Coaching is the issue, because the attitude is there.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If the defensive attitude from the manly players wasn't there they would have lost by 40 when the dragons made 1772 meters for the match, Instead they kept the dragons to one try. There is nothing wrong with the attitude. But there might be something wrong with limiting opposition teams go forward which comes back to coaching.

If the defensive attitude from the manly players wasn't there they would have lost by 40 when the dragons made 1772 meters for the match, Instead they kept the dragons to one try. There is nothing wrong with the attitude. But there might be something wrong with limiting opposition teams go forward which comes back to coaching.

They played St George FFS...they are hopeless also

Nope.

The Dragons are the most inept attacking line up in the game. Even their own 5/8 came out and basically said so.

The fact that we let them make 1772 is testament to our lack of enthusiasm last night. How well the Dragons execute their plays has nothing to do with our attitude.

I'll also add, that the same coach and the same structures were operating last year when we went within one victory of taking out the minor premiership.

Another false syllogism. I don't see any obvious problem with the coaching.

People forget that this is a new team. Each year there is a new team that has to learn various lessons, and hopefully grow and develop as the season unfolds.

I didn't see all of the match last night but it seems Mateo was losing the ball all the time, even Turbo dropped it. You can't give up that much possession and win, even against St George.

Foran is obviously unfit and playing to help out the team ( and coach). I didn't notice anyone not having a crack.

Toovey hasn't become a poor coach overnight. And teams who start the season on fire aren't always firing at the business end. I have never seen such panic from Manly fans as I've witnessed here over past weeks.

That one victory away from a minor premiership theory is flawed on so many levels.
Disagree.

It's a fact. Sure, there "footballing reasons" that contributed to why we ended the year poorly (as well as injuries), but we won enough games last year to come second on the premiership ladder and that can't be disputed. Something must have been going right for us to beat the eventual premiers in round 2, the eventual GF runners up at Brookvale and the defending premiers twice in the same year.

If you run a fine tooth comb (as you like to do) over our structures and what not, I am sure you'll find some issues (many that I would probably agree with), but you could do that with any of the 16 teams in the competition. The fact still stands, that we were two points off the minor premiership.

Well there is one thing that cannot be denied:

If we lose to the Raiders at essentially a neutral venue next weekend we have gone from top to bottom in 7 months.

No matter how you slice it, everyone in the organisation will have to be held accountable.

There was a rally in 1999, there may need to be a rally in 2015.

If that's required I'm in (again).

NYEagle

Did Toovey not have his contract extended under Penns watch? So if Penn thinks 2V is not good is it not Penns fault that 2 V is coach?

Disagree.

It's a fact. Sure, there "footballing reasons" that contributed to why we ended the year poorly (as well as injuries), but we won enough games last year to come second on the premiership ladder and that can't be disputed. Something must have been going right for us to beat the eventual premiers in round 2, the eventual GF runners up at Brookvale and the defending premiers twice in the same year.

If you run a fine tooth comb (as you like to do) over our structures and what not, I am sure you'll find some issues (many that I would probably agree with), but you could do that with any of the 16 teams in the competition. The fact still stands, that we were two points off the minor premiership.
The forwards were off the mark alllll year, our backs kept us in games and the forwards played well above their real levels.

Everyone was raving about our forwards in the first half of the season I surely wasn't and stated so, the clincher was the win against the Roosters at Brookie for me that confirmed to me we did not have what it takes.

Once injuries set in any lack of depth was going to expose our real soft underbelly and amplify it to the point where we really were a bottom 8 side once larger teams got into their groove.

The first half against the Bulldogs in the Semi is where we really are at, the normal fatigue factor of the Dogs losing their sharpness and allowing their defence structures to slip was our saving grace.

Even going back to 2013 semi against Souths leading 14-0 early--- even in that game the writing of the future was being shown to us and only our class/composure was getting Manly through the big games.

The forwards were off the mark alllll year, our backs kept us in games and the forwards played well above their real levels.

Everyone was raving about our forwards in the first half of the season I surely wasn't and stated so, the clincher was the win against the Roosters at Brookie for me that confirmed to me we did not have what it takes.

Once injuries set in any lack of depth was going to expose our real soft underbelly and amplify it to the point where we really were a bottom 8 side once larger teams got into their groove.

The first half against the Bulldogs in the Semi is where we really are at, the normal fatigue factor of the Dogs losing their sharpness and allowing their defence structures to slip was our saving grace.

Even going back to 2013 semi against Souths leading 14-0 early--- even in that game the writing of the future was being shown to us and only our class/composure was getting Manly through the big games.

You're really just reaffirming my point; If there was a problem with the coaching, we wouldn't have played well above our "real levels". I think in 2014 and 2015, we are a couple of decent props off challenging for a premiership, but we wouldn't have won so many preliminary round games if there were serious deficiencies in the way the team is coached, nor would we have made the 2013 GF if that was the case either.

I think times have changed and maybe Tooves is on the nose with a selection of the playing group, but I don't believe his "method" is flawed. At times last year I can recall Gould praising our attack as the best in the league, stating that all sides play with the same structures in attack, but Manly do it quicker than the others, and take the right option more often than not.

I also remember in the match against the Souths (rd.2), Gould praised the way our edges defend and move as a "unit". In the end we couldn't compete with the big packs, and that put a lot of strain on our edge defence as we were stretched in the middle; a lot of points were scored on the wings as a result.

My comments are not in relation to Toovey as a coach just replying to the over-used line "we were one game off last year" some people are using this line as if that should automatically mean we are a top 8 team this year.

Tooves this week will almost be forced into picking Soggy and who - Horo? So Mason and Burgess, then Lui Symonds and Buhrer with Soggy, JSL, Jake T and Horo?

Is there another better option than Horo playing NSW Cup?

We got smashed in the ruck on Saturday night. The draggies were allowed to slow our play the ball down and they were much more aggressive in defence. We need a spark around the ruck and I really would like to see Jayden Hodges brought into the 17 as he can help with that. Ballin is a great defender but does not hurt teams with his running, we need to have someone who can draw penalties from the markers and Hodges can do that. I would like to see more variety.

I also put it down to the lack of punch we have up front. We need some younger guys to freshen the pack up a bit, youth I think is the answer!

We got smashed in the ruck on Saturday night. The draggies were allowed to slow our play the ball down and they were much more aggressive in defence. We need a spark around the ruck and I really would like to see Jayden Hodges brought into the 17 as he can help with that. Ballin is a great defender but does not hurt teams with his running, we need to have someone who can draw penalties from the markers and Hodges can do that. I would like to see more variety.

I also put it down to the lack of punch we have up front. We need some younger guys to freshen the pack up a bit, youth I think is the answer!
So more Mason and so on.

This is the problem. We need guys who get tackled and then work to get straight up and in turn either speed up the ruck or earn penalties. If you have large oafs labouring to stand then you can never get a roll on and your attack flattens and stagnates.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6