Changing of guard as Manly front up with fresh faces and attitude

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagleheart

Bencher
The Australian November 20, 2014 12:00AM
Stuart Honeysett

PRE-SEASON training is the last place you expect to find happy faces but yesterday at Manly it looked like a fresh start was exactly what the club had been waiting for.

After a turbulent 2014 season that saw favourite sons Glenn Stewart released to South Sydney and Anthony Watmough to Parramatta amid rumours of a civil war, the Sea Eagles returned to training at the Sydney Academy of Sport at North Narrabeen.

Stewart and Watmough weren’t the only familiar faces missing from the squad, with former co-captain Jason King having retired, while it was left up to veteran forward Willie Mason to lead the charge for the new recruits, with Feleti Mateo and Siosaia Vave not taking part in the session.

When asked yesterday whether it felt like a changing of the guard, Manly captain Jamie Lyon said it was always going to happen eventually. “Us guys are finishing up or retiring or been around a while, and getting a little bit older, so it was bound to happen,” he said. “It’s sad to see … our mates go but that’s footy.”

The changing of the guard will continue on Monday when recently appointed chief executive Joe Kelly arrives for his first day of work. His biggest challenge will be to try to secure halves Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans, with Lyon acknowledging they will be hot property on the open market.

“They’ve put in some good years of footy for Manly … so it’s going to be hard to keep them, but I’m sure the club will be doing everything they can to keep them here,’’ he said.

Coach Geoff Toovey was confident the club would retain both star halves, although that could be a tough ask under the salary cap, with both players expected to command $1 million a season.

One player who looked settled at training was Brett Stewart.

The fullback had been tipped to follow brother Glenn out the door until the landscape changed recently.

Stewart had expressed concerns about the direction in which the club was heading but that changed once the Penn family extended their ownership and Kelly replaced Dave Perry as chief executive.

“He’s looking good,’’ Lyon said of Stewart. “He’s looking fast and fit like usual and he’s still his jovial self.

Continue reading........
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/changing-of-guard-as-manly-front-up-with-fresh-faces-and-attitude/story-e6frg6n6-1227128798935

Nice to see a pic of Snake smiling at pre season training for the Mighty Sea Eagles.......this has made my day...! :)

I would love to see the smile back on Snakes face. It really seemed to be missing last year, it seemed the weight of the world was on his shoulders. This is by no means a criticism of him, I fully understand that his brother leaving (and being treated poorly) was having a detrimental effect on him.

I predict Snake is going to realize he has a couple of years to make himself a 3 time premiership winner. Which is a rarity in the salary cap era, but I think he (and Killer) will get there in 2015 or 2016.

I feel our premiership window for this generation has closed. We did very well to win 2 and be robbed in 2 GF's. I don't rate our forward pack as anything other than mid table. No stars in there just average first graders. Relying on 35 yr old Mason is hardly inspiring for go forward meters.

Did you see his games for The Knights last year Mic? He actually DID inspire them mate, sorry.

What is "this generation"

Half of our top 17 last year were under 25 - Tafua, Hiku, Foz, DCE, Starling, JSL, Buhrer, Lui, Symonds

mickqld said:
I feel our premiership window for this generation has closed. We did very well to win 2 and be robbed in 2 GF's. I don't rate our forward pack as anything other than mid table. No stars in there just average first graders. Relying on 35 yr old Mason is hardly inspiring for go forward meters.

Mick has written us off, we're now favourites right?

The only "star" we had in our pack last year was Choc with a torn bicep yet we finished equal first on points.

Add a year of experience to Lui, JSL, more time on field for T-Red, a few boppers added to the front row... I'd say we're placed quite well for another run.

Once thing I liked this week - is if we hold a presser after training, even if its 10-15 minutes - the press have actual words straight from the coach/captain to report on. WAYYYYYYYY better than making up crap to fill the void...

