CEOs: Let's change jersey numbers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
CEOs: Let's change jersey numbers

It was meant to be the chief executives meeting that decided upon the future of the NRL's salary cap.

Instead, the biggest development to come out of the meeting revolves around player's jersey numbers.

The five club CEOs involved – South Sydney's Shane Richardson, the Roosters' Steve Noyce, Brisbane's Bruno Cullen, Newcastle's Steve Burraston and Canberra's Don Furner – all supported the salary cap as it stands, despite the controversy caused by the Melbourne Storm scandal and the looming departure of Bronco Israel Folau to rugby or the AFL.

"We are all working within the cap and we all want to find the best ways forward but, in the end, it comes down to how much the clubs can afford to spend," Richardson said.

"We are not talking about one or two 'poorer' clubs but the majority."

The only real change suggested by the CEOs was to remove the current system whereby player jersey numbers reflect their position.

Such a move would allow Jarryd Hayne, for example, to decide against wearing the fullback's No.1, and instead choose any number he wished – No.23, say – and keep that number throughout his career.

It's a model used in the AFL, European football and American sports, and – importantly for the CEOs – could lead to a significant merchandising boost for clubs and players.

"It allows fans to identify with a favourite player when they are at the game and when they purchase a jersey," Roosters boss Steve Noyce said.

"The way positions are today, the numbers do not really reflect where people actually play and there is a chance for people to better identify with their favourite player.

"There are only two sports that retain numbers based on position and it is time we moved on."

Didn't they try that change jersey number crap in the short-lived Super League? Call me a traditionalist but I like it just the way that it is now.

What a bunch of tossers, any thing for a quick buck. Pretty much typifies where  the game is  at the moment. Are you sure the CEO's don't actually work for channel 9, because it sounds like one of their great ideas.

I thought they were going to announce a new ruling on what colour boots are allowed. Oh well, such a lot of pressing issues for the game, so first things first.

That's one of the stupidest suggestions I have heard for ages.

League numbers should be left as is, it's a timeless tradition.

OMFG merchandising boost - please :rolleyes:

Are you really that bothered by it? God the way you're reacting you'd think we're changing the shape of the ball or something....

It's a pretty standard move across all world sport, and if it is another way to increase revenue for clubs then I don't see how there could possibly be a problem with it.

Obviously there are more pressing issues in the game at the moment - but they have this conference every year, and it is a time for all the CEOs to toss up all sorts of ideas and bounce them off the rest of the CEOs.

I won't be distraught if this comes to fruition or simply fades away like 98% of the ideas which are raised at the CEO conference - but deadset, it's such a minor deal in the grand scheme of things!

I want to be number 1545146876541231654654132156485462

willstyles link said:
but deadset, it's such a minor deal in the grand scheme of things!
  Exactly.  Didn't they have anything to talk about, like TV rights and match scheduling kinder to the fans for instance.  Instead they just talk about a way to screw more out of the fan.  I think the whole selection of numbers thing is naff and American.  Does it happen in the Premier League?

Cant wait to see some unknown run out in jersey 7913624 so i dont understand the positional role he is supposed to play.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=willstyles link=topic=183231.msg261616#msg261616 date=1272973416]

but deadset, it's such a minor deal in the grand scheme of things!
  Exactly.  Didn't they have anything to talk about, like TV rights and match scheduling kinder to the fans for instance.  Instead they just talk about a way to screw more out of the fan.  I think the whole selection of numbers thing is naff and American.  Does it happen in the Premier League?
[/quote]

Of course it happens in the premier league. Paul Scholes is number 18 for example. John Terry number 26 etc etc. It's standard in world sport.

How on earth does this screw over the fan?!

And I'm sure those other topics came up for discussion. The salary cap was one of the things which they talked about (obviously the most pressing issue) and they have sent each CEO back to their club and asked them to come up with their suggestions for the salary cap (ie, Bruno Cullen has ideas about player discounts for 10-year vets etc, Sharks chairman Damien Irvine has ideas too) and the NRL will hear all proposals in a fortnight.

TV rights is not something which is going unnoticed either...

It's a model used in the AFL, European football and American sports, and – importantly for the CEOs – could lead to a significant merchandising boost for clubs and players.
  Screwing over the fan. 

In the meantime we put all our plans on hold until Chanel 9 can be bothered to announce their schedules 5 weeks or so hence.  You'd theik club CEOs might have some slight concern for their constituency beyond whether they want Perry 112 on their replica shirt. 

I like it.

Lolz at some of the clunge in here.

"Timeless tradition"? Hookers used to be number 12 or something right? Yeah, heaps timeless.

Jethro link said:
I want to be number 1545146876541231654654132156485462

Yeah, good one.

I think it's a top idea. Foran could be number 22, and we can retire it after he's dominated at Manly for a decade and a half.

Not heaps fussed if it's introduced or not, but the amount of tampons needed in this thread is ridiculous.

Matabele link said:
  Screwing over the fan. 

How's it screwing over the fan? You don't have to buy a jersey if you don't want to. You're not required to buy a jersey with a number on it that's for sure.

Dumb idea. In Rugby Union and Rugby League, the numbers relate to the position in which the players takes the team. Leave it alone. It is not one day cricket and that is stupid there as well.

Members online

No members online now.
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4