Changing of the Guard in the NRL?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Killer03

Bencher
Please don't mistake this thread as a 'we're screwed negative thread'. It's not. I just wanted to get opinions on the NRL as a whole. The Roosters are struggling with the hype being the premiers, Souths (although winning this weekend) do seem to be on the slide and the Storm I think are starting to show a fair few cracks.

Those 3 and us were widely touted as the likely Top 4 for 2014 (and perhaps that's how it will end), but are we starting to see the emergence of new teams? The Tigers have been impressive....and then diabolical against the Warriors. The Titans.....I don't know I can't get excited about them even though they lead the comp.

For what it's worth I still see us as a top 4 team, and this is more around the others on the slide.....or is it more that the last couple of years the Top 4 have tended to push away from the rest and this year the 'rest' are catching up? Will this be a year where the Minor Premiers win 16 games and lose 8?

I think the Alex McKinnon tackle spelt the end of the Storm as a threat. Their tackling technique will come under the microscope of the NRL and all referees. Rabbitohs and Roosters have both been hampered with injuries and suspensions. Same as us. I think the Storm will just scrape into the 8. The other 3 will make it as well.
Remembering we have had the toughest start to the season and it will only be easier from here.

Tigers were ok against Warriors.They got slaughtered by the pinkies and the Warriors are dangerous over there when they get on a roll.Probably not this year but I see them winning a comp pretty soon.Brooks,Woods and Tedesco are the best young up and coming players in their positions by a fair way(obviously im treating DCE as a seasoned player here despite his age)

The 'new guard', the FORM clubs are Titans, Tigers, Parramatta, Panthers. So if your team starts with a T or a P, then you'll be top 4, anything else and you'l struggle to make the 8, and may probably see your coach replaced at least once during the season.

The tigers could only improve once they got rid of bunji, he has been dragging them down for the last few years. There is no I in team but there is in bunji

Early doors yet. I wouldn't be putting too much credence in ladder positions after only 5 rounds. It has been a very interesting start to the season though, no standout good team and no standout bad team.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
The 'new guard', the FORM clubs are Titans, Tigers, Parramatta, Panthers. So if your team starts with a T or a P, then you'll be top 4, anything else and you'l struggle to make the 8, and may probably see your coach replaced at least once during the season.

Hey just noticed that's the same places the AFL has new teams. Sydney's west and the Gold Coast.

If the Glenn Stewart saga was the reason behind yesterday's effort, then we are gone.
If it was just an off day, then we will win the premiership.

bones said:
If the Glenn Stewart saga was the reason behind yesterday's effort, then we are gone.
If it was just an off day, then we will win the premiership.
this is the most astute spot on post I've seen on this forum for years.
surprising it's from you Bones but I guess there's always been room for improvement in your game

It's more then one game. There was one poor half against the storm. One poor game against the eels. And now a poor game against the tigers. Let's hope the attitude is in the right place next weekend.

its only round 5,see if the tigpies and the eels and dragons are there at the end of the year when the hard yakka really starts

Tigpies win only 28% of games when either woods or galloway are missing, add farrah, brooks and todesco to that list and they could drop off quickly.

That said they have a good young team, interesting to see how the salary cap pressures inflict change on the over the next few years

The NRL is getting its wish to have an even competition, endorsed by the gambling lobby that makes money when favourites lose.
By not giving clubs a dispensation from the cap for long-term players, the NRL has allowed clubs like the Dogs and Easts to buy success at the expense of clubs that cultivate. We know what's happening at Manly with our long-term players taking up so much room under the cap, leaving us vulnerable to the poachers. The Storm is in the same position. They developed no-names into Superstars, and because it is costing them so much to retain the 'big three' they don;t have the money to recruit adequately.
The NRL must act immediately to reward clubs with long-term players.

Fluffy said:
Tigpies win only 28% of games when either woods or galloway are missing, add farrah, brooks and todesco to that list and they could drop off quickly.

That said they have a good young team, interesting to see how the salary cap pressures inflict change on the over the next few years
well,we will see how they fair now,apparently Tedesco will be out for 6 weeks with ankle damage,this kid isnt having much luck with injuries either,he is such a good talent

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2