Cliffy To Coach??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MK Eagle

Bencher
Its obvious the harmony & attitude in the Manly NSW Cup side is shocking atm.
Now theres plenty who dont find this grade relevant but it really is.
If we were to have several injuries as in 2010, you want the blokes to have a positive, confident mindset to step up to the top grade.
Many will argue as long as theres a couple of players with the quality to play top grade, results do not matter.
What this really reinstates is the passion & commitment Toovey reflects on his players unlike ANY other coach, many teams with players in this situation just plod along if there is no pressure to hold their position in the 17 for next week, the effort & results usally show this.
Tooves has provided a smokescreen on this fact by still getting the best out of his players every week, but the issue needs to be dealt with.
Not about to bash Willo who gave his best as an unfashionable player, but lacks important areas in coaching , namely respect from the players.
The results in comparison with the squad do not match up....
Really think its time to find a new NSW Cup coach with Cliffy at the top of the List & maybe Beaver involved also??

I hope Beaver remains in the club in some capacity. But I'm not sure if he's cut out to be a coach. He is too nice a guy. I remember when he captained Manly and it wasn't a success.
I think he would be better suited to a management role.

Cliffy has been there and been unsuccessful.

Maybe the NSW cup would respond to a bit of beaver instead?

hmm not sure if Beaver is the man for the job, remember when he was forced into being the captain for a while, he was the first person to admit that it was not his gig. however with so many champions connected to the club, surely we must be able to find someone. don't think Willo is the right guy, his talents fall far more into the media, promotional side of things and we should be using him in a different way

The Who said:
I hope Beaver remains in the club in some capacity. But I'm not sure if he's cut out to be a coach. He is too nice a guy. I remember when he captained Manly and it wasn't a success.
I think he would be better suited to a management role.
The late Graham Murray was also known as a nice guy and he became very good coach .

From what I was told Cliffy got caught up in the politics last year and didn't do a very good job with the side

I bet there are more than a few current nrl coaches that would struggle getting wins with Manly's current NSW Cup side. Also, worth noting that Manly is coming last in the NYC.

If GC lose to Melb, the NYC team will have the opportunity of offloading the spoon to GC with an upset of the panthers on Sunday. They haven't finished the season too badly but if Jake T isn't playing their chances diminish.

Also, I don't think Cliffy and Beaver are the answer for NSW Cup coach. How about another club legend - Brett Kimmorley?!
jokinggggggggggg........

If you watch the Eurosport clip on youtube about Beaver, he states that he is not interested in coaching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqGDP6S7onU

IQofalimabean said:
I bet there are more than a few current nrl coaches that would struggle getting wins with Manly's current NSW Cup side. Also, worth noting that Manly is coming last in the NYC.
Not so sure about that - theres players like Hiku,Hasson, Gower, Farrar, Sene-Lefao, Skinner, Tonga with NRL experience plus players of good potential like Cunningham, Sao, Gutherson, Chisolm, Higgins, Gagan & Lawton......again this side should have been a definate finals contender at very least.
Another point is the amount of players who dont want to play for him, shown by leaving the club & outragous scorelines showing lack of attitude!!
The NYC squad is very, very young compared to most & has had to mix & match on a weekly basis.
Watch & compare the efforts the players make in NYC compared to NSW Cup - massive difference.
NYC learning combinations & new players adjusting yet having a go, whilst the NSW Cup just go through the motions & now & then showing they can more than match most teams when they have a dig.

Brilliant film. Beaver must have been embarrassed running through the town in football gear. Lovely place to live and play RL.
What an asset he'll be to Manly in the years ahead; perhaps in recruitment, mentoring and one day as CEO.

Cliffy is a good coach & we could do a lot worse. I think he'd do a much better job with this side than Willo has.

the attitude problem has merit, think of Georgie R, he did not have the greatest impact in the NSW cup team but has been going fine in first grade since he got back into the team

If the idea is that the NSW cup side provide the first grade with players on request that can rise to the occasion, then Willo hasn't done such a bad job. The players that MK Eagle mentioned who have come up and played well, must be some sort of tribute to the coach surely. If they come up out of the NSW cup side and play like bunnies, then I'd be concerned, but they don't. They all seem to be prepared to play well and that's what we want from that division. It's like the old reserve grade, the grade that I think should be resurrected.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6