

"I had a few options at the end of last year and one was to stay at Townsville, but after talking to 'Baz' [Barrett] the bottom line for me was it's a club I have always admired and really respected as a player and a coach. From the outside looking in, people either love or hate Manly. There always seems to be some sort of drama, but the team always performs."

Cartwright said he was pleased to work alongside Barrett in the former international's debut season as a head coach. He said the 37-year-old had all the characteristics required to be a success.

"I've known Trent for a long time," Cartwright said. "He's a very cool customer and he knows the game very well and he treats men as men, and I think they're the three ingredients you need as coach.

"My job is to support him as best as I can and I know he's the sort of guy who I can offer my opinion ... Whether he takes it or he doesn't, there'll be no hard feelings, that's exactly how 'Greeny' [Paul Green] was at the Cowboys.

"Sometimes they take your advice, sometimes they don't, but the thing is it's an open forum and I'm sure there'll be plenty of good conversations."

Cartwright said he welcomed the opportunity to renew his acquaintance with Manly powerbroker Bob Fulton – whom he played under in the 1990 Kangaroos tour of Britain and France – because he had had a strong influence on him as a young player. "He's been working very hard behind the scenes," he said. "He's a club legend, 'Bozo', and I was fortunate to have played under him and toured with him on a Kangaroo tour and World Cup tour.

"My relationship goes back as far as my father who managed him in a state team back in the '60s. It's great to catch up with him.

"I'm a student of the game and I know exactly what he's done in the game. As a kid he was someone I idolised ... I'm very fortunate to be able to work with him now."

Cartwright, the new assistant coach/recruitment manager, forms part of the new coaching platform at Manly that includes head coach Barrett, assistant coach Anthony Seibold and head of physical performance Dan Ferris, formerly with the Titans.
Hope this is still true three months later.
Some marriages don't last three months!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4