Crowds: NRL confused

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
There is a report that the NRL is disappointed with the crowds at the Sydney final series, and seems to be blaming the clubs.

So NRL, here's three ways you can remedy this:
1. Let each club in the finals share in the profits - say 20% to the home team and 5% to the visiting club
2. Pay for transport to the venues (include it in the entry price); don't expect the clubs like Manly to foot the bill (as we are doing),
2. Play the matches at times that best suits fans, not the TV networks. There should be a Saturday match at 3pm and a Sunday match at 3pm.

Scheduling big matches on a Friday night reduces crowds because work commitments stop plenty getting to the game on time. I know this won't change until the NRL stands up to TV networks, but I'm hoping they show more leadership when negotiating the next TV deal.

Frankly, rugby league these days is all about TV ratings. Fans who take the trouble to get to the grounds, and pay the high costs, are secondary considerations to the NRL. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that the NRL is working on a scheme to play all matches at the one locked venue with virtual fans and sound effects, much the same as TV comedies have laugh tracks.

The NRL are footing most of the bill for the transport tonight. I know it says that manly are doing it, but I have a relative in the STA and the NRL are actually throwing in most of the money.

Blake said:
The NRL are footing most of the bill for the transport tonight. I know it says that manly are doing it, but I have a relative in the STA and the NRL are actually throwing in most of the money.

Good. It's how it should be. I do have an issue though. There are no pick-ups south of the Spit Bridge. It means fans like me who live and work on the lower north shore miss out on the buses.

The Who said:
Blake said:

Good. It's how it should be. I do have an issue though. There are no pick-ups south of the Spit Bridge. It means fans like me who live and work on the lower north shore miss out on the buses.

The trouble with trying to help is that someone always misses out and gets their nose out of joint.

This whole thing isn't about everybody going to the game getting a freebie. It's a reaction to ithe insular peninsula syndrome. As you're already on the south side of spit bridge, the major hurdle has been overcome. You don't need a passport or travel itinerary like those further north.

This is the arrogance of the NRL. For the finals they are soley responsible for the venues, scheduling , promotion of all games. Poor crowds indicate they have don a poor job. It is there failure. If they do not know there consumers and customer base well enough then they need to do more to understand them. But there arrogant approach and constant ignorence to all things that the fans love is piss poor management

Essentially they are promoters

If a promoter put a wiggles concert and 7.30 at night in kings cross and no one came is it the tuck shop mums to blame, the wiggles, the weather. No its the promoter

The 8.30 timeslot for the manly game is a decision that rivals the above example. A Sunday afternnon game would have seen a full house, a brookie game would have seen a full house.

The NRL/gallop have no idea and little concern of what make a fan tick. The fact that gallop is at war with the 2 top clubs and there fans and does nothing to douse the flames is proof he is the wrong man for the job. Gallop has a job to do and regardless of who is to blame for the situations , for him to do his job properly he has to have all teams working toward the same goal, which clearly they are not. It is a massive failure on his behalf. His avoiding the festering issue and hope it goes away as not condusive of a manager or a man being paid 100's of thousands of dollars

His steadfast arrogant approach which he has made clear is not open to consideration for the good lends to the assumption that the job he is paid very well to perform reeks on NO ACCOUNTABILITY

typical parasite approach, offer nothing but expect a free ride.

yes nrl, you act like parasites

Duff said:
The Who said:
Blake said:

The trouble with trying to help is that someone always misses out and gets their nose out of joint.

This whole thing isn't about everybody going to the game getting a freebie. It's a reaction to ithe insular peninsula syndrome. As you're already on the south side of spit bridge, the major hurdle has been overcome. You don't need a passport or travel itinerary like those further north.

I just thought that there could be a pick up, say at Neutral Bay Junction, just before the expressway, to cater for us.

At least RL1908 is sticking up for Manly. http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=7776958&postcount=286

Lot of claptrap getting about re NRL crowds “plummet” e.g. > http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-2...ort&date=(none) No secret that Manly are not finals crowd-drawer that Bulldogs, Dragons, WestsTigers & Parra are.

Sure the NRL should aspire for bigger crowds, but selectively pulling up stats to suggest the sky is falling in or that Manly are letting RL down, is nonsense.

A crowd just over 30K tonight is no better/worse than past GF qualifiers in Sydney, aside from recent all-Sydney NRL finals between Dragons, Dogs, Eels or Tigers.

