Daly Cherry-Evans in sights of Brisbane Broncos when Manly Sea Eagles contract expire

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

tookey

First Grader
DateJune 12, 2014 - 10:00PM

Brisbane officials are so confident they will snare Daly Cherry-Evans on a $1.1 million per annum deal from 2016 that they haven't even opened negotiations with incumbent halfback Ben Hunt.

Hunt is poised to make his State of Origin debut for Queensland if Cherry-Evans' knee injury doesn't recover in time for game II next Wednesday at ANZ Stadium. However, the Manly playmaker could well force him out of the Broncos after being offered a deal which would make him one of the highest-paid players in NRL history.

Both halfbacks are contracted to their respective clubs until the end of next year, but the Broncos have made an early move in their bid to prise Cherry-Evans out of Brookvale. The Sea Eagles view the 25-year-old as a future captain and are desperate to retain him, but won't be able to compete financially with Brisbane. Manly have opened talks with Cherry-Evans' management about an upgraded and extended deal but the Broncos believe they have sneaked under their guard. Cherry-Evans' father, Steve, has a close relationship with several Brisbane officials, including coach Anthony Griffin.

Broncos halfback Ben Hunt is no guarantee to be re-signed when his contract expires at the end of next season.

Should the Broncos get their man, the Redcliffe product could form a lethal halves pairing with Anthony Milford, who will make the switch from Canberra next year. The pair are seen as being capable of helping another recent signing, fullback Ben Barba, find his best form.

One complicating factor for the northerners is a salary cap investigation into the club following allegations they cheated the cap by up to $500,000 over three years. The NRL engaged Delloite, the independent accounting firm that confirmed Melbourne had systematically rorted the cap between 2006 and 2010, to pore over the books after claims of irregularities in retention and recruitment strategies. One marquee player is believed to be out of pocket for a six-figure amount, while a host of third-party payments will be scrutinised.

Long-serving Broncos player and official Andrew Gee has parted company with the club after an involvement spanning 25 years. Their coaching situation is also unresolved, with insiders claiming only a top-four finish will guarantee Griffin his position beyond the end of the season. Even that may not be enough should Wayne Bennett decide to walk away from Newcastle and head home.

Manly are facing a balancing act to keep their own roster intact. The departure of veteran back-rower Glenn Stewart to South Sydney has freed up some funds, with the majority earmarked for the retention of Cherry-Evans. However, one of Cherry-Evans' best friends at the 2013 grand finalists, Jamie Buhrer, is a free agent at the end of the year and is attracting interest from rivals. The retention of Buhrer, an obvious replacement for Stewart, is considered a key part of the strategy to retain Cherry-Evans. However, the Sea Eagles face a challenge in appeasing them both, while NSW forward Anthony Watmough will be another signing priority before his contract ends at the end of 2015.

Further complicating matters for Sea Eagles officials is the rocky relationship Cherry-Evans has with some members of the senior playing group. There has been a much-publicised divide between some of the clubs stars, with the No.7 said to be on the outer.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/daly-cherryevans-in-sights-of-brisbane-broncos-when-manly-sea-eagles-contract-expires-20140612-zs58y.html#ixzz34QnMehKX

Its obvious the Broncos will go very hard for DCE. Just hope he doesn't make a decision too early and his management doesn't let him get swayed by a few extra dollars but (which in fairness considering the third party opportunities over the length of the contract is probably going to be more than just a few extra dollars), but ultimately he will realize the Northern Beaches will be where he could become an immortal if he stays.

Comes down the the troops around them. Wallace was good in Penrith, crap at The Bronco's, then great again in Penrith.

I could see DCE having a case of the Travis Burns if he goes to Brisbane. Remember Burns was going to be the perfect foil for the best 1/2 back in the game at the time in Thurston. Where IS Travis Burns now?

Every team has cap restraints. People are starting to leave Brisbane to avoid the fallout. If DCE's old man wants to get involved in a move north, he well could be assisting in ****ing up the kids career.

