Cronin's allegiance to Fitzy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24781447-5001023,00.html?referrer=email

By Dean Ritchie

December 11, 2008 12:00am

PARRAMATTA legend Mick Cronin has broken his silence on the Eels' boardroom brawl to declare his allegiance to Denis Fitzgerald.

Cronin, the club's greatest-ever point scorer, told The Daily Telegraph he was saddened that the legendary 1981 Eels' premiership-winning side was split over the rebel challenge to Fitzgerald's board.

While refusing to criticise former teammates Ray Price, Brett Kenny and Eric Grothe, Cronin said he felt Fitzgerald was being unfairly blamed for the club's 22-year premiership drought.

"Everyone keeps saying we haven't won a competition for a long time but you can't keep blaming one person,'' Cronin said. "Denis didn't get the credit when we won our four premierships. Every story seems to be about getting rid of Denis. I think all the motives are wrong.

"I'm not saying Denis is right all the time. Even he would admit he has made mistakes. But how many other CEO's have lasted this long? He has to be doing something right. I missed a couple of goals to win grand finals. I couldn't blame anyone but myself for that.

"I just can't handle everyone blaming Denis. There are a lot of people involved in winning and losing. It's a matter of whether someone is better. No one has thrown up someone just yet.''

Parramatta's football club elections will be held this Sunday with the rebel ticket - consisting of Price, Kenny and Grothe among others - pushing for inclusion on the board.

Cronin said he was upset at the in-fighting over the election that has divided the '81 side that famously beat Newtown 20-11 in the grand final at the SCG.

"I sit down here in Gerringong and feel sad about what's happening,'' he said. "Sometimes I even laugh and sometimes I get embarrassed. Jack Gibson ('81 coach) had a great line. At one of our first meetings he said at some stage we will all have to put aside our egos for the good of the club.

"I've got friends on the board and I've got friends running against them. This is not personal against anyone. I've known Ray, Brett and Eric for 20 years. I know a lot of the current board very well too - guys like Michael Johnson and Ron Hilditch - and to doubt their motivation is not on.''

Cronin and Price have shared a special bond since 1986, with both retiring from rugby league after the Eels' 4-2 grand final win over the Canterbury Bulldogs.

That was the last time the club tasted premiership success, but Cronin stressed Parramatta's title drought was not uncommon in rugby league and gave two similar examples.

"Not winning a competition doesn't mean your club is not successful,'' he said. "St George and Souths are two of the game's most successful clubs. I think Saints last won a premiership in 1979 and Souths' was back in 1971.

"If everything in rugby league revolved around winning premierships, there would only be one successful club a year. We haven't been that far away from winning a premiership. We have been in a position numerous times to grab one.

"Melbourne have been the best team in the comp for three years and they have only won one. Premierships aren't easy to win.''

Solicitor Chris Jurd, a current board member, expects a tight election this Sunday. "I'd be surprised if they won but you never can tell,'' Jurd said. "I just don't know what the real reason is for why people are becoming so agitated. The Parramatta junior league is being run very well.''

One can only hope that this boardroom brawl goes on for many years to come.  ;D

The CEO has a lot to do with the business culture and culture of the club in general.
As does the coach really.

But just lasting a long time doesn't mean you are good at your job, it just means you have been there a long time, and everyone is too complacent.

Look at the difference Mayer has made to Manly, the best CEO we have had since Arko!

Fitzy is just a tool, and its time for him to get the **** away from NRL so that the Eels can move forward as well as getting another CEO that will be about the league expanding and getting better, not just bitching and moaning about everything

Leave Fitzy alone!  He's been fantastic for Parra.  Under his rule they've supplied us with a number of talented players and staff.  We should be supportive of his reelection.  Long may Fitzy rule.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6