Club great ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Jamie Lyon

If he produces 3-4 more seasons of this type of footy for us, imo he will go down as 1 of Manly's greatest and be a talking point in the all time Manly team debate

The blokes just keeps on producing a very high level week in week out

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Jamie Lyon

If he produces 3-4 more seasons of this type of footy for us, imo he will go down as 1 of Manly's greatest and be a talking point in the all time Manly team debate

The blokes just keeps on producing a very high level week in week out

Yep

Manly's greatest side has Michael O'Connor as 1 of the centres

He was slightly before my time. What do the older members of the forum think of Lyon taking that slot with a few more years like this one ?

He deserved that kind of recognition when he stepped up and had everything to do with us winning in 08', without him that year we would have been lucky to make the 8.

he's better than Oconnor ever was, and thats not a shot at Mick, he was a very god player, but Lyon is better.

Although i hope he doesnt keep up that rushing out of the line nonsense.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Manly's greatest side has Michael O'Connor as 1 of the centres

He was slightly before my time. What do the older members of the forum think of Lyon taking that slot with a few more years like this one ?
O'Connor was very good,but Lyon is great..
I can remember as a younger fella O'Connor's games and he was dominate in attack and with his goal kicking.Killer is a full on champ and there is few in his league.
For the last 1/2 hour I've been trying to remember a bad game Lyon has played for Manly!
And for the hell of me I can't think of any.
This bloke is a modern day legend!!!

Tough call, Mick O'Connor was fantastic for us.

I find it very hard when comparing players of the modern era to those of players in the past.

For example, how do you compare Wombat to Snake...both exceptional (in their day) and niether "better" than the other.

Yes, O'Conner was probably as good as Lyon, and a terrific goalkicker (not that Lyon isn't).
The best back we ever had, and are likely to ever have, was Bob Fulton. If you never saw him play then you really missed the most dominate player of his era.

Mick was a standout in a great era for Manly. I always thought that Craig Innes was in this category, mostly for his defense. But there is no doubt that Jamie would be lining up to pinch the other centre spot alongside Bozo in the greatest Manly team if he keeps up these types of consistent performances.

A yes, Craig Ingliss, the Kiwi we called ' The Postman'  because he always delivered.
We've had so many great players.

Fulton-Lyon-daylight.

lyon is a freakish player for his size and build

he is so damn consistent-that's what makes a champion!

I loved Snoz, but I reckon another year of Lyon in this sort of form will see him rise to be our second best centre ever. O'Connor had the benefit of a pretty good side around him most of his career, and certainly a fairly dominant playmaker in Cliffy Lyons. If Jamie can keep carrying our attack with inexperienced / underperforming halves then he deserves some recognition

Rambo1987 link said:
Lyon has been our rock - him and Ben Kennedy have been the 2 best buys for Manly over the last 10 years

Best since Arko captured Bozo.

Mal Reilly is up there too.

This guy is hands down one of the best over all packages I have ever seen at manly.

He has so much skill and class it's beyond incredible. Wrap him up, slap a legend jersey on him and put him in the annuls. Your kids will ask you about him

Michael O'Connor was a brilliant player but just slightly less robust in attack physically than Lyon....I enjoy having guys in the team who will roll their sleeves and not just relying on conjuring up magic.
That's probably doesn't explain my opinion very well, both are/were exceptional players but as in all of life...opinions vary !

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4