Cuthbo to go, Ox, Wolfman, Robbo, Lyon to stay

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rex

Bencher
... local junior Adam Cuthbertson is set to leave Manly at the end of the year, as the premier attempts to clear room under its salary cap to retain captain Matt Orford and wingers David Williams and Michael Robertson, beyond this season.

Although Manly officials and Cuthbertson's manager, Andrew Purcell, denied any moves were afoot, it is understood the skilful prop has been given permission to speak to rival clubs and an announcement could come as early as next week.

Orford has become a priority signing for Manly but the club has been unable to strike a deal with his manager George Mimis, who left for England yesterday where he is expected to speak to Super League clubs about the Sea Eagles skipper.

Wigan and Warrington have both expressed an interest in Orford but his priority is to remain with Manly. Should Cuthbertson find another club, that is almost certain to happen.

Williams and Robertson will also remain with Manly, although an announcement isn't expected until next week at the earliest.

The Sea Eagles are also in ongoing negotiations with centre Jamie Lyon, who has another year on his contract but appears likely to sign an extension.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25627842-2722,00.html

I'd rather keep Cuthbo than Orford personally. Let's hope one of these Super League sides come up with a massive offer for the dwarf which we can't match. That way we can concentrate on signing Cuthbo, Lyon etc and building on the future with a young half.

I like Cuthbo and want him to stay, but if we lose him to keep the other 4, I don't see it as a bad thing either

Cuthbo really hasn't realised his potential and is getting to an age where you wonder if he ever will.  I like the guy, but if he had the heart of George Rose who has battled back from a terrible injury, he'd probably be a superstar. 

Rose is 1 of my favourites Mata, his comeback is inspirational, his level of footy at the moment is superb

The most exciting part of all of this is Jamie Lyon appears likely to sign an extension.

It still raises the question of why Ox's contract negotiations are going on longer than a Royal Commission. He has finally played himself into some form and every week he and his manager delay agreeing to terms out pops the usual stuff on who we have to sacrifice. Get on with it.

Ryan link said:
The most exciting part of all of this is Jamie Lyon appears likely to sign an extension.

Damn straight.

Cuthbertson will struggle to make the 17 at full strength even with Hall leaving, he signed his last contract when he was in top form so he is probably on too much money for a fringe player, makes sense to let him go.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Rose is 1 of my favourites Mata, his comeback is inspirational, his level of footy at the moment is superb

Geez, I hope we can keep big George, he's been our best for the last 4 or 5 weeks.

Well Ox is 31 and in two years he will be 33 if he does sign with Manly ? he needs to take a pay cut imo and what message are we sending to the likes of Daly Cherry-Evans,Hodkinson and Foran ?

It's fantastic news that Lyon maybe staying ? and that Robbo and Wolfman are close to signing or have already as for Cuthbo well i wouldn't like to see him leave the club.

swoop link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=180707.msg227242#msg227242 date=1244936841]

Geez, I hope we can keep big George, he's been our best for the last 4 or 5 weeks.
[/quote]

Agree i would like Rose to remain at the club

Agreed. I can't believe the come-back by George. I can't believe by just how far he gets through the advantage line with his runs. He deserves to stay.

swoop link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=180707.msg227242#msg227242 date=1244936841]

[/quote]

With the respect we have shown the Big Fella, keeping him here through that entire injury, I feel that Rose will pay that back to the club if a reasonable offer is put to him and show some loyalty back.

I agree that rose has been awesome with his 20min stints from the bench, i am more than happy to eat my own words when i was concerned about his fitness and speed.

I have always thought and still do however think that there is room for 1 of rose and cuthbertson on our bench but not both. So far Rose has shown more potnetial.

With the likes of Hall, Cuthbertson & JWH going next year means that there will be a chance for our NYC players to step up next year (injuries are inevitable).

Sadly we have enough forwards and backrowers and if we can hold on to our toyota cup pack or some of them then we will be ok. I like cuthbo but sadly we can afford to lose him

Cuthbo's last contract was given when he was on a high and the Ch 9 commentators were pumping his credentials. 

Given what he's given the club since, he should morally accept more money and stay with us.

We should use the same bean counter the rorters are using, that way we can keep em all and still be under the salary cap... I wonder if the likes of Oford and co would be open to pay cuts to keep the nucleus of the team.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6