Cheques in the mail

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rambo1987

Bencher
THIS is the vital slip of paper that could end the civil war which is tearing at NRL premiers Manly-Warringah.

But with the troubled club's co-owners no closer to peace yesterday and not having spoken for a couple of days, Scott Penn called on Max Delmege to "show me the money".

Delmege has said the funds - believed to be for at least $400,000 - will be delivered this week but his estranged club co-owner Penn will believe the property tycoon when he sees the cheque.

"If it has been pledged, we look forward to seeing it," Penn said last night.

"That would be a good result if the cheque is forthcoming. He's got the bank account details so it would be a good outcome."

Manly latest: See our club section

Asked if he believed the cheque was in the mail, Penn replied after a pause: "I wouldn't like to comment."

On the weekend Delmege flashed a bank cheque filled out for $500,000, saying that the unpaid money was an "accidental oversight".

In another day of high drama yesterday:

MANLY media manager Peter Peters accused Delmege of "un-Manly" behaviour;

THE premiership squad left during the club's biggest crisis in a decade, ahead of their World Club Challenge against Leeds, and determined not to let the ongoing brawl derail their trophy defence; and

MANLY'S highly regarded outgoing CEO Grant Mayer played down suggestions he could be enticed to stay on once his current contract ends in October.

Penn said the outstanding cash was not the end of the matter and there was more to come.

"This is what is needed now - all stakeholders need to contribute more over the coming months," he said yesterday.

More from Manly: Stewart has eyes for England

Gallery: Why Wolfman is Manly's favourite son

Gallery: Re-live the glory - Manly's wild GF party

Peters made his comments about Delmege after Mayer became the first high-profile victim of the club's internal battle.

"It is un-Manly to publicly support Grant Mayer on several occasions in the public arena and two days after saying that the two Delmege votes went against him," Peters said.

Penn addressed the players before they left saying they should focus on winning in England and everything else would be sorted out by the time they got back home.

"He assured us the Penn family was there for the long term and the problem was isolated at board level," said prop Jason King, adding it was not an issue for the players and nobody was talking about anything like that.

"We've been training months for these games so that's where our concentration is," King said.

"As far as the playing group is concerned we are professional rugby league players and that is what we are there to do."

Mayer said the situation was just a disagreement among the board that will be sorted quickly.

"I can't see it being a drawn out process, I think it will be resolved reasonably quickly," he said.

The CEO still has plenty of support but, asked if he could reconsider his decision to leave he replied: "It would be very difficult at this stage. People have made decisions and I've made mine."

Have stayed right out of this so far, but 1 thing I have noticed in most articles is that the Penns have no issue at all making snide remarks in the public domain, and are really pushing the divide publicly at every opportunity.

Personally, it is not endearing them to me at all

Both sides are making snide comments which is not becoming to any of them.

I did notice there was a plea on MSE for the posting on the issue to stop and for the Board to be left to settle their differences.  Perhaps there are some encouraging background discussions taking place ahead of restitution/resolution.

True, Delmege has had a bit to say as well, just that the Penns have come out stronger and harder against Delmege, at least that is the impression i have picked up from them and to me was shown pretty strongly in this article

I have stayed out of all the political moves on this issue so far, but the thing that has me the most worried is that they seem to be quite happy to be airing this very strongly in the public domain, and the intent behind that worries me a lot

I just hope for all to be sorted ASAP, preferably with both families and Mayer still involved.

Hello Kiwi.  I can assure you that old men rarely want their money issues aired in the public domain, especially if it's about non payment of money owed.  Embarrassing.  And for Zorba to put his little fat wombat nose into it is stupid, given he's a paid employee of the club.  Was it a strategic comment given his relationship to the Penns?  Seems to me that money politics was being played at a board level and someone got bitten, egos bruised and resignations submitted.  When all the dust settles I wonder if the Penn's will be viewed as carpetbaggers? (for you younger bloggers read up on American Civil War history)   

G'day DSM

Yes the Zorba input isn't the greatest, best to sit back and keep his mouth closed as most times he seems to open it, it does not work in our favour !!!

Are you sure Matai is not behind this DSM ? :p

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Are you sure Matai is not behind this DSM ? :p

Of course, why somebody had not thought of this previously doesn't seem feasible, great pick up KE, just shows to show what can be achieved by sitting back, keeping the emotion out of the equation and thinking the problem through rationally.

(not sure what the emoticon is for very funny comment by you but whatever it is please insert it here)

I'm currently not of the opinion that Matai is behind this problem Kiwi.  I know I've bagged him in the past but his efforts in the GF were sublime.  That neck thing which led to Beaver coming on and scoring, hell mate, I couldn't have orchestrated that any better that Matai did.  Wonderful, and very unselfish.  The reason I don't see him as doing the Machaevelli thing is I don't really see him as a product of the private school system.  I maybe wrong, and I might stand to be corrected.  If he is, perhaps my view on his involvement might alter.   

Phillip Dean (one of the club board members) is a private school graduate from Riverview. There are private school boys on both sides of the argument so that level of prejudice is not going to work.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6