Danny Wicks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
IMAGINE being told your unborn child has no chance of surviving.

Halfway through the pregnancy, there’s no more fluid in the womb.

The lungs are unlikely to develop as a result.

If you elect to proceed with the pregnancy, the doctors make it clear the baby will likely be stillborn. What’s worse, you only have a week to decide what to do before terminating becomes a more difficult alternative.

This was the gut-wrenching scenario Parramatta prop Danny Wicks and his partner Leona had to face.

Wicks had served 18 months in jail for drug trafficking. But nothing behind bars could have rocked him like this.

Leona had encountered problems after undergoing an amniocentesis, a straightforward pre-natal test that involved removing fluid from the sac.

After feeling ill for a few weeks, Leona returned for another ultrasound.

“When ‘Leo’ went for the scans that day, I knew straight away something was up because the lady kept shaking her head and was hesitant when talking to us,’’ Wicks told The Saturday Telegraph.

“She kept taking different pictures. We were at Grafton Hospital and I remember being told by the paediatrician we needed to have a serious think about termination because if there was no fluid for the lungs to develop, the baby would come out a stillborn or with severe abnormalities.

“We were also told we had to make a decision before the 20-week mark because after that it would become much harder.’’

Wicks was stunned.

“I remember being shocked,’’ Wicks said. “But as Leo and I walked out, we both came up with the same decision within a couple of hours, and that was to (proceed).

“We wanted to give this baby the best opportunity to survive. The odds were terribly stacked against us. But we didn’t want to go through life wondering ‘what if?’.’’

Leona was ordered to immediately rest and spent time at the Gold Coast Hospital.

Wicks was making the two-hour trip back and forth to Yamba, on the NSW north coast, where he was working as a bar manager. Money had to keep coming in.

After countless tests and sleepless nights, Leona was induced at 29 weeks.

And on July 4, little Clay Gordon Wicks was born.

He only weighed 1.5kg. On the second day, Clay underwent an operation to repair a perforated stomach, which had become so dry from not enough fluid during the pregnancy.

It was also quickly discovered he had a dislocated hip.

But after nearly three months in hospital, Clay was allowed head home.

Now 17 months old, Clay looked a picture of health as he played with his older sister, Chelsea, in the backyard of the family’s Northmead home on Friday.

Wicks will never forget the ordeal.

And it’s why he has become an ambassador for The Children’s Hospital at Westmead. He spent time with some of the young patients on Friday.

“I’ve always had the pleasure of doing stuff for the kids in hospital, and putting smiles on their faces, but when you’ve been in that situation and know what they’re going through, it’s nice to give a bit back.

“I’ve always been a positive person. Jail was a chapter, a couple of boring chapters in what is hopefully a pretty good book. Time will tell.

“I’m realising how lucky I am. I’ve now got two kids and a missus who is clearly batting overs.’’

Wicks proved a revelation for the Eels last season after five years out of the game.

He has enjoyed the pre-season and seeing new recruits Kieran Foran, Beau Scott and Michael Gordon rip in.

Wicks only has a year to go on his deal.

But he’s feeling and looking fit and prepared to back himself. He won’t wonder ‘what if’?’

http://www.foxsports.com.au/more-sp...nce-of-surviving/story-e6frf56c-1227634457640

Brother in law and his missus just went through something along these lines with their daughter Allyssa being born at 26 weeks.. Little soldier is now home and slowly getting better but still needs oxygen at times... Cute little thing now :)

image.jpg

Always good to read a story like this that yet again proves that things like this are bigger than a game of football. I am delighted to hear that the little guy is now well and he has 2 parents who will cherish him. Good on them!

Yep, I said 12 mths ago we should sign this guy.... I had seen first hand and know guys close to him that he was always going to give his second chance everything he had..... The guy made a mistake and paid the price, he was well worth a contract when we had the likes of hasson making first grade each week.
But like always you have clowns who think if you make a mistake you should live it all your life.... A lot of that on here.

A hypothetical

What is the difference between a drug dealer who has "learnt his lesson" and some who assaulted a woman who has now "learnt his lesson"

A hypothetical

What is the difference between a drug dealer who has "learnt his lesson" and some who assaulted a woman who has now "learnt his lesson"

To me there is a big difference between selling some pingers and laying a hand in anger on someone.
Yes, they are both be against the law but...........

I don't give a **** about his convict past, he did his time, but quite frankly he's not that good and he's in his 30's. He wouldn't make our starting line up.

Our roster is too strong to consider a player like this, especially with fringe players like Demetriou, Knight & others coming through. Let Wicks stay with The Eels. Wicks, Hasson & Gower can send fear through the NRL playing rosters.

At the Eels he's one of their best forwards. Here he'd be in NSW cup with our other plonkers.

Great story and I wish him all the best but no thanks...

Even when people can od?
Comparing the two crimes is a bit of a pointless exercise. For both you are knowingly breaking the law, something not enough people seem to respect these days...

Even when people can od?
Exactly. I just finished reading the Sunday paper this morning, kids died popping pills at the stereophonic concert.

Imagine telling the parents of those kids this morning that drug dealing is a victimless crime.

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex
Even when people can od?
Both can have terrible and serious consequences and there are no excuses for them. If you are looking for a difference, then the only thing I would say is that in the case of drugs, both the seller and the 'victim' are committing a crime knowingly. In the other situation, the victim is not; regardless, neither offense is justified.

Last edited:
Guys I didn't mean sign him now , I was referring to this time last year when he was available ..... Our pack this year is looking good, but last year would have been a walk up starter..... Remember the two games we played last year against parra... There pack dominated us. Wish him all the best anyway .

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6