Cherry-Evans denied release by Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

dowdz

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I know we have a Cherry thread but got this from NRL website.

Manly's fight to retain Daly Cherry-Evans appears to have become even more difficult, after it was revealed the star halfback requested a release from the defending NRL premiers.

Cherry-Evans' request to be cut loose from his current deal at the end of the season was denied last Friday, on the same day the 23-year-old turned down a new four-year deal with the club, as Manly desperately try to keep the Queensland Origin hopeful.

Cherry-Evans, whose current contract runs until the end of 2013, is putting the issue in the hands of his manager, Gavin Orr, who clearly believes the youngster is being undervalued by Manly - suggesting there are players in the code's under-20 competition on healthier contracts.

"I know players in the Toyota Cup on $100,000 and $120,000," Orr told Rugby League Week magazine.

"It's just not right that one of the brightest young kids in the game is on less than them."

Cherry-Evans confirmed he had turned down Manly's latest offer to tie him to the club long-term.

"We're obviously trying to get something sorted out as soon as possible and at the moment it's just not what we're looking for," he told NRL on Fox.

The Sea Eagles face significant pressure to retain their stable of stars, with fullback Brett Stewart strongly linked to St George Illawarra and young prop Darcy Lussick in high demand, while internationals Kieran Foran and Tony Williams could exercise get-out clauses and test themselves on the open market this off-season.

Maybe its just his manager putting pressure on Manly?? I think we will eventually give in and offer what there asking but it will be at the cost of many other players

yeah sounds to me like negotiations 101

1. Manly offer less than there willing to pay
2. Manager makes brings it to the media attn
3. manly make a better offer
4. hopefully DCE signs.

just watched nrl on fox and daly's response when ask the question over his future left me thinking he will not be sighing a new contract with eagles i hope I'm wrong :mad:

astro10 said:
just watched nrl on fox and daly's response when ask the question over his future left me thinking he will not be sighing a new contract with eagles i hope I'm wrong :mad:

Really? I remember he said he was happy at Manly and was hoping they could iron out a new deal to stay.

astro10 said:

He was just showing the club his value ;)

reading between the lines....i feel that the terms of his future contract are pretty close to the mark, if not right there. The sticking point is renegotiating his current terms for this year and next. If its true that stewart is going at the end of the year i am sure that the club will fix his terms for next year, plus a premium for this season tacked on given there is probably nothing we can do about topping him up this year.
Outside of that we hold him to his current deal and hope we can compete with other offers as he comes off contract next season

His Manager wouldnt be doing his job if he didnt ask for a release. Sounds like a tactic to bring it to a head.
Based on his current performances, he should be the highest paid player in the league, but that is not always how it works. His salary needs an increase but it cant just jump instantly.

Dan79 said:
His Manager wouldnt be doing his job if he didnt ask for a release. Sounds like a tactic to bring it to a head.
Based on his current performances, he should be the highest paid player in the league, but that is not always how it works. His salary needs an increase but it cant just jump instantly.

Yes that is right but Manly are only offering him 125k for next year, up from the 80k he is on now. We need to offer a better deal then that surely.

Ceagle said:
astro10 said:

Really? I remember he said he was happy at Manly and was hoping they could iron out a new deal to stay.

Didn't Will Hopoate say the same thing last year? has any player ever come out and said I hate the joint and can't wait to leave? so take what players say as rubbish actions speak louder then words

i agree that is embarrassing. As long it is only about next year, then there has to be room to move. A 125k offer tends to point to planned big increases across the board to retain many players. They arent that stupid. please...

torana355 said:
Dan79 said:

Yes that is right but Manly are only offering him 125k for next year, up from the 80k he is on now. We need to offer a better deal then that surely.
If they are offering him 125k no wonder he told them to shove it that is embarrassing for a player of his standing

To increase his salary this year means that we will have to release someone immediately. George? Joe? Farrar?

Lester 12 said:
torana355 said:
Dan79 said:

If they are offering him 125k no wonder he told them to shove it that is embarrassing for a player of his standing
Yes it is apparent he is now undervalued based on his performance last season and two games this year. But when he put pen to paper on the contract he thought that the deal was fair. He took a gamble and has lost, now he wants to in effect renege on this contract and up the money (I can understand why) Manly are looking to accommodate, but he also needs to put some of it down to good old fashioned experience...as in well that was stupid of me to sign a contract for that long that I am not happy with.....

But lets not go saying "His standing" he isn't up there with the greats of the game just yet

voicefromthehill said:
Lester 12 said:
torana355 said:
Dan79 said:

Yes it is apparent he is now undervalued based on his performance last season and two games this year. But when he put pen to paper on the contract he thought that the deal was fair. He took a gamble and has lost, now he wants to in effect renege on this contract and up the money (I can understand why) Manly are looking to accommodate, but he also needs to put some of it down to good old fashioned experience...as in well that was stupid of me to sign a contract for that long that I am not happy with.....

But lets not go saying "His standing" he isn't up there with the greats of the game just yet

Spot on. I understand he wants more money, but the contract he signed was fine at the time. If, (god forbid he has a bad season), does that mean the club can re negotiate a cheaper contract? Come on Cherry just find a pen. No doubt your money will increase if we lose some players

This is classic player manager's grubby tactics . Cherry is going nowhere , nor does he want to . Orr asks for a release knowing full well it would be knocked back immediately. Has a chat to a goon a the tele , and bingo all hell breaks loose . This pushes ahead negotiations where Orr has more bargaining power .

End result , more coin for Cherry this year and next , and a motza for 2014 onwards. And of course lots more coin for himself too .

Is there no coincidence this comes out after Cherry was on NRL fox tonight , and Kent exclusively reveals Blah, blah, blah ..... Then the story in the Tele is written by Ritchie with lots of quotes from Orr ?

Footy used to be fun , now because of the likes of the above piranahs it's becoming very taxing ( except for game day ).

If gallop & co hadn't stuffed up with the last TV rights deal then the clubs wouldn't have to fend for themselves and we wouldn't have to deal with all this player comings and goings crap rather than actual footy. This is all getting to be like one of those playstation premier league management sim games.

tookey said:
To increase his salary this year means that we will have to release someone immediately. George? Joe? Farrar?

Releasing players now won't help with the cap as you still have to pay them. Unles they are sacked for breaking their contract, but then you only save the difference between what they were on and whoever replaces them in the top 25.

I've mentioned in another thread, but the only real way to pay DCE more money this year is for other players to take a paycut OR, a few re-negotiating their current contract to move some money around.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2