Cleal 'driven out by infighting'

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Out of the frying pan and into the fire Crusher. Just go and shut up....you and your mates have done enough thanks.

Who are these people at the club who want to interfere with crushers recruitment? Do these people think that they can do the job better than him?

Why didn't the club sign Des and crusher to long term deals earlier in the season? The clubs problems seem to stem from when perry started with the club. Send him back to the dragons now.

Plenty more dark days ahead for this club as it is run by fools. Don't blame Des and crusher as it is obvious that they wanted to stay but the clubs incompetance failed to secure them long term.

He's just looking for excuses. Of cause the odd person will get in the way of negotiations. Those guys need to grow up and understand they don't own the club. They just work there.

I don't know much about this. But, from the outside looking in, the "they had the chance to sign Des 6 months ago" line is effin bull****. I don't know if this question has been asked yet but if anyone can shed some light on it that would be great.

Why would it be a priority to re-sign a coach who still had 18 months to go on his contract?

Shouldn't player retention and the current season be the focus? Couldn't it have waited until the off season?

The first direct quote from a staff member citing board interference

Again rather than crying out about what has happened maybe it is worth looking at the cause.

Crushers job was player recruitment - people are entitled to feel aggrieved if they are responsible for a task but do not have complete ownership. I feel this in my current role which is why I am leaving

Keep in mind that the club didnt secure a major sponsor until july 1 and even with the benefit of half a season sponsorship, money was in short supply.

lsz said:
Crushers job was player recruitment - people are entitled to feel aggrieved if they are responsible for a task but do not have complete ownership. I feel this in my current role which is why I am leaving

Fair enough, if you don't like it, you leave. But tell me in what circumstance the big boss (not the coach or recruitment mgr) should not be involved in negotiations relating to monetary matters?

I have heard that Manly was the only club that had the coach and the recruitment manager running the show. Really, shouldn't it be their job to recruit and manage players. Surely it should be left to the board or at least with the blessing and directive of the board to negotiate contracts?

WAMF historically i have always owned the P & L for my department which includes the salary / contracts

I report into the MD my results on a monthly basis but he does not control my area.

As long as I meet the key success measures (similar to Des winning the comp and staying within the cap) I am left alone. It is effective management

Part of the reason for me leaving is losing some of the budget control which is necessary for me to do my job

Stevo said:
I have heard that Manly was the only club that had the coach and the recruitment manager running the show. Really, shouldn't it be their job to recruit and manage players. Surely it should be left to the board or at least with the blessing and directive of the board to negotiate contracts?

Also we are the only club to make 3 out of the last 5 grand finals...and not rort the cap...

Stevo said:
I don't know much about this. But, from the outside looking in, the "they had the chance to sign Des 6 months ago" line is effin bull****. I don't know if this question has been asked yet but if anyone can shed some light on it that would be great.

Why would it be a priority to re-sign a coach who still had 18 months to go on his contract?

Shouldn't player retention and the current season be the focus? Couldn't it have waited until the off season?

That's exactly spot on. It has been stated that our finances at the time were not exactly oozing out the seams and probably still aren't. Well perhaps slightly better now with meagre prizemoney that we've picked up (albeit we are still running at a loss for this season).

Crusher stated the club should of went to Des and said - "Here's a contract. How long do you want". Oops didn't mention anything about $$$$$$$ !!!!

Also about being 'Professionals' - yeah right .... Try standing on your own two feet Crusher.

All of this has been about cool & calculated maneuvering (ie. Revenge against the Board/Powerbrokers) on the part of Des & the gang. No thought has ever been put into how this would affect the players & fans.

Of course this is just my opinion.

All we can say now is - see ya & thanks for the Premierships !!

Yeah that's fine mate. But it sounds like Des at times held the board to ransom. Example-why was his contract signing so important when he had 18 months to go on his contract?

To be fair look at how the board responded at the end (with the additional $) you can understand Des wanting that sooner and playing hardball over it

Not sure about that - the one place (as we are finding out) you need stability is in the front office

I would think 18 months ahead is leaving it a touch late

Stevo said:

NEGOTIATIONS

From my dealings with the club I found it the opposite. While Crusher identified talent and recommended players for signing, and then spoke with the player and agent about joining the club he had no involvement with the drawing up the contract and determing and then negotiating the price.

At other clubs recruitment officers can give you a written offer in 24 hours and usually signs the offer themself.

I found the effort to get a written offer from Manly far more drawn and frustrating than at other clubs that I have dealt with. And I am sure Crusher was regularly frustrated from being hounded by Agents , chasing up the paper work.

Sure Crusher had more involvement with the NRL coach in coaching the team than other recruitment officers do. But he did not have a hands on role in coaching at training. I think the role between Crusher and Hasler was a successful one and with a budget far less than other clubs the recruitment of players has been good.

lsz said:
I would think 18 months ahead is leaving it a touch late
Possibly in this circumstance lsz.
However, we really do appear to be a club that is literally living from pay packet to pay packet. Des and Crusher know this. Plus there have been budgetary cuts to the jrs and other areas relating to football matters which wouldn't have pleased these guys.
Then you have a dog in shining armour approach Des with a brand new state of the art facility (paid for by the taxpayers), with all the bells and whistles he could dream of that Manly couldn't provide and an open cheque book to sign whoever he wants on his team.
He was always leaving.

18 months? surely you jest Isz. I would have thought 12 would have been more than reasonable. Cleal and Des are employees of the club. They shouldn't be running the place. When Cleal says that others from the club were trying to get involved in recruitment, that would seem to me to be perfectly reasonable. If the CEO wants to get involved in recruitment and contracts then good. Ultimately he's responsible for the good governance and financial well being of the club. If Cleal is responsible for recruitment, who's looking over his shoulder to see he's acting responsibly. Seems that these two blokes were becoming a little precious. Crusher says he is 'excited to go to the Dogs'. Says it all really.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7