Choc and his bulges.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DSM5

First Grader
With Choc deciding, against the clubs wishes, to play on Wednesday with two bulging discs in his neck, is there a 'duty of care' here? What role do the team's doctors play in this? Is it completely up to him? What if he had concussion would the decision be his alone? Playing on with this, I would imagine serious ailment, does it cancel out any insurance payout for us if he misses games for us due to exacerbating his neck injury?

I dont think it was totally against the clubs wishes was it , didnt he just say that obviously they would prefer him to rest but origin is to big to miss? Even with players fully fit im sure clubs would rather have some of their stars rested and fresh rather than battling on but this is just how it goes.

I get what your saying though , this is obviously and injury which he can do more damage to isnt it.. so im not sure who it is entirely up to??

Choc risks serious injury and could end up a quadriplegic. It's the same injury that puts Johns out of the game.

The doctors should make a call on this and rule him out. If not "duty of care" has been thrown out the window and knowing the consequences Choc could risk losing any insurance payout.

Doctor Yeo is a spinal injury expert and Choc should have a talk to him at the very least.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday DSM5 when I read the article below.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/league-legend-andrew-johns-warns-nsw-state-of-origin-star-anthony-watmough-about-the-seriousness-of-his-neck-injury/story-e6frexv9-1226390671914

This is a huge risk in playing choc in a no contest game,we're 6 series origin games down they should can origin.
Besides who even remembers origin a week later, it's not worth injuring club players even afl no longer have an origin game.

I'm not overly religious but i will have a prayer for the bloke. Although, i can't see anyone involved risking a players long term health for a football game.

Why can't he protect his neck from extreme extensions like that boy Tate does?

The whiplash effect would then be minimised.

Choc is an adult and an extreme Athlete - only his Fiancee could influence him to stay at home and watch.:angel:

Plus it could just be hyperboles from the Blues Camp :dodgy:

Wishing all the Manly Boys a fun game and safe game - the rest can suffer for their egos :p

Hope it doesn't rain or I will need the prayers against hypothermia :angel:

Let's hope Ricky treats him with the same 'respect' he did Jamie and gives him only seven minutes of game time.

Not good news at all, very worrying.

I'd rather see Choc sit it out indefinately until the physio's & doctors are happy with it. No point pushing what is just a niggling injury into something that could end up being career ending or life changing. Be smart Choc, take a break.

Bit hard to try and have a crack at NSW for playing him when he has run on in Manly colours for the past couple of games

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:
This is a huge risk in playing choc in a no contest game,we're 6 series origin games down they should can origin.
Besides who even remembers origin a week later, it's not worth injuring club players even afl no longer have an origin game.

AFL are re-introducing Origin next year.

State of Origin drew more than 4 million viewers for Game 1.

Your argument has no merit.

clontaago said:
PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:

AFL are re-introducing Origin next year.

State of Origin drew more than 4 million viewers for Game 1.

Your argument has no merit.

AFL aren't re-introducing Origin next year. They are toying with the idea of an all star game in the preseason, not an Origin contest.

I love Origin and love watching Manly players play in it. If Choc knows the risks and is willing to take them on I'll support him 100%. If it was a total duty of care on the doctors than collision sports like league wouldn't even exist.

It is the center piece of the game

Yes above GF's and test matches in terms of ratings and revenue

Kiwi Eagle said:
Bit hard to try and have a crack at NSW for playing him when he has run on in Manly colours for the past couple of games

I think he only got the injury properly diagnosed after the last game for Manly. I don't think anyone is having a crack at the NSW Origin camp.

I don't think Manly should risk playing him either if it's as serious as reported.

Yes your right it doesnt matter whether he is playing orgin or NRL. This injury wont heal in a week or two and while he is playing he is risking worsening the bulge and having to have surgery. If it gets that bad he will be out 4-6 months.

Only a rest and treatment to have the bulge heal will fix this problem. You can not possibly continue to play NRL like Choc does and expect this to heal.

Is the club entitled to compensation re salary, if a player is injured playing in these games that are deemed so important?

Quite frankly I couldn't give a rats who wins these exhibitions. The premiership is what I'm interested in, and if Manly players are injured that has a direct bearing on our prospects ala T-Rex. Stuart can go on the hate trail. I know lots of Queenslanders and they all seem like nice people to me.

DSM5 said:
Is the club entitled to compensation re salary, if a player is injured playing in these games that are deemed so important?

I believe the nrl and its predecessors take the line that:

It's a great honour to play these games, and
The players get paid, and
The players can always say no, and
The soo docs can rule them out so......

If they still get injured, there is no compensation.

Globaleagle, I thought that if one was picked, and then said no, you couldn't play for your club that weekend. I might be wrong though. If I'm right then there's a real reason for cap relief for the time that a player is injured in this extra game.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6