Catching the ball

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DSM5

First Grader
I posted recently that a high ball catching lesson from the Swans might come in handy. Think I was bagged for the suggestion.  It might have come in handy last night.  After dropping a few, we seemed very reluctant to even try to catch. 

That was the big worry from that game. Farrar needs to do some catching practise because every team we play will bomb him after seeing that.

I hear what you’re saying DSM5 however in the GFL when they are contesting for the ball they don't have to worry that someone is going to knock them senseless as soon as they catch the ball and plant their feet on the ground. What your proposing has its merits however I think the Ben Farrar situation is more a mental confidence thing.

Against the Eels Ben Farrar bravely stood his ground and was taken out by Hayne, who may or may not have also been going for the ball. Either way it was a very nasty hit he took and it may have affected his confidence. Up to the coaching staff to fix that quick because if not he will only get targetted more & more.

He is certainly good enough so I hope he can overcome that. He is really a danger chiming in on the left with Foran & Matai.

Confidence issue for sure. The first bomb from Bird was a torpedo bomb and swirled and moved in a very strange trajectory. The next few were left and he was nervous about knocking on. A real pity as if he took that last bomb we win the game.

Read in this mornings Terrograph that Souths intend to target Farah with bombs.  I just prey that he has a go rather than let the ball bounce.  Teams attacking the ball certainly have the advantage, so hopefully Des will get Stewy or someone proficient in catching, to coach Farah and Robbo in the art.  And if those torpedo bombs are so difficult to catch are we doing the same?

Farrar had a shocking game taking bombs, needs to stop thinking and just get in there and take it. Robertson is the one who needs practice, he has been dropping them all year.

Could be a smokescreen from Souths. They might hit t-Rex instead. Certainly Robbo can expect some as well.

He just needs a bit of practice with Matai, Choc and T-Rex running at him, should be sweet against the vermin with the practice, that is if they don't injure him in the process.

DSM5 link said:
Read in this mornings Terrograph that Souths intend to target Farah with bombs. 

We should take this easily then, if Souths game plan against us is to bomb the Tigers hooker.

Taking bombs is about confidence. Just ask Albert Kelly. Farrar has taken bombs before and handled himself okay. Hopefully he will be positive and make a few good takes early in the game and all will be okay. We have to limit their field position and opportunity to put big bombs up too.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
Made me laugh, I must be having a bad day :)

Ha, you and me both !!! The sad thing about my week has been that the highlight of it was 1 of the young ladies from the office next door to work coming in to ask if I could help them with the forklift haha

I think Farrar has been outstanding for us at the back this year and actually gives us an extra playmaker from the back. Some of his second-man play passes are poetry. Hoping it was just an off game for him on Monday night because before that game the high-ball hasn't seemed like a big issue for him.

Hillers, he's not been 'outstanding'; adequate, but not 'outstanding'.  The second play passes are not slick and he just doesn't run fast enough.  He's filling the hole better than Robbo did last year and is improving.  But, he's an adequate centre playing at fullback.  I just hope he's got his fullback act together for Sunday because Sutton and his little mate bomb from everywhere and they bring rain.   

Find a slicker second-man pass than Farrar's long flat pass to put Robbo over in the corner in the first half vs the Warriors. Not the only one he's thrown like that, and one not many fullbacks in this comp could throw. Robbo's first try vs Melbourne was also a cracking draw and cutout pass from Farrar.

3 try-assists in 5 games for Farrar vs 4 try-assists in 20 games at fullback for Robbo last year. And he already has more line-break assists(4 vs 3).

I think you've been a bit spoilt watching Snake over the years. In fact this year Farrar's try-assist and line-break assist strike-rate has been better than Snake's was in his golden 08 season.

Stats don't mean everything but the observations about his second-play passes were just from watching the game. Checking the stats after, I wasn't just imagining them.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4