Cherry on top of the world

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it

IT was the farewell befitting a true club legend as Peter Peters ended his association with the Sea Eagles after 40 years.

Peter Peters with Will Hopoate after the grand final. Picture: SIMON CHILLINGWORTH

The club’s media manager officially finished his commitments after Sunday’s grand final following the controversial decision by the club to make him redundant.
In unprecedented scenes Manly supporters started chanting “Zorba, Zorba” during the fulltime presentations at ANZ Stadium as he stood proudly with his granddaughters Ashley, Tayla, Maddison and Ellody, soaking up the moment.
The same scenario was repeated when the players went back to Brookvale Oval and then at the leagues club.
“It was a wonderful way to go out, the fans were fantastic to me out there and I couldn’t be happier,” Peters said.
“Shouting out my name when the players had just won a comp - I felt embarrassed.
“I wanted to experience it with my granddaughters, and for them it was a wonderful moment they will never forget.”
A humbled Peters, who joined the club as a player back in 1969 and later went on to carve out a successful media career, said the reaction he received was overwhelming.
“I couldn’t have wished for more support from the northern beaches community,” he said.
Peters embarks on a new chapter of his life without his beloved Sea Eagles at front and centre.
“It will be shattering but I am only a full stop in their history,” he said.
“They need to find someone else to do the job and I wish him or her well.”
Peters will continue with his popular column in Manly Daily as well as working on his much-anticipated book, both of which he promises will be written without fear or favour as always.
“I am rating CEOs from one to 10 and there are a few noughts,” he revealed.
“I am going to tell the inside story of the club I love when the time is right - not now. “This is about celebrating, letting the boys have their moment in the sun.”
The Manly squad said last week they wanted to send Peters out on a winning note and they did just that.
And Peters said this Manly side was the toughest he had seen.
“They just won’t bend and they will find a way to win,” he said.
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/zorba-goes-out-a-winner/

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4