Coach rankings

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Half way through Tooves second year, I was thinking about him in comparison to others and where he might fit. Don't know if criteria for good coaching is position on ladder, player management, dealing with injuries, recruitment, game strategy or all of the above and more. Here and now, this is how I see it.

1. Maguire
2. Bellamy
3. Bennett
4. Hasler
5. Toovey
6. Robinson

Thoughts and rankings of others?

I'd have Tim the tool man Robinson at three. Cleary at 6...he's a smart operator.
Agree maguire is going about business very well.

I think Tooves is still growing as a coach

1 Hasler
2 Bellamy
3 Maguire
4 Robinson
5 Toovey
6 Cleary

I'm sure to get howled down by the so called intellectual bigwigs but Bennett is becoming as relevant as Tim Sheens,a fossil from the past whose glory years were mythical,without what i'd call creative accountancy from Brisbane and St George,he gives players confidence but without exceeding the cap (At Brisbane through the 3rd party deals,at St George through the chin costing $50k) i doubt any of his premierships would have actually happened,Bennett will not get Newcastle any closer to a premiership

I'm an intellectual bigwig......

But I'll let you off this time.

:angel:

1 Hasler
2 Maguire
3 Robinson
4 Bennett
5 Toovey
6 Cleary

This thread must eliminate the myths, that's what I have done.

1. Bellamy
2. Hasler
3. Maguire
4. Bennett
5. Cleary
6. Robinson
7. Cartwright
8. Toovey
9. Flanagan
10. Furner
11. Elliot
12. Price
13. Griffin
14. Potter
15. Neil
16. Stuart

Who is Neil?
I also had to google Griffin, turns out he is a legendary creature with the body, tail, and back legs of a lion; the head and wings of an eagle; and an eagle's talons as its front feet. In other words, a myth.

mickqld said:
1. Bellamy
2. Hasler
3. Maguire
4. Bennett
5. Cleary
6. Robinson
7. Cartwright
8. Toovey
9. Flanagan
10. Furner
11. Elliot
12. Price
13. Griffin
14. Potter
15. Neil
16. Stuart

Bellamy is a myth.

I want you to consider how well the scum went in the 2008 GF and perhaps more recently against the Tigpies last night. Common denominator is no Cameron Smith (alias Captain Scum). In 2007 Smith signed a letter of intent to leave the scum and go to the Gold Coast, that was until the 2nd contract was presented to him and he stayed.

So to this day the scum continue to get the benefit of that cheating. Bellamy has one premiership and that was last season. If he hadn't retained captain scum from the cheating he would have won nothing.

The only criteria for what makes a good NRL coach are consistent success or consistently improving poor teams.
Currently Hasler would be my top pick, and Bellamy and Bennett have plenty of runs on the board.
Maguire, Robinson and Toovey have all done well so far - albeit with pretty good quality cattle. Cleary might be the next up-and-comer if he can keep the Panthers improving.

1. Bellamy
2. Hasler
3. Maguire
4. Robinson
5. Bennett
6. Toovey
7. Flanagan
8. Cleary
9. Cartwright
10. toss of the coin for the rest
Can't rate Hasler 1., remembering how bad the Dogs were earlier this season (no Barba). Impressed with Robinson for his 1st year in NRL. Ratings are for right now, could change as season progresses.

The cattle at their disposal is too much of a variable.

Neil Henry must be pretty poor though. He's got plenty of good players and he's going like a busted.

But forced to make a choice, as much as I hate to do it, I'd go with Hasler. He leaves very little to chance and there's a reason Greenturd stooped to such depths to get him.

What I think separates Hasler and Bellamy from the rest is their ability to take the ordinary or average player and turn them into quality first graders. And Hasler did that with so many players at his time at Manly. And Bellamy has done the same at the Scum.

Maguire is impressive having finally made Souths a powerhouse (goddamnit I hate saying that). But they've had some good quality for years (much like the Dragons had under Nathan Brown) and just couldn't rid themselves of a losing culture.

Robinson has also done the same with the Roosters, providing them with a real hard underbelly (something they have lacked for 10 years).

Maguire is a decent coach but getting rid of sandow for Reynolds could be all he needed to do so hard to tell.

Haslers had his day. I was always worried tooves would kick on somewhere else if des had kept on with us and I like tooves better as player person coach so I am happy to watch des carry on like a goose in blue and white and not find reasons to defend him like I did when he coached us. Still miles ahead of Craig grapple crusher chickenwing knees in calf two sets of books crying in the sheds 2011 can't say isn't (ain't ain't a real word) severely hammered as an origin coach Bellamy.

Is it an indication of how lowly the coaching ranks are that someone who has 14 NRL Games experience is in most people's top 5 with Robinson. Tooves i think would be anywhere from 6 to 10 at the moment, I think the top 5 are without a doubt Hasler, Bellamy, Bennett and Cleary. Maguire after those 4. To me Tooves is in the next bracket

Top End Eagle said:
Craig grapple crusher chickenwing knees in calf two sets of books crying in the sheds 2011 can't say isn't (ain't ain't a real word) severely hammered as an origin coach Bellamy.

Or CGCCKICTSOBCITS2CSISHAAOCB for short.

Melbourne are a Chicken-winging Head-kicking Egomaniac Arrogant Team Including No Goodness - Salary Cap Usurping Meatheads.

Shorten that Jatz!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8