channel 9 spin

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
TV ratings and crowd figures are down and everyone is pointing the finger. Some say its the prices others say its the draw, parking and the pies. For me its simple. When i turn the footy on over the last few years rarely am I entertained. The quality of footy on free to air is deplorable at times. Sure you might get half a dozen good games a year and every know and then, a clanger of a game surprises me but I have just got to the point where I dont bother getting my hopes up

Now the salary cap has a fair bit to do with it and as a fan I would have much preferred the NRL to go to the clubs last year and say , no cap inctrease this year but here is 600k to milk the english comp and union, get as many player back here to increase depth as possible but alas the top 10% just cashed in under the guise of helping the bottom 10 %

But thats not my point. The footy available on free to air is nearly always lop sided , I dont watch lop sided games for long without becoming bored and disinterested to the point I have now reached where i just dont turn on. . Manly flogging all comers being the only exception to the rule

Anyway the point, The NRL have bungled the scheduling with the AFL and the bulldogs v penrith game has to be moved in the schedule. Channel 9 in all of its football wisdom are quoted as being happy with the souths V tigers game as a replacement... WTF

Hang on Ch 9 have been bitching that the releasing the draw early has kept attendance down due to some sides not performing as anticipated, and now they have an opportunity to reschedule a game and it has to be potentially the most pathetic show piece of the year. This game could be over before the first ad break. In fact an ad break may be more entertaining. Maybe this is a strategy. Play the worst game possible so people are so brain dead they dont realise that the ads are on

Lets not forget that Manly play the storm and the warriors play canberra on the same weekend, both potentially very entertaining games but are seemingly not in contention for a replacement

Surely there is not that many tiger fans watching the tele. I live in leichhardt and have only see 1 person wearing a tigers jersey this season

I just wonder what strategy the channels will come up with when the ratings fall further. Because quite frankly Ive found other commitments on a friday night and sunday afternoon now and Ive just got used to being disappointed in what they are selling

Yeah this year in particular the free to air games have been unappealing.

Mostly cause they have been dominated by 2 clubs one being the donkeys which are boring to watch.

I rarely get emotionally invested in any NRL game that doesn't involve Manly. That's the same for most fans I would guess. Channel 9 pick their games based on the amount of those teams supporters who will tune in and watch, not on the likely quality of the game and the appeal to the general NRL fan.

The tv reason is simple.

The current Top 8 have had less exposure on FTA (46 times) than the bottom 8 (54 times).

Even worse, the love affair from Ch9 for the Eels, Dragons, Tigers and Broncos means the bottom six have appeared 47 times between them on FTA, while the top 6 are less at just 40.

The Ch9 boss can get on his high horse over his influence on the schedule, but he can't then complain when their own ignorance of genuine contenders for 'fan favourites' bites them on the arse.

As I noted previously, in 2001 the late season Manly vs Melbourne match outrated any two Sydney club match-ups, on FTA. The viewers get excited by a contest with quality. But of course, the Ch9 bosses 'know what we want' apparently.

They had to pick the first 20 rounds in advance,relying on last years form/player movements.That threw up a few "clods",but at least we knew what we were doing.There is no excuse for rounds 21-26.There was a fairly good idea who was going well and who was not when those rounds were released after r16.The game selections then,showed who they have their love affairs with.

If nine had any sense they would pick Monday Night Football as I have enjoyed lots of those games. (Not just cause of Manly but most have been good.

The second Friday night game and the hour delay on Sunday ruin it for me. I watch every game on fox providing it doesn't clash with me attending the Manly match.

bones said:
The second Friday night game and the hour delay on Sunday ruin it for me. I watch every game on fox providing it doesn't clash with me attending the Manly match,

I haven't watched the 2nd Friday nite or the Sunday delayed game at all this year

Berkeley_Eagle said:
bones said:
The second Friday night game and the hour delay on Sunday ruin it for me. I watch every game on fox providing it doesn't clash with me attending the Manly match,

I haven't watched the 2nd Friday nite or the Sunday delayed game at all this year

Pretty much exactly the same. Can't stand listening to Hadley and unless it's us I won't watch the Sunday game either, in this day and age there is no good reason not to show sport live.

