Coach Odds

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
Bookmakers have installed Nathan Brown as the coach most likely to be dumped mid-season.

Sports betting agency Sportingbet Australia has installed Brown as the $3.25 favourite to not see out the regular season, ahead of Roosters coach Chris Anderson at $6.50.

Surprisingly, North Queensland's Graham Murray is on the third line of betting at $11 and Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes is next on the list at $15.

Brown is under pressure after the Dragons experienced another slow start to the year that has netted only two wins. The most recent, a gutsy 28-16 win against Penrith, brought his odds in slightly from $3.50, but he is the second favourite result overall - the agency is offering $2 on all 16 coaches surviving until the beginning of round 25.

"Our view is that Nathan Brown is no longer a rookie coach, he's got experience under his belt," Sportingbet chief executive Michael Sullivan said. "For that reason we expect better things, especially at a signature club such as St George Illawarra.

"Until their fortunes turn around he's going to be the favourite."

Brown's cause hasn't been helped by a horrific injury toll which has claimed Mark Gasnier, Dean Young, Simon Woolford and Jason Ryles for extended periods. Untested rookies have had to fill the void.

"A lot of fans and media think because a kid is playing first-grade footy at 19 or 20 that he's definitely 100 per cent a first-grader," Brown said. "If you were a building a house, you wouldn't get eight apprentices to build it, you'd get two apprentices and six people who are qualified.

"People don't take that into account in professional sport. They think they'll go in and be geniuses, but it doesn't happen overnight."

The biggest mover in the market over the weekend has been Matthew Elliott. The Panthers coach started the round at $51 but his odds were slashed to $26 after his side had their fifth successive loss, to the Dragons.

Elliott was bracing for a backlash after another poor performance.

"I've moved out of the dark room and I'm in the desert with the vultures circling," Elliott said.

Manly's Des Hasler and Melbourne's Craig Bellamy are considered sure things to remain at the helm throughout the year after being quoted at $101 to be sacked.

THIS ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN PRIOR TO THIS WEEKENDS GAMES. i DARE SAY SMITH WOULD HAVE FRIMED DRAMATICALLY.

Source: The Sun-Herald

Smith is using the old trick of distraction and appearing to be getting stuff done by causing obvious disruption. All with the short term goal of looking like a long term planner. My guess is he will get away with that for a while.

With the injury toll, Brown has the worst hand of cards.

Seems like the pressure is on Graham Murray as well. I guess NQ have been thereabouts over the past few seasons without taking any silverware.

Johns will not be coaching in the forseeable future. He is contracted to the 9 Network to at least the end of the 2008 season. Beyond that my view is that he will continue his role with 9 and do coaching consultancy work with a number of clubs, much like his Matthew Johns does at the present with the Storm

If he coaches the cowboys like he coaches NSW it's a deadset surprise we haven't seen more of there 06 form.

Like Knight's with Joey Johns - NQ have JT. The coach has little to do with it. Remember when Thurston was injured at the back end of last season? LoL. NQ were easy beats.

Smith is using the old trick of distraction and appearing to be getting stuff done by causing obvious disruption. All with the short term goal of looking like a long term planner. My guess is he will get away with that for a while.

With the injury toll, Brown has the worst hand of cards.

Exactly. Notice how no-one is discussing the 70 points put on them last weekend.

the dragons wouldn't be that stupid to get rid of brown mid season, it would be handing over a poisened chalice, no one woudl be able to get a dragons premier league side to perform at the top level, if anyone should go at the dragons it should be the conditioning coach, over the years the dragons have consistantly had more injuries than any other club and things are much the same in '07.
On those odds if Anderson has another heart attack and kicks it do you get paid???

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4