Come home Hoppa, All is forgiven

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Bearfax said:
. . . I think Will was influenced by his father and the family financial need. . .
I think that is pretty obvious. Will is a serious young man who would put his family responsibilities above his personal preferences or goals. I won't cheer him at Parramatta but he's no gold digger.

Ralphie said:
mickqld said:
an't blame him for taking the rediculous coin on offer at Parra. He and Hayne , if they stay fit, will turn Parra into a more competitive team as will Arthur. Hayne is an enormous influence on any team he plays in. If Hayne and Snake had of been fit to play Origin this year the Blues would have won the series.

Mick, Parra offered the Great Beaver a ridiculous amount of money in the 90's and he stayed loyal to Manly because all he wanted to do was play for Manly. He is financially successful and more importantly successful in life notwithstanding rejecting the coin.

Hoppa could have done the same as Beaver and would have been just as successful and would have been a Manly legend. Now he is just another mercenary. If money is what drives you, then yep, who could blame him for taking the coin.

Big difference is that Beaver isn't an islander and didn't have that pressure on him culturely to take the money and listen to what the family says he has to do

Kiwi Eagle said:
Ralphie said:
mickqld said:
an't blame him for taking the rediculous coin on offer at Parra. He and Hayne , if they stay fit, will turn Parra into a more competitive team as will Arthur. Hayne is an enormous influence on any team he plays in. If Hayne and Snake had of been fit to play Origin this year the Blues would have won the series.

Mick, Parra offered the Great Beaver a ridiculous amount of money in the 90's and he stayed loyal to Manly because all he wanted to do was play for Manly. He is financially successful and more importantly successful in life notwithstanding rejecting the coin.

Hoppa could have done the same as Beaver and would have been just as successful and would have been a Manly legend. Now he is just another mercenary. If money is what drives you, then yep, who could blame him for taking the coin.

Big difference is that Beaver isn't an islander and didn't have that pressure on him culturely to take the money and listen to what the family says he has to do

So as I said, if it is money that is your primary motivator then who can blame him. I for one will continue to consider him a Rugby League mercenary, which is the same category that I place Ha$$ler and Money Bill Williams and their ilk.

I'm not as harsh on him individually in this one, generally they have no choice but to listen to the father and family. Many times last season we read Tony Williams saying he didn't want to go to the Dogs but dad said he should so that was that

Clubs like parra pay overs for players they think will produce miracles. In the end they just end up a poor team boasting a couple of overpaid players.

After 2 years of it hoppa will move on, and possibly back to is :)

Cant imagine a footballer not seriously looking elsewhere if the money is right. DCE and Foz will go elsewhere if Manly dont offer a seriously competitive sum compared to other offers. Even Menzies had to think long and hard before he turned down the Parramatta offer. I remember he disappeared for a few weeks and it seemed touch and go if he would stay. Even Fulton accepted better money at Easts.

Loyalty only applies if you're happy somewhere and the money and opportunity offered is enough to have you choose to stay. Sure many play for less than offered elsewhere but that's not loyalty. Its being happy where you are and earning enough to make you feel that the club values you. if someone comes along in your employment and offers you a huge amount more for your services and you can see opportunity there, surely the vast majority of us would take the opportunity. Its business and its your future welfare

Going for the money is one thing, living with that decision is another.
For a player going to a new club on big dollars, it is understandable for that team and their fans have great expectations on the player, expecting them to turn the team into a successful one.
I know it is not up to one player but in reality that is what a lot of fans expect.
Look at tontine going to the dogs on big dollars, he is getting crucified by their fans for not performing commensurate with the dollars he is being paid.
Some young players just see dollar signs and only realise too late that an enormous amount of pressure comes with those dollars

The way I look at it is if we kept Hoppa who would we have lost out of our current squad in order to keep him ? The coin he wanted we would be down one major star or 2-3 very good players in order to fit him in. We didn't struggle too badly without him this year, so I expect it'll be the same next year. Good player but nowhere to fit him in except on a wing, and you ain't gonna pay a winger $600K + per year unless you are stupid.

Bearfax said:
Cant imagine a footballer not seriously looking elsewhere if the money is right. DCE and Foz will go elsewhere if Manly dont offer a seriously competitive sum compared to other offers. Even Menzies had to think long and hard before he turned down the Parramatta offer. I remember he disappeared for a few weeks and it seemed touch and go if he would stay. Even Fulton accepted better money at Easts.

Loyalty only applies if you're happy somewhere and the money and opportunity offered is enough to have you choose to stay. Sure many play for less than offered elsewhere but that's not loyalty. Its being happy where you are and earning enough to make you feel that the club values you. if someone comes along in your employment and offers you a huge amount more for your services and you can see opportunity there, surely the vast majority of us would take the opportunity. Its business and its your future welfare

The Stewart Brothers
Choc
Skivvy
Foran
Jamie

All have been offered big money elsewhere and all have chosen to stay at Manly for less. This is not a new concept to the Manly Club.

I bear no gripes towards those that chase the money ala Ha$$ler, T-Rex, Lussick, Hoppa etc, but I will revere those listed above and be utterly ambivalent towards those that go.

Those who stayed have shown that staying Manly is good business and good for your future. I just wonder what price Lussick would put on never winning a premiership for example.

Are the players of today more interested in money than premierships?

The above Players are on very high wages compared to what Hoppa was on. So its not a valid comparison.

Hoppa was a 50k base and offered 400k for four years. 800% increase would have seen Snake et al leave Manly too.
I think Skivi was only offered about 10% to go to the Sharks, so an easier decision to give that up.

Darcy became a millionair by signing for 450k for three years, good luck to all of them.

Beaver was also on good monies and was savvy enough to forfeit the short term gain and bank on the networking he established for jobs after footy.

Loyalty is the realm of the Fans, for players its a career that is short lived and needs to be maximised in earnings.

Ralphie said:
Bearfax said:

The Stewart Brothers
Choc
Skivvy
Foran
Jamie

All have been offered big money elsewhere and all have chosen to stay at Manly for less. This is not a new concept to the Manly Club.

I bear no gripes towards those that chase the money ala Ha$$ler, T-Rex, Lussick, Hoppa etc, but I will revere those listed above and be utterly ambivalent towards those that go.

Those who stayed have shown that staying Manly is good business and good for your future. I just wonder what price Lussick would put on never winning a premiership for example.

Are the players of today more interested in money than premierships?

Ralphie, if you read my comment in contxt you will see I'm not saying much that's different from you. Note the first sentence of the second paragraph.

All good Bearfax, I'm not having a shot, just making the point that Hoppa could have been just as successful in the long term at Manly as many others have done but with the added bonus of Premierships and Legend Status.

I accept what everyone else has said about short time in the game, maximising income and the pressure he undoubtedly had from his family and just as importantly the pressure he would have had from his money hungry manager, but he did have a choice and he chose the mercenary path.

I don't accept the racist remarks from those who say he had to make this decision because he is an islander.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4