Concussion study

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
A very interesting article in the New York Times this week on how bad even a single concussion is to teenagers.

"In this case, the scientists concentrated on all Swedes born between 1973 and 1985 and looked for those who had experienced a head injury of some kind before the age of 25. More than 104,000 people qualified.

The researchers pulled data about these people for 40 years or until someone had either died or emigrated from Sweden.

For each participant, the researchers also compiled comparable medical and other records for a sibling who had never been given a diagnosis of a head injury and compared outcomes both between family members and against the full population of the country.

The results were discomfiting. Young people who had experienced a single diagnosed concussion — which the researchers categorized as a mild traumatic brain injury — were much more likely than the nation’s general population and than their own siblings to be receiving medical disability payments as adults.

They also were significantly more likely to have sought mental health care and much less likely to have graduated from high school or to have attended college than their uninjured brother or sister.

And they were about twice as likely as an uninjured sibling to die prematurely.

The possibility of lingering physical or psychological problems during adulthood rose precipitously, the researchers found, if someone had experienced more than one concussion while young, or if his or her brain injury had been more severe than a concussion.

The outcomes also generally were worse if someone had experienced head trauma after the age of 15, probably because the brain is less resilient than in earlier childhood, Dr. Fazel says. (The researchers did not quantify the causes of the injuries in this study, but past research shows that in the very young, he says, brain injuries usually result from falls, with sports becoming the primary cause in teenagers, and auto accidents the main cause among young adults."

Read more
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/05/well/move/a-single-concussion-may-have-lasting-impact.html

I'm sure insurance company's will force big changes in amature contact sports in the future.

Ok, enough on this how bad concussions are or how bad stuff in the game are. (Btw this isn't directed at you) If you want to play rugby league you sign up for stuff like that so no more of this "but this is bad for you" stuff. It is a tough game and things like this happen no more complaining about it

You get concussed, so be it. You wanna play the game, so be it... So let it BE IT

Hmmm, that's a little concerning. I imagine alot of us were concussed in our early years from Sport, accidents or stupidity.

I also wonder what other factors are used to determine these statistics.
Things like external influences resulting in not finishing school, did they have similar environments (i.e. same school), etc...

Cant deny the facts being presented seem quite legitimate, and I can respect the link between concussion and impact on the brain. Just interesting to know whole picture.

I can see NRL mandating head gear in the future. Its only a matter of time before it becomes compulsory.

Interesting read. Sweedes play contact sport?

giphy.gif

** Yes, I relise this in not the sweedish league, just enjoy the Gif :)

I can see this concussion issue being the end of contact sport eventually. The more they study it and look into it, the more evidence they gather, will mean that duty of care laws will force the end of sports where head injuries are likely to happen. All it will take is someone to take legal action and sue successfully and that'll be the end of it. If you can't provide a safe environment for your employees then you can't operate your "business".

I can see this concussion issue being the end of contact sport eventually. The more they study it and look into it, the more evidence they gather, will mean that duty of care laws will force the end of sports where head injuries are likely to happen. All it will take is someone to take legal action and sue successfully and that'll be the end of it. If you can't provide a safe environment for your employees then you can't operate your "business".

Or liability waivers will become really complex and complicated. Or they will shift the game to countries that dont have the rules.

As long as there is money people are willing to put their body on the line and they will find ways around the rules.

Look at MMA. They beat the hell out of each other for the chance to make millions.

I'm involved within the industry and concussion will never put an end to contact sport, it is just about raising awareness around management after a concussive event in particular following return to play policies.

I would think eventually you may find players having to sit out a minimum amount of time following a concussion rather than being able to play the following week as often happens now.

Last edited:
Boxing, UFC etc would be the first dominoes to fall in this scenario would be my guess

Maybe .. People who aren't capable of finishing school and have a predisposition to mental illness are more likely to put themselves in a position to get a head injury?
The study showed where two siblings where one had the concussion and one didnt, the one who did had the worse outcomes.

Nfl has previously been accused of hiding the stats on concussion and how bad it is.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/nfl-acknowledges-a-link-between-football-cte/

"After years of skepticism, professed doubts and at times outright denial, the NFL has acknowledged a link between playing football and the degenerative brain disease known as chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

The acknowledgment came one day after Jeff Miller, the NFL’s senior vice president for health and safety, told the House of Representatives’ Committee on Energy and Commerce, that football-related head trauma can lead to brain disease. Asked by Rep. Jan Schakowsky, (D-Ill.), whether “there is a link between football and degenerative brain diseases like CTE,” Miller responded, “The answer to that is certainly, yes.” He added, however, that “there’s also a number of questions that come with that,” noting a lack of data about the prevalence of CTE.

“The comments made by Jeff Miller yesterday accurately reflect the view of the NFL,” a league spokesman said in a statement to FRONTLINE on Tuesday."

Ok, enough on this how bad concussions are or how bad stuff in the game are. (Btw this isn't directed at you) If you want to play rugby league you sign up for stuff like that so no more of this "but this is bad for you" stuff. It is a tough game and things like this happen no more complaining about it

You get concussed, so be it. You wanna play the game, so be it... So let it BE IT
How well can a thirteen year old make that choice?

How well can a thirteen year old make that choice?
Regardless of my position or age, if people want to play league then they sign up for the consequences they may have due to contact. But that's just the game, you can't change rules to help prevent it all the time when it's never going to stop happening

Rugby league is a contact sport.

Regardless of my position or age, if people want to play league then they sign up for the consequences they may have due to contact.
You missed the point! How many binding contracts can 13 year olds sign? There are sound reasons why minors can't bind themselves contractually.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8