Crowd: 11619, What a joke!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Darren

Bencher
Take out 4-5k of opposition and travelling fans (western sydney etc) and you have a loyal 6000 local fans watching their 'local" team!

What's the excuse this time? It was great weather, sat night and no long weekend. The ground on tv looks a shambles! Where's the advertising on the eastern hill alongside the ground?

It's said we need 16000 to break even. Poor old Penn took another bath at Brookie. I imagine looking at the figures another 100k loss for a home game. For all the complainers about 'Fortress' Brookvale and the locals won't travel, well they don't travel 5 minutes it seems. Same as the Steelers, locals couldn't be bothered going!!

I agree, the crowd was a disgrace.
It didn't seem that small though. I've been in 11k's before. The hill was packed, it's the stands that were empty so who cares? They've paid for their tickets in advance regardless of whether they turn up.

How much would it cost for a family of 4 to go and watch one of the most unattractive teams (Titans) in the competition.

The team expected it to be a walk in the park, so I guess a lot of our supporters did too and went elsewhere. Lucky for them.

mickqld said:
How much would it cost for a family of 4 to go and watch one of the most unattractive teams (Titans) in the competition.

Exactly the same as it costs them to pack the joint out.

Poor little battlers, good honest mums n dads, the aussies makin' a difference. Ray Martin would be proud.

Mick, they smashed us last night so probably there was only one unattractive team. I can't believe the local fans. All I read on here is that locals won't travel etc and it's all over if they move from Brookie but there is very few locals going. How much would have Penn lost last night?
I know so many fans who go every week that don't come from the northern beaches. This local thing in my opinion is a myth. If it was tribal, we would get 20k every game!!

Darren said:
Mick, they smashed us last night so probably there was only one unattractive team. I can't believe the local fans. All I read on here is that locals won't travel etc and it's all over if they move from Brookie but there is very few locals going. How much would have Penn lost last night?
I know so many fans who go every week that don't come from the northern beaches. This local thing in my opinion is a myth. If it was tribal, we would get 20k every game!!

Well why don't you go to the games then?

DO NOT come back and say you were there because my head will explode. There were heaps of "locals" there last night. They're the types that think a picnic rug on the hill is a good idea. It's a **** idea but a good way to measure their attendnce. It's the grandstnd mob that didn't show. If the stands were as packed as the hill, the figures would be better. I can understand them not showing up though. Who can watch football stuck in a plastic seat? Thankfully only half our ground has these crowd killing atrocities. Imagine if we were in a hell hole stadium, no one would have been there.

The crowd last night was quite poor, I will agree on that. However to all the people who are arguing that we should go to SFS or Homebush, I think we would have got even less to those grounds if we played at one of them last night.

Yeah but you have to understand. If they had played the game on a sunday arvo between 2 and 3 pm , on a leap year, on a sunny day ( but not sunny enough to go to the beach) with a power blackout and a 3 dollar fuel subsidy and free beer they would have packed the joint,,,,,,,probably, nearly, because its tribal

Oh and cheap tickets, but not too cheap because the season ticket holders have already paid for theirs, so it cant be too cheap or they will arc up

I don't know Darren, but I feel the fan base is less connected as they were a few years ago. I have said this in other threads, but back then, I felt "connected" to the players, and had a vested interest.

All these off-field situations (and whatever that entails), and all this mid-season contract "negotiation" material, and a strong effort by the media to destabilise the team, makes me feel a certain apathy to the team and players.

Do I support a player of the team I love that wants to play for The Bulldogs? It's all part of public relations I guess.

I remember a Saturday afternoon game at Brookvale not that many years ago, where we were playing Souths in our retro jersey's, and 22k people turned up. I was one of them.

We've seen a mass exodus from our coaching staff, we are about to start seeing an exodus of our playing ranks with potentially T-Rex and Matai leaving, as well as all the players currently sitting on the sidelines negotiating contracts.

People connect with things they feel a part of. If that entity is being torn apart (for whatever reason), people lose the passion for it. It's natural human emotion.

Additionally, Brookvale Oval is a disgrace. Personally though, I love going there, but that's me. People take families.

Lastly, I was very proud of how we performed last week. Magnificent team effort, but that was vastly different to the team I'm used to seeing under Toovey. Under Toovey, I see a team that leaks points all too easily. I see a team that switches off in periods. BUT, like others have pointed out to me, a lot of that "may" be attributed to injuries and suspensions.

