Dan says....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
5th..

First time since I have been tipping 5th that we are there. So eveyrthing i predict, give it 12 months to be correct!

I thought this was originally predicted 24months back in 07, maybe even 06.  It seems that old. 

Dan, as impressive as Nostradamus.  At some stage of some season Manly would hit 5th. ... and it happened! Or were you even more specific and said at some stage of THIS season?  Wow!

And you were also tipping Manly were gone for the season during the losing streak at the start of the year and so should give up on this year and dump top grade players to blood players for future years.

Does that prediction and strategy still hold?

Rex link said:
Dan, as impressive as Nostradamus.  At some stage of some season Manly would hit 5th. ... and it happened! Or were you even more specific and said at some stage of THIS season?  Wow!

And you were also tipping Manly were gone for the season during the losing streak at the start of the year and so should give up on this year and dump top grade players to blood players for future years.

Have Foran and JWH had runs?

actually i remember a MSN convo with Dan and we agreed that foran would get between 3-6 games.

Though he did say they will finish 5th. I argues 4th.

Dan link said:
[quote author=Rex link=topic=181174.msg233606#msg233606 date=1248571557]

[/quote]

They have, but not at the expense of the top side as suggested

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=181174.msg233609#msg233609 date=1248572765]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Players like Kite could have used with a stint in the reggies and so could others earlier in the year. I still dont think we will go back to back and if we dont I think we could have spent some more time blooding youngsters. Going back to back is good, but it costs you more than it gains

If we look at our young guns now, for mine Foran is the only one that looking back could have been of use replacing an existing player in the squad

JWH hasn't shown me enough to suggest he would have offered more than Kite,King or Perry when they are down on form

Having watched Hopoate a couple of times, he is nowhere near ready for NRL level footy

Blooding youngsters is over rated for me, and only the 3 above are ones that would come into contention. Possibly Cherry-Evans or Hodgkinson as well, but I see no value in using them ahead of Orford at all

I suppose we could also put Tony Williams into the blooding category considering his age. And some fringe blokes have made the most of their chances in 1st grade, namely Siniula and Rose maybe in that category.

Dan link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=181174.msg233614#msg233614 date=1248578880]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Players like Kite could have used with a stint in the reggies and so could others earlier in the year. I still dont think we will go back to back and if we dont I think we could have spent some more time blooding youngsters. Going back to back is good, but it costs you more than it gains
[/quote]
So you are saying a one-off win - like 78, 87 and 96 is better than going back to back, like 72/73?  How so? We know a G/F win comes at the cost of higher salaries for players, and so a rebuilding - and B2B even more so - but is it not worth it?

And you're saying we're now 5th and you don't think we'll win it anyway, so we should give up and not field our best side? You think we should tank it? Really?

Rex link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=181174.msg233615#msg233615 date=1248579205]
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=181174.msg233614#msg233614 date=1248578880]
Dan, as impressive as Nostradamus.  At some stage of some season Manly would hit 5th. ... and it happened! Or were you even more specific and said at some stage of THIS season?  Wow!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
So you are saying a one-off win - like 78, 87 and 96 is better than going back to back, like 72/73?  How so? We know a G/F win comes at the cost of higher salaries for players, and so a rebuilding - and B2B even more so - but is it not worth it?

And you're saying we're now 5th and you don't think we'll win it anyway, so we should give up and not field our best side? You think we should tank it? Really?
[/quote]

No but building towards 2 every 5 years is good. you go back to back, players prices go up to ridiculous amounts and you end up going through a period of being out of the 8 and not being competitive, especially in the Sydney market

so if we win back to back we are screwed for the next 8 seasons (minimum)???

sorry - but that literally made me laugh out loud.

Make hay while the sun shines imho.

A smart team and recruitment staff can keep a team competitive, and I believe we fall into that category

We have our main men, both Stewarts, Matai, Watmough, Wolfman, Ballin etc lined up to decent length contracts, and around them we have a fair record of finding fringe blokes and turning them into guys that can fill a good role for us

blooding a player does not mean playing them in every game for the rest of the year. It means giving them a reasonable taste, 3 - 6 games then allowing them an off season to work on their shortfalls and coming back the following year to clock up a dozen or so games a first drop and then another off season to get improve then with about 20 games under the belt going about becoming a good first grader and making the aussie team, like glen stewart.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6