City V Country

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
Does anybody care about the result of this match?
It has no relevance. Originally it pitted players who were playing in the country against players from the ARL at the SCG, and was a big deal - a way of unearthing rising country talent.
Now these players are in the NRL and compete week-to-week.
The NSW selectors don't need this game to know the form of the candidates for SOO.
The only reason for the game is to give fans in country areas the chance to see quality football. So, why not scrap this non-event and make every NRL club play one 'home' match in a country area? The NRL would have to compensate the NRL clubs so that they would not be out of pocket, but it would rightly give fans in the country a greater chance to see first-grade standard RL live.

The risk of injury is too great it should be canned or maybe be an U23's game and country players should be not playing NRl. winning the GF is 100 times more important then City/country matches. Just saying.

I like it

Its nice to see some fringe rep players get a little recognition.

loved seeing Hicks play a few years back, it was well deserved

No way!!! City country is as important to many country people as state of origin is to you guys. If you axe city country it will be another in a series of decisions that are kiling rugby league in the bush.

I'd say Buhrer and Wolfman will get a run this year, ask them if want to play cause i'd bet my life on the fact that they do.

That said I do believe that experienced origin players should not be picked.

Pick players like Buhrer, Sims, Barba, Everingham, Idris etc

Exclude Buderus, Ennis, Lewis, Watmough, Scott, Luke Bailey etc

It's worthwhile as long as the coaches select their teams in the right spirit. Don't pick guys that are already Origin players or have been there & done it all. Grab the guys that are floating around the level but not quite there for whatever reason & see how the respond in that kind of representative match scenario.

north coast eagle said:
No way!!! City country is as important to many country people as state of origin is to you guys. If you axe city country it will be another in a series of decisions that are kiling rugby league in the bush.

Did you read my original post carefully?

I said that instead of one match played by seasoned professionals that you should have 16 matches spread over country areas in NSW and Qld.
That is promoting RL to the country, not what you suggest.
I also question your first statement that City V Country is that important. It was in the early days (1960's) when they actually were country players and it was a big deal at the SCG. I remember Country winning one year and it was huge.
However, those days are long gone because any country player with a sniff of ability is playing in the NRL and gets to compete on a weekly basis.

I used to love City Country and it was a great contest. I will never forget 1975 when the country lads got up. The loss of top League talent in the bush over the years - AFL, Soccer and Rugby plus the poaching of players at young ages affected the standard of the bush, leading to the Origin concept. When I was young, the 13 import rule existed, meaning that players in the bush found it hard to break into City clubs and unless they were superstars, it just didn't happen. Now the standard in the bush is lower.

Funnily enough, the players love the idea and enjoy playing for one or the other.

From what I understand, this is the last year of City Country. I am going to Mudgee to see the game - looking forward to it.

While i love seeing the country boys getting a win over the city guys. It does concern me every year that the players risk injuries, which affects there club.

I dont think it is fair clubs are expected to suffer over a game that could be played at some other time of the year.

The Who said:
north coast eagle said:

Did you read my original post carefully?

I said that instead of one match played by seasoned professionals that you should have 16 matches spread over country areas in NSW and Qld.
That is promoting RL to the country, not what you suggest.
I also question your first statement that City V Country is that important. It was in the early days (1960's) when they actually were country players and it was a big deal at the SCG. I remember Country winning one year and it was huge.
However, those days are long gone because any country player with a sniff of ability is playing in the NRL and gets to compete on a weekly basis.
Yeah read and understood. Whilst the games in country are a good idea, there is pride and history in the country jumper. I look forward to city vs country every year and I would be devastated if it was discountinued. There is still a strong rivalry between city/ country in the bush that would be lost if replaced by club games.
City vs country is important to me and I believe that it is important to many of the players that have their origins in the bush.
I agree it is no longer a showcase of county talent and I do like the idea of club games being played in country areas.

I'd like to see the game stay but make sure it is made up of country players outside the NRL.

Only select them from the group competitions and the city sides can be made up from the NSW Cup sides.

Maybe put a restriction of no player from either side have more than 5 games NRL experience.

That way, if a player had a couple of games at NRL level and then went bush, he may be able to use this game to get recognised again. The country guys could use it to do the same.

I'd say this would be more interesting to fans (i would find it more interesting anyway) and would be a thrill for the country players who would mostly not get a crack of a representative jumper.

This game is the biggest waste of time since waiting for gallop to apologise to snake, or bellamy to coach with honour, or expecting the roosters to have their salary cap properly investigated, or seeing a bulldogs player actually come from canterbury.

I support country.

No point to the game. In years gone by it was different but to say it is a origin trial is a pile of crap. We don't need this game to pick the NSW team. Also I would pissed off if a Manly player suffered a season ending injury in a nothing game like this.

I love it because its footy.

I hope Buhrer gets a City jumper. I honestly believe he can handle Origin and would be great utility for the Blues off the bench. His form warrants it as well. Hopefully he plays and they give him some time playing hooker to show what he can do.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6