Cuthbo's mea culpa

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
MANLY'S Adam Cuthbertson has spoken of his deep regret at his high shot on Canberra's Troy Thompson that will see the Sea Eagles' forward miss his first NRL game through suspension.

Cuthbertson yesterday accepted the early guilty plea over his contrary conduct charge following his send off in Manly's win over the Raiders last Friday night.

The 23-year-old will miss Sunday's huge clash with the Roosters at Brookvale Oval.

It's the first time the Avalon junior has been sent off in any grade of football and the first time he's been charged by the NRL judiciary in two years of top-grade action.

While admitting he was surprised to have got his marching orders for the tackle, a disappointed Cuthbertson said he hoped his cleanskin reputation had not been tarnished by the incident.

"It was just an accident ... I regretted doing it as soon as it happened," he said after training at Narrabeen yesterday.

"I said sorry to Troy straight after the game.

"I didn't sleep too well (on Friday night).

"My role is to make an impact off the bench, I went out there a bit aggressive but it just slipped up in the wrong position and I hit him high. It's definitely not in my game and it's not me as a person.

"I will cop the ban on the chin and just try and move on from there."

In team news, Steven Bell returns to the starting line-up on the wing for the clash with the NRL frontrunners, with Michael Robertson shifted to fullback in the absence of Origin custodian Brett Stewart.

Bell has missed the last three matches with an elbow injury.

Centre Steve Matai and skipper Matt Orford were sent home from training early yesterday with the flu but are expected to face the Roosters.

Vic Mauro, Nick Bradley-Qalilawa and Shane Neumann were all named on a six-man bench with the two outside backs likely to drop off.

* New Manly signing Tony Williams will make his NRL debut on Saturday after he was selected in the Eels line-up for their clash with the Raiders.

"* New Manly signing Tony Williams will make his NRL debut on Saturday after he was selected in the Eels line-up for their clash with the Raiders. "

See that's the annoying bit - Manly haven't signed the kid yet, he's just agreed to terms with Manly.  If he puts in a good showing this weekend the Eels may well up their offer and keep him.  i wonder if the papers will say they 'stole' or 'poached' him from under our wings?  Probably not.  Something more like 'won back'...pfft, it's only the Tabloid, i mean Telegraph

There is only a week to go until pen is put to paper - hopefully he will have a shocker and the Eels will out a line thru him.  However with Ben Smith/Hayne out and Grothe dropped he may have been their best & only choice.

Not worried that Eels might try and get him back, I have faith that club has locked him up but I do recall Aaron Moule.....

Williams gets a go

Brad Earl
Wednesday 4 June, 2008 12:01am

ONE week the Parramatta Eels got involved in a public slanging match over Manly's signing of teenage sensation Tony Williams, the next they've picked him to make his NRL debut.
Williams has been named on the wing in a reshuffled backline.
A selection casualty is Eric Grothe, dropped after another substandard defensive performance in the last-gasp 30-26 away loss to Brisbane last Friday.
A week ago the Eels issued a press release expressing their disappointment at Williams's signing of a three-year deal with the Sea Eagles.
Chief executive Denis Fitzgerald said: "Unfortunately Manly have come up with a massive offer, which was about double our offer, and our salary cap prevented us from increasing our bid for a player who is yet to play first grade."
That will change on Saturday night in the Eels' home game against Canberra.
Coach Michael Hagan told the Advertiser Etu Uaisele also had been in the frame for a debut but would be out for about six weeks with an ankle injury.
Williams, 19, plays either in the back row or as a centre or winger.
"My thoughts are that if players are contracted for this year, you get the best out of the player and you do what's best for the football team," Hagan said.
"I've done that before and I'm happy to do it again."
Hagan, who has a reputation for rarely dropping players, has had to bite the bullet with Grothe after his opposite Broncos number, Denan Kemp, crossed for four tries. "In the end, my patience, and the team's patience, has run out," he said on Grothe.
"Unfortunately, there's a couple of areas of his game that he needs to work on.
"He'll have to work on that in NSW Cup (with Wentworthville) in the next week or two."
Centre Jarryd Hayne is contesting the grading of his dangerous throw charge from last week's game but because of State of Origin II, will be out this week regardless.
Forward Brendan Oake has accepted a one-match ban on a striking charge.
The Eels play the Raiders at Parramatta Stadium on Saturday, with NRL at 7.30pm

This suggests to me Hagan is doing what's best, even though he's losing the kid. Don't worry lads - he's ours.

Our admin should have fought the Cuthbertson charge.  Disgraceful.  The club seems to lay down and get ****ed over by the NRL. 

DSM5 link said:
Our admin should have fought the Cuthbertson charge.  Disgraceful.  The club seems to lay down and get F**ked over by the NRL. 

The charge was not graded above careless, not reckless which IMO was a good decision. What grading are you suggesting is the right one ? Or are you saying he shouldnt have been charged at all ?

Not charged at all.  It was a rubbish slap but nothing that should have been referred.  The guy lost half a game as well as the team being penalized. 

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2