Channel Nine's audacious bid to stop NRL matches for more ads

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan

CHANNEL 9 has launched a $1billion bid to retain NRL TV rights but with a catch _ time-outs during games for commercial breaks, and live Thursday night football

Nine boss David Gyngell and network CEO Jeff Browne will deliver their bid to the NRL's independent commission on Monday. It includes:
*INCREASING the overall time of a game from 90 to 95 minutes;

*HALF-TIME extended from 12 to 14 minutes to play more commercials;

*30-SECOND breaks for sideline scrum stoppages;
*30-SECOND breaks for line drop-outs;
*30-SECOND breaks between try conversions and restarts; and
*AT LEAST four games a season to be played on Thursday nights.

Read the full article

I like the idea of Thursday night games but stopping them for ads is an absolute joke

Nine showed great restraint. i thought they'd ask for players to use rollerskates and a lead ball.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Nine showed great restraint. i thought they'd ask for players to use rollerskates and a lead ball.

Johnathan,Johnathan,Johnathan.

Not sure thursday night games are a good idea because then they'll make sure we play one thursday game right after we just played a monday or sunday game

. . . and during every break the cheerleaders do a 30-second routine with pom-poms ala Indian Premier League Cricket, or basketball!
PLEASE.
The Independent Commission has a simple choice. Let the broadcaster change the game to suit couch potatoes, or protect and promelgate the sport by thinking of the fans who actually pay money to turn up and give the game its atmosphere.
I've said it before, if broadcasters win then all the matches can be played at the same venue with virtual spectators and an audio track of crowd noise, just like a video game.

The fact that channel 9 is trying to dictate the terms of the NRL is a joke.

Seriously, putting more stoppages in the game is the most stupid idea, it could turn ppl off the game.

I really hope 10/7 win the right, or the ALRC push back.

Next Nein will want to change the name from rugby league to gridiron.:huh:

First up, if Gallop drops his pants for one billion, he's a joke. Add 25% to that, and talks should start. As a news limited croney, he basically gave away the shop last time.

As the most watched sport on Australian television, The NRL should be in a position of power.

That means ultimatums by media companies.

I hope 7 & 10 join forces and blow 9 out of the water.

Ryan said:
First up, if Gallop drops his pants for one billion, he's a joke. Add 25% to that, and talks should start. As a news limited croney, he basically gave away the shop last time.

As the most watched sport on Australian television, The NRL should be in a position of power.

That means ultimatums by media companies.

I hope 7 & 10 join forces and blow 9 out of the water.
 7 &/or 10 need to beat the bid by 15% otherwise it will be Nines and then 9 has right of reply again

If there is a problem here it is Gallop, as he is the one responsible so far for communications between the NRL and Nine up to the first rights part of the negotiations.

The club CEOs were advised about the TV rights inside the annual report that Gallop presented to them recently. $1b was the bottom of the 3 forecasted estimates. The other figures were at $1.2b and $1.4b.
Those estimates were prepared through LEK Consultancy.

If Nine want to go down the track of offering the lowest figure but proposing to change the game & broadcast structure to increase their revenue then Gallop is the one who has led them there.

The IC need to make sure Gallops conflicted influence is prevented from here on in, to ensure other legitimate bidders can swamp Nines offer by the +20% figure to nullify the last rights clause.

Let's not forget that a media corporation gave us Super League; and a broadcaster took away most afternoon football, even though this is when players want to play, the quality of football is higher, and when fans want to go to the match. It also gave us Monday night football, when nobody really wants to go to the match. It gave us Brisbane on virtually every Friday night broadcast.
I'm sick of hearing that television rules RL; it may now, but only because the NRL has let it.
Television needs RL more than the other way around. Television must be the servant of RL, not the master.

The fine print has to include that

1) no Broadcaster can have ad banners running through on the screen or
2) have the Commentators spruiking the Broadcaster's Programs in commentary (see RWC and Block etc) nor
3) any surreptitous 'banter' discussing the the Broadcaster's Programs (see Voice or Underbelly etc)

These breaches currently are not counted as part of the advertising minutes and are not being policed by the Oversight Body. :mad:

And its irritating and purile for the League Fans to be bombarded with at present.

HappilyManly said:
The fine print has to include that

1) no Broadcaster can have ad banners running through on the screen or
2) have the Commentators spruiking the Broadcaster's Programs in commentary (see RWC and Block etc) nor
3) any surreptitous 'banter' discussing the the Broadcaster's Programs (see Voice or Underbelly etc)

These breaches currently are not counted as part of the advertising minutes and are not being policed by the Oversight Body. :mad:

And its irritating and purile for the League Fans to be bombarded with at present.

Should also include that nine must make attempts to show games live ie the hd channels.
If not give them to foxtel who will show it live.

Also dictate which games are to be one fta not the other way around. Mates of mine are hard core Bronco fans and they can't believe we got shafted last week with the BroTit game and would've preferred to watch the dogs game

To be honest I think this is something all the FTA networks will be looking at doing. The only thing to like about it at this stage, is that they will at least be paying the market rate.

Actually thinking about it a bit more, its probably not going to be that big of an inconvenience. The players take at least that amount of time to set up for scrums and it might actually do away with the ridiculous players rushing to form a scrum and having to stay there to stop the clock.

As I said, if they are willing to fork out the cash to do so and that means that money flows onto the game than I don't actually think its that much of an inconvenience anyway. All we will be missing is dead time in the game and considering no one seems to like what the commentators have to say anyway than you aren't missing out on much.

I don't mind the ad stoppage for more cash. If we want the dollars we have to realise the networks need it to be more tv friendly.

I'd like to see 80 mins of play, not 70 with 10 lost to deliberate slowing of the play and time running when conversions are taking place.

I did a basic report for some people and I'll post that, or a precis probably and you can shoot that down in flames you beer guzzling troglodytes!

:heart:

global do you think if the NRL said, 'No', they would say, 'OK no tv deal'?

The game is popular because it is an authentic, evolved pro team sport, that happens to be spectacular on tv. Do you think no-one will bid if the NRL demands control of the rules? Worst case, no-one will bid for a couple of months. Seriously, the game is a gold mine for tv stations.

I certainly think there would be an array of bids if the NRL demands control of the game.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2