Cherry-Evans to be next Maroons captain

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Cherry-Evans set to be next Maroons captain

Peter Badel, Foxsports

TO understand why former Maroons warhorse Petero Civoniceva believes Daly Cherry-Evans is Queensland's captain-in-waiting, you need to spool back to his teenage years.

It is now common knowledge just about every NRL club didn't rate the kid from Mackay.

Read More

Cherry-Evans set to be next Maroons captain

Peter Badel, Foxsports

TO understand why former Maroons warhorse Petero Civoniceva believes Daly Cherry-Evans is Queensland’s captain-in-waiting, yo
DCE1.jpg
u need to spool back to his teenage years.

It is now common knowledge just about every NRL club didn’t rate the kid from Mackay.

Fewer know the cutting words from Broncos scouts, who told Cherry-Evans he was “too slow” to play first grade. State of Origin? Tell the kid he’s dreaming.

Even fewer witnessed the work ethic that privately steeled Cherry-Evans to navigate obstacles that impeded peers who possessed superior talent but lacked his hunger.

Cherry-Evans’ first senior coach, former Brisbane Wests mentor Craig Ingebrigtsen, recalls the struggle.

Both Redcliffe and Norths told Cherry-Evans’ father Troy his halfback son, then 17 and as skinny as a Kenyan marathoner, had no future in the NRL.

Then Ingebrigtsen rolled the dice. From that point, Cherry-Evans would be the master of his own destiny, reshaping perceptions via sheer will.

“Daly worked harder than anyone I coached,” said Ingebrigtsen, now coach of last year’s Intrust Super Cup grand finalists Easts Tigers. “He leaves them all for dead in terms of work ethic.

“That field goal Daly kicked last week against Newcastle to win the game, that was no fluke.

“At Wests, he would place cone markers out. He would kick at them for 30 or 40 minutes religiously after training. He would have to hit the cones a certain number of times. If he had 40 kicks, he would want 35 out of 40 hits before he was satisfied.”

What else?

“He did the same with his passing game,” Ingebrigtsen said. “His left-to-right pass had to be as good as his right-to-left pass. Daly would get six or seven footballs and run and pass to the left. Run and pass to the right.

“Over and over.”

This is why Cherry-Evans is playing in Origin I on Wednesday night. While critics picked apart his flaws, they missed the competitive beast within.

“I remember people saying he wasn’t quick enough,” Ingebrigtsen said.

“So Daly decided he would make himself faster. He didn’t have a sprint coach, but he worked his arse off to improve his speed. He’d go down on the ground, get up and sprint, go down, get up and sprint.

“All this from a 17-year-old. There was no stone unturned.

“He used to come into my video sessions and pull a game apart. He’d say, ‘OK, stop, look here, we can beat them through the ruck there’. Or, ‘Get me a quick play-the-ball and we can get them on this edge’. I was amazed a teenager could read the game so well.”

Squeaky-clean, Cherry-Evans, at 25, is being groomed as an NRL statesman.

While Civoniceva isn’t pushing Maroons skipper Cameron Smith into retirement, he says Queensland has a ready-made captaincy successor.

“Matt Scott could probably do the job after Cam but it wouldn’t surprise me if Cherry-Evans gets it,” he said.

“Daly has a level head and the respect of his peers. He would be an excellent captain and he can learn a lot about leadership from Cam Smith.”

“He was never a captain of sides I had, but he had leadership traits,” he said.

“At Wests, he was the bloke who pushed the side around the field and the players responded to him.

“You see by the way he carries himself, he’s an ambassador for the game. The way he speaks to the media, the way he conducts himself, he’s an immaculate leader.

