Country v City Teams

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Todd Carney handed NSW Country debut
AAP

http://nrl.com/News/Latest/tabid/10244/default.aspx?id=50780
Canberra star Todd Carney claimed his first representative honour today after being named five-eighth for NSW Country in next Friday's clash with NSW City at WIN Stadium.

Carney will partner Parramatta halfback Brett Finch in the halves for the annual clash that this year is shaping as a genuine trial for the NSW halfback position.

Manly fullback Brett Stewart, unluckily dumped from the Australian team today due to Billy Slater's sensational form, was named in the No.1 jersey in a Country team laden with former Test stars.

Parramatta star Nathan Hindmarsh is another dumped Kangaroo in this side, while Danny Buderus, Jamie Lyon, Matt Cooper, Craig Fitzgibbon and Andrew Ryan have also worn the green and gold.

Buderus was named for Country despite pleas from his Newcastle coach Brian Smith to let the NSW captain sit out the trial to avoid injury.

Gold Coast forward Anthony Laffranchi, unluckily overlooked for an Australian spot, was named in the front row as selectors left out possible prop contenders including Cronulla's Luke Douglas and St George Illawarra's Jason Ryles.

Manly's Glenn Stewart will make his debut for Country off the bench, along with Tigers forward Chris Heighington and Cronulla fullback Brett Kearney.

The team:

Brett Stewart, Joel Monaghan, Jamie Lyon, Matt Cooper, Anthony Quinn, Todd Carney, Brett Finch, Brett White, Danny Buderus (capt), Anthony Laffranchi, Nathan Hindmarsh, Andrew Ryan, Craig Fitzgibbon.

Interchange: Ben Cross, Chris Heighington, Brett Kearney, Glenn Stewart.

City team to follow

Congrats to Glenn

His game has improved immensely over the last couple of weeks and he was very good last night

KANGAROOS TEAM
1. Billy Slater
2. Israel Folau
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Justin Hodges
5. Greg Inglis
6. Darren Lockyer ©
7. Jonathon Thurston
8. Brent Kite
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. Paul Gallen
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Greg Bird
Interchange
14. Matt Gidley
15. Willie Mason
16. Carl Webb
17. Anthony Tupou

COUNTRY
1. Brett Stewart
2. Joel Monaghan
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Matt Cooper
5. Anthony Quinn
6. Todd Carney
7. Brett Finch
8. Brett White
9. Danny Buderus ©
10. Anthony Laffranchi
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Andrew Ryan
13. Craig Fitzgibbon
Interchange
14. Ben Cross
15. Chris Heighington
16. Brett Carney
17. Glenn Stewart

CITY
1. Brett Hodgson
2. Jarryd Hayne
3. Ben Pomeroy
4. Brett Delaney
5. Luke Rooney
6. Braith Anasta
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Mark O’Meley
9. Corey Hughes
10. Jason King
11. Luke Lewis
12. Mark Minichiello
13. John Sutton
Interchange:
14. Bryce Gibbs
15. Ray Cashmere
16. Feleti Mateo
17. Peter Wallace

I would have thought that Ryan, Fitzgibbon and Hindmarsh (to a lesser extent) should have been replaced by young up and comers who would benefit from the step up from club footy. Neither are likely to make higher honours in the future - except Hindy. It is a fall back to the pre Super League War days when the CRL could pick its own team as the game means more to those folk than the best interests of the whole game and blooding young players with potential. Good to see Carney get a run and Glenn Stewart should enjoy his taste of the big time.

A few of the city players???? You are kidding. Mitchell Pearce is a player with potential but it shows that the Gould/Roosters powerbase still has plenty of influence.

orford was awesome

i guess he is just not blowin the same c@nts in the media billy is

Country will win by about a million.

Thank god Orford isn't playing with those players around him. He would look bad, and then have no chance of getting picked for Origin.

I feel for Orford guys. He's put in the hard work. I hope this doesn't demoralise him @ all.

I doubt this will demoralise him - he will set out to prove the selectors wrong and play well, week in and week out, especially against top opposition.

No Orford... What a joke.

Its obvious they are trialing the Pearce/Anasta Combination for Origin.

If Pearce doesn't do much Finch will get it.

CliffyIsGod link said:
City:

Pomeroy
Delaney
Pearce
Lewis at second row
Hughes?!?!?!?!!?

What blind loser picked these players

Some odd ones there. City doesn't have great depth in the centres, but I thought Lawrence would get a gig. Pomeroy's been playing bloody well for the Sharks, and while I don't think Delaney is a great centre his results speak for themselves. Jordan Atkins scored a bunch of tries outside him, then he is replaced by Sideshow Bob who scores four tries in two games outside of Delaney. Mind you, I was pretty shocked to see his name.

Lewis has been playing largely in the second row since his return from injury, and he's been going alright. But it is a little bit bizarre.

Who else is there aside from Hughes? Riddell and Farah both injured for example. Not a lot of depth there.

The one that really shocked me was Rooney!!! He's been absolutely disgraceful this year...plenty of blokes ahead of him surely. Steve Turner, Chris Lawrence, Dean Collis (move someone to the wing), Michael Jennings....surely there are more than that as well.

King has been injured in the last two games he has played for City. Maybe his low grade ankle strain is a positive !!(Selfish thinking here I know).

Country by 50.

Wish the game was tomorrow so we could get it over and done with and erase it from our memories like every other year.

Pomeroy  :eek: :eek:. WTF. Has this guy scored a try, made a line break or even set up a try this year ? There must be slim pickings in the City Centre ranks if he is getting a run. The Sharks have the worst "for" in the comp because they can't score a try due to having duds like this clown playing in the outside backs.

As for Corey Hughes.....puhlease. Rather see someone like Isaac Luke or De Gois given a go

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2