NRL GF qualifiers at SFS >
2008 Sharks-Storm 27,570
2008 Manly-Warriors 32,095
2007 Manly v Cowboys 32,611
2006 Bulldogs v Broncos 29,511

Manly have bigger numbers there than the Bulldogs! I'm sure tonight will be up around that 32000 again too.

What do you think the reaction will be if the crowd on Saturday night in Melboure is bigger than the Manly game at the SFS tonight! :)

The Who said:
There is a report that the NRL is disappointed with the crowds at the Sydney final series, and seems to be blaming the clubs.

So NRL, here's three ways you can remedy this:
1. Let each club in the finals share in the profits - say 20% to the home team and 5% to the visiting club
2. Pay for transport to the venues (include it in the entry price); don't expect the clubs like Manly to foot the bill (as we are doing),
2. Play the matches at times that best suits fans, not the TV networks. There should be a Saturday match at 3pm and a Sunday match at 3pm.

Scheduling big matches on a Friday night reduces crowds because work commitments stop plenty getting to the game on time. I know this won't change until the NRL stands up to TV networks, but I'm hoping they show more leadership when negotiating the next TV deal.

Frankly, rugby league these days is all about TV ratings. Fans who take the trouble to get to the grounds, and pay the high costs, are secondary considerations to the NRL. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that the NRL is working on a scheme to play all matches at the one locked venue with virtual fans and sound effects, much the same as TV comedies have laugh tracks.
So true after a big week at work it takes a huge commitment to then travel into the city on a Friday and get there by 7.30pm, especially when you can watch it at home with your kids.

Well said James. They don't give a stuff about their attending customers, just the TV audience. When you screw it up for those who might have been willing to go, then complain about it, is all about arrogance.

The crowd a fortnight ago was partly a protest against No Brookie and also for some a protest about the Zorba sacking. Importantly, there were no Cowboy supporters there.

Manly fans will show out in force tonight. We are a discerning crowd, as demonstrated by the 2008 Grand Final when 75000 were Manly fans and 5000 were Storm supporters. I expect no different next week.

What I fear is a Storm Broncos Grand Final as I have a lot of tickets that I have to offload.

Canteen Worker said:
The crowd a fortnight ago was partly a protest against No Brookie and also for some a protest about the Zorba sacking. Importantly, there were no Cowboy supporters there.

Manly fans will show out in force tonight. We are a discerning crowd, as demonstrated by the 2008 Grand Final when 75000 were Manly fans and 5000 were Storm supporters. I expect no different next week.

What I fear is a Storm Broncos Grand Final as I have a lot of tickets that I have to offload.

I don't know a single person who says they didn't go as a protest, I really think that is an argument that holds no water. the people who care the most about the venue and zorba are all on here and only as an afterthought has any protest been discussed.

The reason people didn't go is convenience. It's not that we have less fans, but its a simple fact that it is harder to get to games from Gods country, all casual fans only go when its convieniant, and for us that is less often. The NRL takes the gate at finals, if they want large crowds they need to make it easy for people to go.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but just wanted to say a big FUK you to Greenturd and his big stadium joke plan. 11150 at Anz for Parra v Sharks compared to our 12304. Not to mention the joke sht 9K on Thurs night Rorters at the SCG or the11K at Townsville this arvo. Choke on it you bald headed bastard. You have no fuking idea.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but just wanted to say a big FUK you to Greenturd and his big stadium joke plan. 11150 at Anz for Parra v Sharks compared to our 12304. Not to mention the joke sht 9K on Thurs night Rorters at the SCG or the11K at Townsville this arvo. Choke on it you bald headed bastard. You have no fuking idea.
Bloody hell Mick, I got halfway through thinking wtf’s this about before seeing the date!
But agree, the big stadium idea is a joke.
How good has the crowds at the suburban grounds looked so far this year. And I’ve noticed the players and commentators have dropped the ‘how good is the suburban ground atmosphere’ several times already this season.
And I know it’s an eight year old thread, but that comment from @jbb/james about the Wiggles concert in the cross is still bloody funny.:rofl:

Rip in Mick.

Choke on it you bald headed bastard. You have no fuking idea.

Nuanced, thoughtful and subtle. More please. Actually you are so right. Lord Baldymort is so beholden to television right it takes a round like this to demonstrate that a nice Saturday arvo is much better than 5.30pm and 8 degrees on a July evening.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8