Cowboys captain Johnathan Thurston arrested

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
NORTH Queensland Cowboys NRL captain Johnathan Thurston has been charged with public drunkenness after reportedly locking himself out of his house.

Thurston, 24, was arrested as he was trying to get back into his Townsville home on Saturday, ABC radio reported.

Cowboys chief executive Peter Parr said the rugby league club would consider disciplinary action against Thurston, but it was unlikely his captaincy was under threat.

"The police consider it a minor offence," Mr Parr said on ABC radio.

"He's very contrite and apologetic and obviously embarrassed about the situation. I hope it's a lesson learnt. He's a young man and it's a very big learning curve for him being a player of his profile and the responsibilities that go with captaincy."

A police spokeswoman said a 24-year-old was charged with public drunkenness in Townsville last Saturday

For how many players has a club official said this?:

"He's very contrite and apologetic and obviously embarrassed about the situation. I hope it's a lesson learnt. He's a young man and it's a very big learning curve for him being a player of his profile and the responsibilities that go with captaincy."

What they have said about Cousins and Carey in AFL for a while.

From what I have been told, from both the Dogs and the Cowboys, Thurston has a record in several fronts that is less than squeaky clean and has more in common with Joey Johns than being just a good halfback!

Matabele link said:
I can't recall Johns ever sitting around in spas in Coffs Harbour though. 

No he only sat in spas in Newcastle.

You don't spend the night in the watchhouse for just being drunk and not having your keys.

Thurston fined as Cowboys get tough on drunks

COWBOYS skipper Johnathan Thurston will be fined and reprimanded and his teammates read the riot act in the wake of a drunken night out that ended with the Test star spending the night in a Townsville watchhouse.

Cowboys chief executive Peter Parr admitted he was concerned about the recent spate of late-night incidents involving North Queensland players and demanded that they "smarten up".

Thurston, 24, was arrested and briefly jailed early last Saturday morning after being charged with being drunk in a public place.

It is understood he was found asleep in front of an apartment block after returning home without keys.

"We are obviously disappointed in what Johnathan has done," Parr said yesterday.

"To have a senior player and particularly our captain put himself in that sort of position is something both he and the club could do without.

"He will be disciplined but we believe it has been played out in the public arena enough, so the disciplinary action will remain between Johnathan and the club."

It is believed Thurston will be fined but there is no danger of him losing the captaincy.

"This is a very stern wake-up call for Johnathan but also a good reminder for all our players of their responsibilities," Parr said.

"If you have the profile that some of our guys have in a city the size of Townsville, then you have to understand that everything you do, be it positive or negative, will be played out in the public arena.

"We have some of the most passionate supporters in the competition. We get big crowds every week and our players are very popular.

"With that comes greater scrutiny and responsibility. We accept that."

In the past 12 months Thurston and back-rower Steve Southern have been victims of late-night attacks in Townsville while hooker David Faiumu is currently facing serious assault charges.

Asked if he felt there was a problem with the Cowboys culture, Parr said: "No, it is a good, hard-working culture. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about some of the incidents which have occurred over the past six months.

"The players have to be smarter. There have been a few who have let their guard down and they have to be smarter and better prepared when they go out. If they mess up in this town then people generally know before the cab gets home."

NRL chief David Gallop said he was monitoring the situation but had been satisfied with the Cowboys' handling of the matter.

"These types of incidents are less than ideal," Gallop said.

"We're waiting on a full report from the Cowboys but in my initial discussions with Peter Parr he indicated he plans to talk to his whole squad as soon as possible. At this stage it will remain a club matter."

Thurston's manager Sam Ayoub and Parr indicated the player was deeply embarrassed by his actions.

There has been many occassions wher eI have been on holidays down the gold coast or in sydney where I have had too many to drink and just slept out the front.

No biggie

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4