Choc is officially retired

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
PROSZENKO
Anthony Watmough has played his last NRL game.

Watmough has told those close to him that he is losing his battle with a chronic knee injury and will be forced to retire immediately.

The former NSW and Australian backrower hasn't played for Parramatta this season after struggling to recover from a knee operation. It's understood he will likely need to go under the knife again, so badly has his knee degenerated.

Advertisement

Watmough signed a lucrative four-year deal with the Eels last season, but struggled to make an impact in the blue and gold due to knee and other serious injuries he has carried through a career that started at the Northern Eagles in 2002.

When news broke last month that there were fears for his future, the man dubbed 'Choc' was determined to complete his rehabilitation and play some role in Parramatta's premiership campaign. However, it has become evident that the knee problem has got the better of him, with Watmough rarely spotted at the team's training sessions at Old Saleyards. In some of those he has participated in, the premiership-winning forward has barely been able to walk, let alone run at the intensity for which he is known.

It is a sad end to a glittering career that spanned fourteen years in the top grade. While he finishes up at Parramatta - where he marked his milestone 300th game - Watmough will best be remembered for his feats with Manly.

Watmough was part of the Sea Eagles side that won two premierships in a golden run that included 10 straight finals appearances. He was honoured as a life member of Manly, although he left in acrimonious circumstances when the club refused to offer him the money he wanted for a contract extension. He was subsequently released with a year remaining on his contract, transferring to arch rivals Parramatta on a long-term deal. The wisdom of signing a player in his thirties with such a long injury history has been debated ever since, given Watmough's deal takes up a big chunk of the Eels' salary cap.

However, his premature retirement could be a blessing for a club that is facing the prospect of being docked points and being deemed not cap compliant due to a raft of dodgy contract deals.

One of Watmough's third-party agreements is at the centre of the NRL's investigations. It's alleged Watmough's TPA with ScoreCube was not properly disclosed to head office, raising the prospect of heavy sanctions against the club. There is no suggestion Watmough, his management or the TPA provider did anything inappropriate, but his retirement could ease financial pressure his third-party agreement inadvertently created at the club.

In a provision under the agreement between the NRL and the players' union, players suffering a career-ending injury are entitled to a full payout. The good news for Parramatta is the sum - in Watmough's case believed to be up to $2 million - won't count on the salary cap.

It's believed the NRL will seek a full medical report before agreeing to any severance pay and that insurers will also make their own enquiries. It's understood that process will soon be underway, although an official retirement announcement is likely to be some time away.

While he never came close to reproducing his best form for the Eels, his transfer likely had some positives. Watmough played a key role in luring another Sea Eagle, Kieran Foran, across to the blue and golds.

The Eels have no shortage of backrowers, with Beau Scott, Tepai Moeroa, Manu Ma'u and Kenny Edwards among those capably filling the void.

How good it would have been if both Choc and Gift gave it away at the end of 2013 and we hadn't been rorted in the grand final. They both would have been worthy 3 time premiership winners going out on an ultimate high. It may have also saved some of the **** that happened after that and also halted any physical damage that they were doing to themselves.

Last edited:
Signing him for four years when everyone knew he'd be lucky to survive two more seasons shows how stupid the Doesn'tmatta officials are. I guess they don't have to worry as the money will come from the pokies.

Signing him for four years when everyone knew he'd be lucky to survive two more seasons shows how stupid the Doesn'tmatta officials are. I guess they don't have to worry as the money will come from the pokies.

Exactly, live by the sword, die by the sword. It amazes me that the blatently obvious can't been seen.

Realistically, it's an ignominious end to a pretty fair career: Australian and NSW representative honour, 4 Grand Finals for 2 Premierships.... For a long time he was the war wagon that just kept turning up, always putting in hard yards and leading from the front both in attack and defence.

Sadly enough he chose to burn his bridges and give nasty, spiteful interviews with the bottom feeders who fanned the flames and engendered a web of deceit built on a framework of lies that grew from little more than innuendo and out-of-context quotes...

I doubt he'll be warmly welcomed back into the Manly fold...

i wonder what type of 'golden handshake' the eels officials have offered him(off the record,of course) to go now to help with the cap rorting. as stated he should be paid in full but i wouldn't be surprised if he was offered a little something extra to go now.

The Insurer will only pay out the full contract if the injury was unknown at the time of signing him. (Choc was freely discussing his injury in the Media. How the Parra Rehab facility was so much better than Manly's etc)
http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/pa...ter-injury-complications-20151208-glij4s.html

The NRL has also said that this is their stipulation too, to omit the payout from the Cap. It's to prevent Clubs signing players on for terms that they will unlikely fullfil.

It will be cosely looked at by other rich Clubs, who are the only ones that can stack their roster whilst risking a payout.

Last edited:
I wonder with the knowledge that the eels season is over, when they get a long overdue penalty with loss of competition points, that really makes any type of swansong for Choc pointless.

Realistically, it's an ignominious end to a pretty fair career: Australian and NSW representative honour, 4 Grand Finals for 2 Premierships.... For a long time he was the war wagon that just kept turning up, always putting in hard yards and leading from the front both in attack and defence.

Sadly enough he chose to burn his bridges and give nasty, spiteful interviews with the bottom feeders who fanned the flames and engendered a web of deceit built on a framework of lies that grew from little more than innuendo and out-of-context quotes...

I doubt he'll be warmly welcomed back into the Manly fold...
Pretty fair career? Are you kidding me. You are letting what happened in 2014 overshadow what was a great career.

Choc did carry on abit in 2014. But he should be remembered as one of Manlys greatest forwards, forget about the origin and test appearances. He was pound for pound one of the toughest forwards to ever wear the maroon and white.

Physically the bloke is a croc now because of the disregard he showed his body during his career at brookvale.

4 grand finals
2 premierships and a wcc
That's a mighty fine effort and you can't down play the leadership he showed when des left.

If it is over we should forget what has happened since 2014 and remember how the rough kid from Narrabeen became a dual premiership winning hero.

Great career yes he mouthed off. But he done good by our club how many times did he carry the team on his back with tough yards.

Sad end for one of Manly's best and I still count him on the reserves bench for Manly's all time best team. In his time he was a most influential player for Manly and despite the bitter taste we may feel in our mouth for unwise comments made in the last 2 years of his career, we shouldnt forget the ne'er say die attitude he displayed in his best years. He's worthy in my mind of being remembered for what he gave Manly, not for a bit of silliness at the end.

Pretty fair career? Are you kidding me. You are letting what happened in 2014 overshadow what was a great career.

Choc did carry on abit in 2014. But he should be remembered as one of Manlys greatest forwards, forget about the origin and test appearances. He was pound for pound one of the toughest forwards to ever wear the maroon and white.

Physically the bloke is a croc now because of the disregard he showed his body during his career at brookvale.

4 grand finals
2 premierships and a wcc
That's a mighty fine effort and you can't down play the leadership he showed when des left.

If it is over we should forget what has happened since 2014 and remember how the rough kid from Narrabeen became a dual premiership winning hero.
You're overstating my understatement lol!

Choc was a great warrior for Manly, but his slagging off of the club and coaches took the shine off, in my opinion..

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6