“You don’t hear about him ever being in strife. There are no airs and graces about him ... he is the perfect example for any young kid out there who aspires to play in the NRL.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/state-of-origin-manly-sea-eagles-star-daly-cherryevans-set-to-be-next-maroons-captain/story-fn2mcuj6-1226930940206
939682_6a8468bc_e3c3_11e3_8503_3c53ba7b1441.jpg

Future captain of Manly they mean.
Interesting how the article mentions he was rejected by the donkeys and then trained for Brisbane Wests but no mention at all of the success he's had at the Sea Eagles or the training he's done from the juniors to currently working with Joey.
Shine on in Maroon and White DCE.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/daly-cherryevans-is-our-next-test-leader-writes-kangaroos-great-darren-lockyer/story-fni3fh9n-1226896254031

Locky wrote the same thing last month, except he had Sid as the next Kangaroos Captain :cool:

Neither article refers to his connection to Manly :huh: Conspiracy :exclamation:

Not going to happen, the minute he comes on to replace cronk, the scumcam will throw him a hospital pass.

We need to document Manly's role in establishing DCE as a 1st grader, Origin player and Kangaroo.

He was overlooked in Qld, but we took him on as a teenager & brought him to Sydney in late 2007.

He played Manly Toyota Cup in 2008 (age 18) and 2009 (age 19) with Kieran, Buhrer, Hoppa, Lussick etc. This is where his potential came to fruition.

He played for our "reserve grade" team on the Sunshine Coast in 2010, when Manly had no NSW Cup team. Named Qld Cup player of the year.

2011 - Manly's NRL Premiership winning halfback.

All his senior footy is with Manly. Ignored in his home state until Manly enabled him to develop.

Sounds like manly and cherry were destined really. His attitude to the game is a mirror image of the club.

Shoe1 said:
All his senior footy is with Manly. Ignored in his home state until Manly enabled him to develop.

You are too polite @shoe1, they didn't simply ignore him they, rejected, discarded and insulted him.

Alan said:
Shoe1 said:

You are too polite @shoe1, they didn't simply ignore him they, rejected, discarded and insulted him.

You're right Alan - he should defect to NSW. Pity he didn't come when he was 15.

Alan said:
Not going to happen, the minute he comes on to replace cronk, the scumcam will throw him a hospital pass.

Interestingly on the footy show they asked Smith who he would pass the ball to in the final seconds to put on a match winning play. He said DCE. Cronk would not have been happy with that answer...

tookey said:
DCE discovered and brought to Manly by crusher/Hasler

I wrote that out of the official history. Surely Dave Warwick and Tooves were more involved with the junior teams in those days. Crusher was working on securing the services of Ashley Alberts and Dallas Rennie at the time ;-)

I don't understand this "too slow" tag that he was brandished with. You can't train speed (so it must have always been there), and he certainly is not slow by stretch of the imagination. I think he has great acceleration and is a very powerful runner.

The great thing with DCE is not only his footballing talents (which are many and varied) but his public relations persona. He comes across as a very articulate person, keen to talk to the media and just a friendly happy kid. He's one of those footballers that doesn't see the media side as a terrible intrusion but as part of his job and he seems to embrace it.

This kid has to be the face of Manly for many years to come. As for the future captain of Manly it will be very hard to overlook Foran. Neither of the two would let us down.

Yeah I think Foz is the future captain; he leads by example more than any other player at the club outside of Killer.

Snake said:
Yeah I think Foz is the future captain; he leads by example more than any other player at the club outside of Killer.

Agree totally...Foz is next in line.

As for ''leading by example'' throw in Choc, Skivi, Snake, Matty B just to name an obvious few.

And Cherry is in that group too, of course.

We are blessed with quality there.

RiverEagle said:
Snake said:

Agree totally...Foz is next in line.

As for ''leading by example'' throw in Choc, Skivi, Snake, Matty B just to name an obvious few.

And Cherry is in that group too, of course.

We are blessed with quality there.

I agree, but you kind of expect that from those boys don't you. I think it's the manner in which Foz steps up; there is just this amazing sense of coolness and calm about him, but he is in the game with so much intensity at the same time. It's a very special gift that not many players possess; Lockyer had it in spades, and I think Foran is just about the finest example of that attribute since the great man I just mentioned.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6