Choc - 250th NRL Game Tonight

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
In case any of you missed it, Anthony Watmough will play his 250th NRL game tonight. This is a great achievement from a local junior, but it will be even better in 8 weeks time when he plays his 250th game for Manly.

You can read a bit more about it and see an interview with Choc on the MWSE website here;

Chocs 250th

He is in some of the best form of his career and hopefully he can keep it going tonight, and with any luck the rest of the team will lift to help him celebrate this milestone with a victory.

I think a lot of people would agree Bradza, but technically speaking those 8 NE games don't count. No biggie as he'll clock up 250 (and some) for Manly in a couple of months anyway.

I know C&C but the fact he's a local junior makes the NE/separate club argument a load of crap. We'll need a big one from him tonight.

A courageous and loyal Manly man to his bootstraps. Choc doesn't know what "giving up" means. A true Manly legend.

Chip and Chase said:
I think a lot of people would agree Bradza, but technically speaking those 8 NE games don't count. No biggie as he'll clock up 250 (and some) for Manly in a couple of months anyway.

The NE games should count as the same club as Manly. The same as they should for Beaver's tries. There is a big difference in this situation to the dragons saying they have 17 premierships. For Eighteen years, both St. George and Illawarra competed in the premiership as separate clubs. This effectively giving them two chances at a premiership for the joint venture club should any premierships won during that time by either of this clubs be counted in the tally of the joint venture club. Watmough and Beaver only ever played for one club during any one season. It's not like they were scoring tries, or playing games for Manly and also for North Sydney and gaining an advantage and doubling their tallies. So IMO, beaver scored 180 tries and played 349 games at the one club.Choc is playing his 250th game for the one club. ST George Illawarra have won one premiership.
Congrats Choc.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Just to take that a bit further bones, would you consider Rod Wishart a 1 club player ?

Yep. He represented Illawarra his entire career. He never played AGAINST Illawarra. Once Illawarra entered the joint venture he didn't leave. He played where Illawarra played. One club man for sure.

Trent Barret, Brad Mckay, and probably a couple of others as well.

I don't think anyone counts the 2010 St Merge premiership as a St George Dragons premiership do they ?? I certainly don't, just like I don't count any of their player records on the St George honour roll. St Merge is a completely new club, as is the West Tigers when compared to Balmain and Wests.

The Menzies / Choc (and whoever else you want to throw in the mix ) Northern Eagles situation is unfortunate (on so many levels) but I don't think it's right to say they played for the "one club".

Chip and Chase said:
Trent Barret, Brad Mckay, and probably a couple of others as well.

I don't think anyone counts the 2010 St Merge premiership as a St George Dragons premiership do they ?? I certainly don't, just like I don't count any of their player records on the St George honour roll. St Merge is a completely new club, as is the West Tigers when compared to Balmain and Wests.

The Menzies / Choc (and whoever else you want to throw in the mix ) Northern Eagles situation is unfortunate (on so many levels) but I don't think it's right to say they played for the "one club".

Barrett is not a one club man. He played for Cronulla.
Brad Mackay is not a one club man. He played for the Western Reds. Even if he didn't play for the Reds he still wouldn't be a one club man, as he played for St. George, and left to play for Illawarra as a stand alone club before the joint venture. He played matches AGAINST ST George when he played for Illawarra.
IMO, Menzies played for one club in that he played wherever Manly were represented his entire career. He never played against Manly. But I can see why the record books show otherwise.

Yep that's the way I look at it too. Club records I'm fine to be separate but individual ones are different

Any manly player who played I'm 2002 for the eagles should have those matches counted as manly. The joint venture was dead by this stage and NRL license had reverted back to manly. The only reason the club was called the Northern Eagles in 2002 was the NRL didn't have the appropriate amount of time for marketing and licensing reason to allow us to be called manly.

If you remember the club had a different home jersey that was maroon, blue and white, the word Northern was removed from the logo and left the word Eagles on there.

From the round 3 win against the roosters at brookvale onwards many sections of the media had reverted to calling the club Manly.

Saint George - Illawarra = Joint Venture licence.

Wests Tigers = Joint Venture licence.

Northern Eagles was always Manly Warringah Sea Eagles owned licence (Norths never had one as they never made the cut and Manly threw them a lifeline to keep them involved but they chose to bite the hand that fed them and suffered the consequences in the end).

Hamster Huey said:
bones said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
Just to take that a bit further bones, would you consider Rod Wishart a 1 club player ?

Yep. He represented Illawarra his entire career. He never played AGAINST Illawarra. Once Illawarra entered the joint venture he didn't leave. He played where Illawarra played. One club man for sure.

Name the only player to play for Illawarra Steelers, St.George Dragons and the joint venture St.G/Illawarra Dragons.
Brad Mackay

RL Gronk said:
Hamster Huey said:
bones said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

Name the only player to play for Illawarra Steelers, St.George Dragons and the joint venture St.G/Illawarra Dragons.
Brad Mackay

Just saw a later post that had that info. Damn.

I don't count super league games as nrl games so Lockyer has not played 355 games. If you not counting Beavers NE games as Manly then you can't count Lockyer playing for Superleauge.

All of this debate has got me reading about Steve Menzies.

According to Wikipedia Steve has played 511 professional matches (including all of his representative games) and has scored 259 tries. He has amassed more than 1000 points off scoring tries alone.

He is the oldest ever player to feature in Super League.

I don't think we'll ever see another player achieve what he has. To make it a little bit sweeter he was a local junior who came from the beautiful suburb of Harbord.

Or as the local blow-in wankerati call it - Freshwater. They even managed to have the name officially changed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8