• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
It was a lovely night; the match promised to be a cracker. It was our final home match. The club had granted half-price tickets to member guests. The players delivered... and yet less than 13,000 turned up to watch. Granted, there were less Bonco fans than there are Dog trolls on this site, but why aren't we getting more to Brookie? It's not the ground, which is the best to watch a match at, and it's not the lack of comfort because there were empty seats in the stands.
What I think is happening is that TV is diluting attendances.
Unless you are a die-hard supporter, like all of us here are, TV has made it too comfortable to stay home and watch. I read today about Channel Nein's boasts to make the coverage 3D, with holograms etc that, they claim "will make it like you're sitting on the sideline at the game."
Personally, I love the atmosphere at Brookie, and get butterflies in the lead-up to the match as if I'm about to play.
What are your thoughts on the future of attracting crowds at Manly matches?

There has to be different counters this season to last season. The Storm game last year counted 20,000+ as the crowd, and the dogs game this year got counted as just under 17,000+. There is no chance there were 15% less people there. Either they got it wrong last year, or they're stuffing up this year. You'd think they're boning it this year, because the crowds have felt bigger than they always tell us they are.

NewwyEagle said:
There has to be different counters this season to last season. The Storm game last year counted 20,000+ as the crowd, and the dogs game this year got counted as just under 17,000+. There is no chance there were 15% less people there. Either they got it wrong last year, or they're stuffing up this year. You'd think they're boning it this year, because the crowds have felt bigger than they always tell us they are.

* cue Larissa telling us there's nothing wrong with the counters.

Give up The Who! I agree that being there is the best. Last week was amazing but you could see big gaps. Why? A number of reasons.
1. Costs in Sydney are so high. $100 for a family with petrol etc when people can't pay their mortgage.
2. Majority of fans are on lower incomes and just can't make it. TV is too comfy and cost free.
3. Waiting around for nearly an hour with nothing on. Still don't understand why they do this (Toyota to NRL)
4. 1970's facilities that most people don't want anymore (not the warm fuzzy feeling) With McMansions everywhere the new generations want comfort! Hence the consistent low crowds!
5. "Fans" with vile language in front of families. A guy near me on Brookie hill last weekend screamed out Fu## cu## Fag### Slu# every 2nd word and then got worse with sexual language (in front of women and kids) It was such a shame as beautiful weather, team winning and you have to hear this trash. Shame there was no police about as I wonder if he would have done it.
As I said before (and only my opinion and not judging anyone) I would never take my family there (language etc) and I'd say that's why gates are down. Family of 4-5 tick over much more than singles.
6. Food Quality and Price: No need to discuss.

I loved it last week but "hardcores" are becoming fewer in number(except Rabbits etc) Last week I saw the same old heads on the hill in the same spots.

Our crowds continues to shrink and can't see any change for our future. I hear we need 16k to break even and that ain't happening anymore! The new tv deal and perth games will be our saviour.

It was a small crowd for sure. The family hill had big green patches.
I don't know what more the club can do. People are just too lazy.
You can blame the costs, the crowd or whatever but what i'm hearing from people who don't go is just that they can't be bothered. They watch it on tv or down the pub and it's easier than going to the game. They don't have any specific reason because they say "yeah, i should get to a game, i haven't been for a couple of years".
It's just too easy to not go.

If #6 is true, I just cant understand why the food quality would be so crap.

I mean didn't warm beer and cold pies go out in the 1970's?

Do the caterers have some goat photos?

edit: I know this isn't the answer to all the crowd 'problems' but surely, like extra security to weed out the profanitators, it'd be one of the easiest to fix.

Profanitators - I just made up a word!

You can blame the costs! The price of a general admission ticket is outrageous! To not be guaranteed a seat on a piece of grass. Way too high. I remember the good old days when it was $10 for an adult to sit on the hill.

Family hill was much fuller last Sunday for day game. Seemed the back of the main hill was more rowdier than Sunday too! Different match times gets different fans I guess.

MWSE said:
You can blame the costs! The price of a general admission ticket is outrageous! To not be guaranteed a seat on a piece of grass. Way too high. I remember the good old days when it was $10 for an adult to sit on the hill.

Really?
The cost?

It's funny how the cost never seems to bother Aussie Rules fans. Their prices are higher.
Is it because you don't think RL is worth any more than 10 bucks but AFL is such a spectacle you'd pay 60?

I remember when tickets were $10 too. Other stuff was cheaper as well. It's called inflation. You can't use it as an excuse.

True, some of the people I bring along can't make night Friday or Monday night matches due to work commitments in the city. They can on Saturday night and Sunday matches. There's an extra three persons. With the profaninator problem, all you have to do is seek out a security guard and insist on them dealing with the person. My daughter did that at the Dogs game, and the problem got solved without any fuss.

And it wasn't me.

It's profanitator

If you're going to copy my made up word, do it right!

I mean for &^^%*'s sake you *&^$$!!! how many ^%##@$ times do I %$$%# need to %*&%$## this into ^%#%^#%$ your heads!

Hooray for booze!

Sorry c**t, i f**ked it up but i was just copying DSM5 as his post was on the same page.
Last time i trust DSM to have any accuracy. Useless ba***rd.

I think the main issue is that the game was live on tele. I went with a mate, but my wife and kids stayed home to watch because they're little. I have zero problem with the facilities, but I am old school. The view of the game from the hill is so awesome, compared to say anz, where one needs binoculars. At brookie you can hear the calls and see the expressions on the players' faces.

Darren said:
Give up The Who! I agree that being there is the best. Last week was amazing but you could see big gaps. Why? A number of reasons.
1. Costs in Sydney are so high. $100 for a family with petrol etc when people can't pay their mortgage.
2. Majority of fans are on lower incomes and just can't make it. TV is too comfy and cost free.
3. Waiting around for nearly an hour with nothing on. Still don't understand why they do this (Toyota to NRL)
4. 1970's facilities that most people don't want anymore (not the warm fuzzy feeling) With McMansions everywhere the new generations want comfort! Hence the consistent low crowds!
5. "Fans" with vile language in front of families. A guy near me on Brookie hill last weekend screamed out Fu## cu## Fag### Slu# every 2nd word and then got worse with sexual language (in front of women and kids) It was such a shame as beautiful weather, team winning and you have to hear this trash. Shame there was no police about as I wonder if he would have done it.
As I said before (and only my opinion and not judging anyone) I would never take my family there (language etc) and I'd say that's why gates are down. Family of 4-5 tick over much more than singles.
6. Food Quality and Price: No need to discuss.

I loved it last week but "hardcores" are becoming fewer in number(except Rabbits etc) Last week I saw the same old heads on the hill in the same spots.

Our crowds continues to shrink and can't see any change for our future. I hear we need 16k to break even and that ain't happening anymore! The new tv deal and perth games will be our saviour.

I agree with your six points.
I wonder how important gate takings are to funding the club. I'm happy if they take two games to Perth every season, but I'd hate to lose Brookie as our homeland. Our win-lose record is so good at Brookie that we'd cost ourselves premiership points if we move. Last night I took along a Parra supporter who had never been to Brookie. He loved it, and reckons he'll become a member (probably a five-game pass one) next season. So that's one more fan we have.

With the big rise in the TV deal, interstate games and big jump in sponsors and third party deals (well done Perry and team) if we can get 15k then we will be fine. I know I read a comment by an owner that we need 16k to break even. With the new corporates hopefully we can make a small profit!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6