Coincidentiall, last night I re-watched our epic clash with the Storm on the Friday night in 2011 when we won 18-4. There were 20,400+ fans there. I was at the ground, and it was spinetingling. Even last night's taped renun was compelling viewing. All Channel Nein commentators agreed it was "the most remarkable game of football we've televised"....
and dopey Channel Nein schedule Manly V Melb at Brookie on a Saturday night. Those in charge are clowns. How do they keep their jobs?

Hamster Huey said:
The tv reason is simple.

The current Top 8 have had less exposure on FTA (46 times) than the bottom 8 (54 times).

Even worse, the love affair from Ch9 for the Eels, Dragons, Tigers and Broncos means the bottom six have appeared 47 times between them on FTA, while the top 6 are less at just 40.

The Ch9 boss can get on his high horse over his influence on the schedule, but he can't then complain when their own ignorance of genuine contenders for 'fan favourites' bites them on the arse.

As I noted previously, in 2001 the late season Manly vs Melbourne match outrated any two Sydney club match-ups, on FTA. The viewers get excited by a contest with quality. But of course, the Ch9 bosses 'know what we want' apparently.

The real issue here is the fixed schedule. Phil Gould wrote about this last weekend. The fixed schedule was suppose to result in bigger crowds because people can plan. Unfortunately what has happened is that Ch9 are now committed to that fixed schedule even if their best guess as to who would be competitive is wrong.

They expected Parra to lift under Stuart, they thought WT would be better etc etc. Add **** refereeing to the poor scheduling and we have what we have now.

Ralphie said:
The real issue here is the fixed schedule. Phil Gould wrote about this last weekend. The fixed schedule was suppose to result in bigger crowds because people can plan. Unfortunately what has happened is that Ch9 are now committed to that fixed schedule even if their best guess as to who would be competitive is wrong.

I disagree.

It was never about 9's "best guess" as to which will be the best games.

There has been no real change at all when you compare fixed schedule with last year's arrangement.

Broncos on Friday nights, blockbusters like Manly v Storm of Fox only (Monday last year and again this year with fixed schedule then Saturday with mid season scheduling), No Raiders, Storm or Warriors games on 9 regardless of how they are playing (except when they play Broncos and maybe Dogs or Souths of course).

The only real change is its now easier for us fans to plan to go to the games.

Last year if the wife decided she wanted to do something on a particular weekend I would be like "Ok but I can't commit to Friday night, Saturday night or Sunday afternoon yet in case Manly is playing". And then the fight started...

I seem to be faring much better this year with a bit of notice.

I still think the scheduling is a joke and I would be much more inclined to watch other games on 9 if they were actually competitive, but the fixed scheduling is obviously not the reason for the reduced interest.

Ray Warren actually made a good point on the radio last week (I know!) when he pointed out the drop in crowds and ratings is more likely due to popular teams like Broncos, Eels, Tigers and Dragons going so bad.

I wonder if the same people who do not like the TV games are those who wanted the season draw in advance?

There was another thread re: re-scheduling bulldogs r25 game against da riff.Some suggetsed that Manly' scum game be rescheduled for the Fri night.Then what about people who have booked flights/accomm/etc for this (any) pre-scheduled game? I know we get some crap games/times,but at least we can plan in advance what crap games we can get to,or not!

The Newcastle - Brisbane game tonight had commentary from Matt Thompson, Wally & Lockyer. There were long commentary pauses during play, I thought I'd flicked to Gem & the cricket was on.

I personally wanted a fairer draw rather than the whole season scheduled at the start of the season. I don't watch Fri night football out of principal because I think it is totally unfair that some teams get every all the Fri night games. Each team should have a fair cut of the quota, that is more of an issue, the nrl just twisted what people actually want into what they wanted us to want - epic fail!

MissKate said:
I personally wanted a fairer draw rather than the whole season scheduled at the start of the season. I don't watch Fri night football out of principal because I think it is totally unfair that some teams get every all the Fri night games. Each team should have a fair cut of the quota, that is more of an issue, the nrl just twisted what people actually want into what they wanted us to want - epic fail!

I know you are, but what am I?

What genius decreed 9 as the magic number for a short form of the game? Why not 8? 10? 7?

wedgetail eagle said:
The Newcastle - Brisbane game tonight had commentary from Matt Thompson, Wally & Lockyer. There were long commentary pauses during play, I thought I'd flicked to Gem & the cricket was on.

They would be on a winner if they could connect all those pauses together, leave the whole nein commentary team at home & mic the officials instead.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4