Cleary appointed as an NRL Consultant

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HappilyManly

Journey Man
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...m (Daily Telegraph | NRL)#load-story-comments

NRL coaches endorse obstruction rule, move to change golden point in finals
54 minutes ago
Fatima KdouhThe Daily Telegraph

AFTER weeks of controversial obstruction decisions, NRL club coaches have debated how the rule is adjudicated then endorsed the current system.

Despite the current interpretation causing mass confusion among fans and even forcing Cowboys coach Paul Green to admit he’s clueless about the rule, the current system had been given the tick of approval according to the NRL.

In a statement, the governing body said coaches had endorsed “the current system which allows some level of discretion for match officials to determine the significance of any contact and whether the defence is impeded”.

Coaches gathered in Sydney on Wednesday to discuss some of the pressing issues impacting the game including the bunker, changes to extra-time during the finals and the match review committee.

It was decided that the MRC would now lay charges against players within 24 hours of the fulltime whistle, with the rule to come into effect from round 10.

Each game will also be reviewed by two MRC members, instead of one, in the hope of bringing more consistency in charges.

There has seemingly been an increase in instances of foul-play in the opening rounds of 2016 and club coaches debated the merits of using technology to penalise incidents. They also urged referees to make calls on such matters rather than relying on video evidence.

The NRL also said a recommendation would be put to the competition committee to consider changes to how the golden point rule is used at finals time.

Last season’s golden point thriller between the Cowboys and Broncos would be a thing of the past, with a new proposal of five minutes extra-time each way in the event of a draw before the game goes to golden point.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg also announced that former Panthers coach Ivan Cleary had joined the NRL to assist with match review, judiciary and refereeing issues.

“Ivan is one of the most experienced coaches in the game and he has a great feel for what the clubs want from our match and judiciary officials,” he said.

“So our coaches can now be assured that we are getting input from someone who has a real feel for the game from the coaching perspective.”

**** did Barrett steal your lollies you have had it in for him from the get go!
No but Cleary is a decent coach... The other has not coached jack **** on his own yet. He's a puppet for Bozo..Sooner he breaks free of the 1970's dribble the better.

No but Cleary is a decent coach... The other has not coached jack **** on his own yet. He's a puppet for Bozo..Sooner he breaks free of the 1970's dribble the better.

No different than Barrett he has never won a premiership. Aside from being a manly junior I don't understand the love affair with Cleary!

No different than Barrett he has never won a premiership. Aside from being a manly junior I don't understand the love affair with Cleary!
Seriously, Cleary has coached one team to a GF and an injury riddle Penrith to the Preliminary Final. He is a former Manly player and has the culture of the great 1990's team in his blood. Are you telling me you prefer dartboard Barrett to that?

"How do you become a **** coach?"

Clearly answers with 20 page reply......

*not my opinion just seeing humour

It's important to have someone with Cleary's (recent) experience at NRLHQ.

He had the Warriors and Penriff competitive and is aware of the issues facing Coaches in this era.

I find his presentation super boring, which would suit the back office environment.

It's a smart appointment for once :)

One thing to make this appointment which on the surface looks pretty smart. Lets just hope they act on some recommendations. Anyone can get feedback and ideas.

Lets just hope they give the man some time to consider the options rather than implementing ideas on the run. The nrl do love the instant fix

I'd take Cleary as a coach in a heart beat over Barrett. I still think Barrett will turn out to be a good coach if given time (more than one season). The difference is I believe we will have a squad capable of winning before Barrett is capable of winning. To be honest I would take Dollar Des back right now, as much as I'll be shot down for that thought haha!

Seriously, Cleary has coached one team to a GF and an injury riddle Penrith to the Preliminary Final. He is a former Manly player and has the culture of the great 1990's team in his blood. Are you telling me you prefer dartboard Barrett to that?

Not saying he isn't a good coach however if you a judged by premierships Cleary has duck egg. Neither has Barrett however he needs time to show us what he can do. The team has had a horrendous schedule and he has had to be pretty creative with his selections just to field a team. Calling him a Dart board coach is laughable and yes at this stage I would prefer Barrett as he has been pretty impressive.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7