A few things are certain:-
+ DCE has a great combo with Foran
+ DCE is noticed in Manly colours when it comes to rep teams
+ Manly are a team that is giving him a shot at titles most year
+ DCE player manager plays all his **** out publicly, and does who knows what damage to the kids reputation amongst the players and fans

To some, the dollar is everything. The jersey means nothing.

For me, if I had the opportunity to pull on a Manly jersey, I'd play for "just enough" to buy a home. I'm envious that these people are lucky to wear the Manly jersey and be noted as a Manly player, and not... a Parramatta or a Dogs, etc.

I don't care for the "retirement at age 30" after footie.

That's why I admire Beaver.
He was not just a player.
He loves Manly as much as the fans.

Same old poop for different toilet.

I keep reading about 'father's friends with this or that team: I couldn't give a rat's bot bot about who my dad is friends with and it's never influenced my decision about anything I've done in life.

Reading these articles is like watching a drunk dog trying to turn a doorknob.

I would prefer we keep Foran, he has really bought into the Manly culture and is popular with the senior boys. DCE is a quality player, but so is JT and he hasn't managed to bring the Cowboys a premiership. I think we'd be a better chance of winning a title with an overall strong and harmonious playing group that included Glenn, than a host of fringe players around one guy who is chewing up too much of the cap.

I wonder what he must be like as a person, because the Stewarts, Matai, and Choc, have always gotten along with everyone and really taken the young guys under their wings over the years...makes you wonder.

Snake said:
I wonder what he must be like as a person, because the Stewarts, Matai, and Choc, have always gotten along with everyone and really taken the young guys under their wings over the years...makes you wonder.

I've wondered the same. He's really easy to figure as a player - very good and getting better - but as a person, I think I've rarely been more intrigued. The only real read we ever get on him is in interviews where he seems to be unimaginably polite and generous. He is well spoken yet his grammar is complete rubbish, to the point where I don't envy the print journos trying to make sense of it.

In his Tommy Talks segment he played the part of the relaxed mate but it just didn't seem to gel. He's got a little girl and talked about how every man wants a son. I couldn't really understand why he'd say that.

Having had a bit to do recently with some kids with Aspergers (no longer a term), I wonder if he may not be at the high functioning end of Autism.

Please understand I have no intention to criticise Cherry or anyone with the disorder here. They can be really great people, just different. I say it because he intrigues me totally and I just can't get a handle on him as, I suspect, is the case with many which is why it's so hard to read his intentions.

Masked Eagle said:
Its obvious the Broncos will go very hard for DCE. Just hope he doesn't make a decision too early and his management doesn't let him get swayed by a few extra dollars but (which in fairness considering the third party opportunities over the length of the contract is probably going to be more than just a few extra dollars), but ultimately he will realize the Northern Beaches will be where he could become an immortal if he stays.

3rd parties have a habit of not being paid up there apparently.

It's a rehash of 6 months of other stories.

" One marquee player is believed to be out of pocket for a six-figure amount, while a host of third-party payments will be scrutinised.

Long-serving Broncos player and official Andrew Gee has parted company with the club after an involvement spanning 25 years. Their coaching situation is also unresolved".
If he does decide to go he should ask for the money up front. Sounds like a club in turmoil to me (not to mention their dysfunctional board).

Yawnfest, a unique talent rushing to sign for huge monies that have a proven record of not being paid :huh:

As regards to Choc getting along with everyone, and same goes with Gifty, many Players would privately disagree, along with many Fans that they have brushed by these two hard heads :cool:

Every man does want a son, especially one who already has a daughter and whose wife is expecting another child :angel:

Divide and conquer, is all that these reports are about :mad:

The Great 2v would be yelling 'Its Ridiculous' :)

I feel for Sid, as his every nuance is labelled - we had him 'cold and dismissive' regarding Gifty, now he has Asperger's syndrome - WTF !

If he goes for 1.1 million and you have Barba and Milford on huge amounts there is 40% of the cap on 3 players.

There's got to be an investigation!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4