Mason on the wrong side of 35 , we'll be lucky to get 20 decent minutes a game from him. Lawrence a good solid front rower but not a leader, lacks enough aggression, Starling a plodder apart from his last couple of games but really a bench fill in player, Vave rejected by wooden spoon Sharks struggled to cement a spot there, Mateo couldn't crack a place at the Warriors and for half the season they were pretty awful, Tetevano rejected by Knights who won't be anywhere near the 8. We better pray that Jake T comes good in 2015 but he is still unproven in first grade. Lot of people praising Tom Symonds in 2014 but he was average at best, again no aggression or line breaking ability. Buhrer will be coming back from an ACL and won't start the year so he will be well behind with pre season training. Lui and JSL are good players but still young and hopefully as they mature get better.
Lost 2 x Origin/test players who were tough as nails and drove our forward pack with aggression and power, Fa'aoso who provided power and aggression from the bench which really lifted us in 2013 and we lacked in 2014 due to his injury & King on his day was also a leader but time for him to retire.
We will struggle against the big powerful packs again i.e. Dogs, Vermin, Rorters, Cows, Panthers, Broncos, Storm, Warriors. Mid table finish.

mickqld said:
Mason on the wrong side of 35 , we'll be lucky to get 20 decent minutes a game from him. Lawrence a good solid front rower but not a leader, lacks enough aggression, Starling a plodder apart from his last couple of games but really a bench fill in player, Vave rejected by wooden spoon Sharks struggled to cement a spot there, Mateo couldn't crack a place at the Warriors and for half the season they were pretty awful, Tetevano rejected by Knights who won't be anywhere near the 8. We better pray that Jake T comes good in 2015 but he is still unproven in first grade. Lot of people praising Tom Symonds in 2014 but he was average at best, again no aggression or line breaking ability. Buhrer will be coming back from an ACL and won't start the year so he will be well behind with pre season training. Lui and JSL are good players but still young and hopefully as they mature get better.
Lost 2 x Origin/test players who were tough as nails and drove our forward pack with aggression and power, Fa'aoso who provided power and aggression from the bench which really lifted us in 2013 and we lacked in 2014 due to his injury & King on his day was also a leader but time for him to retire.
We will struggle against the big powerful packs again i.e. Dogs, Vermin, Rorters, Cows, Panthers, Broncos, Storm, Warriors. Mid table finish.

Struggle like we did last year finishing the regular season second? Or struggle like we did in the finals with most of our pack out?

Also, you are VASTLY over-rating the impact of Fa'aoso. He was either suspended or injured or giving away penalties. He's really not that good.

mickqld said:

Agree mick.

We have a very average forward pack. Will be rag-dolled again in 2015.

Snake, skivvy & killer, though legends, are all fairly senior now. Killer's form wasn't great late in 2014 - 1st time he's been less than sensational (lost a half yard of pace - sure sign of age).

And our halves can't kick. I can remember sid kicking it out on the full a few times & foz is NRL leader for kicking it down the fullback's throat - though in 4 nations, for nz, he kicked 1 beautiful ball into the ingoal, under pressure, setting up an important try in the final.

I really hope we do well again though & perform above expectations.

We need JW-Hergreaves & Taumalolo in 2016.

cheers n push it up manly.

here we go again not a ball kicked and the knockers are at it again, this great club has always performed with so called reject players but all have wanted to play for our club. we have proven that a champion team with a winning culture and a will to win, will win more than a champion team with no culture, lets cut the negativity against the team and reserve your opinions until the season starts, remember the selectors coaches etc have created our culture and I am sure that all the knockers will be proven wrong again, Wait and see

mickqld said:
I had similar concerns about our dramatic loss of forward experience, class and grunt prior to season 2014. I don't any more.

In fact forward-wise we'll be stronger overall than last year. It's easy to pick flaws in individuals but when Manly run out they play as a team. There wouldn't be even a single rival NRL coach thinking 'oh good, at least Manly will be a bit easier next year'.

mickqld said:
Great..... & i went & renewed my new membership.

mickqld said:

Excactly why everyone will write us off again, and the play finals footy again, and again and again, and again.. it becomes so repetitive that sometimes we go loopy and start believing the hype... We will be in the 8 again, just don't know where

The reason manly were 'rag dolled' a couple of times by Souths, Dogs and the Cowboys towards the end of last year was because of attitude, not ability . The rot had well and truly set in by then from the players wanting out etc. We had the same forward pack at the start of the season and in round 2 we beat souffs and also beat the Roosters twice. It wasn't only the forwards who were off their game in the back end of the season. The same can be said of DCE, Lyon, Foran, Matai and even Snake. It wasn't a happy camp. Now that quantum are gone things will be different in 2015. The mindset that the team can't win because of the division should be a thing of the past.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4