Costigan - We miss out yet again!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mellonhead

Reserve Grader
He has been in talks with the Canberra Raiders and could head to the national capital to join the club later this week.

Mackay-raised Costigan was linked to North Queensland and Melbourne after the incident but both NRL teams soon distanced themselves from him.

Costigan said he had been in close communication with Neil Henry, set to take over from Matt Elliott as Raiders head coach next season, since his departure from the Broncos.

"People have told me that he's a really good coach and, if I do sign, I'm looking forward to working with him," he said.

Costigan, named in the Queensland State of Origin preliminary squad prior to the season, remains close mates with former Brisbane teammate Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, who has been a revelation at the Raiders this season.

My comment - when will the genius's at Manly actually pull their fingers out of their arses and buy some bloody players. We have bought 1 player......what happens if he is injured and out for the season..... we've lost a number of players, does this mean we go round next years hoping whats left can do the job..... we've been "lucky" this year with injuries...only short term problems for players....that will not happen every year...ask the tigers, cowboys etc etc

Who said we were not chasing him, maybe he did not want to come to Sydney. Or maybe we didnt want him with all his off field problems.

We have been linked to a number of quality backrowers so I dont think we have been sitting around on our hands doing nothing. I also think a few of the boys from PL are ready to step up next year. We should be ok.

Don't you think it strange that Costigan received a contract offer from only one club? Especially when numerous clubs were said to be interested in him when he was first sacked.

The mail is that this guy is seriously bad and that he is a serial troublemaker. Manly's policy is no dickheads hence no contract offer to Costigan.

That's asking a bit much mata, the next BK will probably never come
As for melonhead i am glad you are not in control of who we sign, just because a player gets his name splashed all over the papers does not mean he is any good, for example, Brett Kimmorley, Brett Seymour, Brett Finch, all rubbish!!
Name one club that has bluechip half backs and 5/8's coming out of there arses, at least if orford gets injured we have monnas to back up, not a top line half back but he could do the job in Orford's absence - God forbid!

I like the look of young Jason Wells.Give him a big off season training with the top 25 squad and bulk up a bit,he could be a bolter from the reggies.Also Cuthbo is developing into a fine ball playing foward,with the ability to unload in traffic.I think there has been a falling out with the coaching staff?That is the only real reason that i can see for his fall from the first team rotation.Maybe Clon can shed some light? Brent Kite could be put back to the second row with maybe Bryant starting the games,and have Matai off the bench when Lyon takes a centre spot.Matai would be a good injection from the bench with his aggressive style of play.

Who exactly is going to \"step up\" from PL and be the next BK?

no one, even if we went out and spent $200k to $300k on someone we would not be able to replace BK. He can not be replaced.

Cuthbo as a backrower looks the goods and others have mentioned Wells as a possibility. Sure they are not in the same league as BK but no other backrowers on the market were either.

Pritchard, Creagh, Simpson and that Kiwi are all good players but not too many get near the class of BK. We are probably in the situation to look for a young up and comer rather than an older player as the legacy of BK should be carried on with some of the senior forwards. Look for young talent I say.

It is well docuimented that Hasler has chucked a nancy with Cuthbo - so as much as people here might rate him, don't hold your breath about seeing him in firsts anytime soon.

Vice - if Orford were to be injured I'd hope Burns would get the number 7. To many bad memories of concentric circles and kicks rolling over the dead ball line for us to go back to the Canberra hooker.

I'm thinking that if Manly had enough to throw $400k at Ben Creagh, then they could have secured Costigan if they wanted him. You also think that Leuluai, Witt, Stephenson have left after that fact, then there MUST be something in the backpack. Something BIG.

It is well docuimented that Hasler has chucked a nancy with Cuthbo - so as much as people here might rate him, don't hold your breath about seeing him in firsts anytime soon.

Vice - if Orford were to be injured I'd hope Burns would get the number 7. To many bad memories of concentric circles and kicks rolling over the dead ball line for us to go back to the Canberra hooker.

what did he say mata? I haven't read anything about Hasler not liking Cuthbo.

Costigan? total dickhead. Keep the faith boyos, we'll do OK next year. This year it's the premiership.

[quote author=Matabele]

what did he say mata? I haven't read anything about Hasler not liking Cuthbo.

[/quote]

There were some threads on it several weeks back.

Cuthbo had a rough game against the Broncos (after City vs Country) and Hasler wrote him off. It's a long way back for him apparently.

One wonders why Cuthbo hasn't been given the same chances as no-hopers like Deadwood and Tutt. He seems to have far more ability than either of those, and probably Minogue and King for good measure.

I'm thinking that if Manly had enough to throw $400k at Ben Creagh, then they could have secured Costigan if they wanted him. You also think that Leuluai, Witt, Stephenson have left after that fact, then there MUST be something in the backpack. Something BIG.
Don't hold your breath Rhino. My "inside information" is that we went hard after everyone we could but lucked out and now the cupboard is bare - regardless of what remains under the salary cap.

Our best hope is for a quality player to get the proverbials with his current club and ask for a release and be granted it. With the obvious caveat that he not be a destabilising dick head like Costigan. It's not often that you get a player asking for a release when he's not a DH.

Mata, from what I know, i think that's just some crap made up in forum sites. He may not get another run this year unless they have injuries which was always gonna be the case in 2006. Why don't we assume the same thing about Glenn Stewart?

Still, if that's what you think, heard or know...fair enuff.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4