All in all, Manly has lost it's "beat down" culture we had under Des.

Now guys, this is just my opinion of coarse. Note it doesn't attack anyone, and it's written in a fair, balanced way, but Darren, I think these are "some" of the reason's our team, who are reigning premiers, and should have packed out arena's every game, have a waining fan base. For mine, it's a mixture of all of the above. We need to see some passion for The Brand from somewhere.

Darren said:
Take out 4-5k of opposition and travelling fans (western sydney etc) and you have a loyal 6000 local fans watching their 'local" team!

What's the excuse this time? It was great weather, sat night and no long weekend. The ground on tv looks a shambles! Where's the advertising on the eastern hill alongside the ground?

It's said we need 16000 to break even. Poor old Penn took another bath at Brookie. I imagine looking at the figures another 100k loss for a home game. For all the complainers about 'Fortress' Brookvale and the locals won't travel, well they don't travel 5 minutes it seems. Same as the Steelers, locals couldn't be bothered going!!

You realise we played the Gold Coast right? Exactly how many travelling fans did they have? I can tell you none that travelled down on the same flight as the u20's team, that's for sure. How do I know? I was at the airport on the Coast and saw all the players. That was yesterday morning. And how many travelling supporters do they have? Or supporters that live down here? Not very many would be my estimation.

Also, do you forget that we had a game last Monday night? Going to the football isn't a cheap night out. And especially not so during school holidays, when costs for families are higher.

If that crowd was one against another Sydney based team, then you would have a fair point. But you need to look at who the opposition is, and the timing of the games before you say stupid things like you have.

I don't understand your point about feeling connected Ryan. What do you mean?
It's a footy team. It's sole purpose for existance is it's fans. It's there to win games, which in recent times it has.

4-5K oppostion fans is a bit of stretch Darren

prob be more like

9,000 Manly
1,500 titans
1,619 others

mmmdl said:
Darren said:

You realise we played the Gold Coast right? Exactly how many travelling fans did they have? I can tell you none that travelled down on the same flight as the u20's team, that's for sure. How do I know? I was at the airport on the Coast and saw all the players. That was yesterday morning. And how many travelling supporters do they have? Or supporters that live down here? Not very many would be my estimation.

Also, do you forget that we had a game last Monday night? Going to the football isn't a cheap night out. And especially not so during school holidays, when costs for families are higher.

If that crowd was one against another Sydney based team, then you would have a fair point. But you need to look at who the opposition is, and the timing of the games before you say stupid things like you have.

We're supposed to pack the groud ourselves, not rely on enemy fans travelling in numbers to help us out. The opposition is irrelevant.

The crowd was disappointing last night no doubt about that. I was there & you could see the GA attendance was good but again plenty of empty seats in the stands. Only about 100 Titans supporters at the game doesn't help the crowd figure.
We need more Sydney based Manly supporters attending games, how we convince them to come along I'm not sure. Are we charging too much for a seat in the stands??

Duff said:
I don't understand your point about feeling connected Ryan. What do you mean?
It's a footy team. It's sole purpose for existance is it's fans. It's there to win games, which in recent times it has.

Mmm, I don't know mate. I kind of blame The NRL for this, rather than our club, but just the ripping of the team apart thing.

We are a victim of our own success if you get my meaning.

That's the playing roster side of it.

The way our coaching, and management have been treating each other though, that is a completely different story. In fact, the GF win lost its allure for mine. Even the players said such.

Anyways - hopefully that explains it.

Duff said:
mmmdl said:
Darren said:

We're supposed to pack the groud ourselves, not rely on enemy fans travelling in numbers to help us out. The opposition is irrelevant.

yes, we should. But again, as I stated - it was the 2nd game there, in 5 days, in the middle of school holidays. People go away during this time. Plus, it's expensive to go to 2 games in 5 days. Not everyone has a season ticket but, more importantly, not everyone has a never ending flow of available cash.

It's my fault. I just didn't turn up. The players turned up, but I was hosting a dinner party organised several months in advance. It was the first match I've missed at Brookvale in the past 12 - and it was the only one Manly has lost.
So, please feel free to take my match payments from my lavish signing-on fee.
PS: I'm sick of hearing posters describe Brookvale Oval as a ' disgrace'. It is a great ground to watch football. I don't care that the toilets are not air-conditioned, carpeted with a personal assistant to offer me towels and lotions.
Let's get behind the team. It's a long season, and upsets will continue to happen.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6