David Smith's Vision

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Phantar

Bencher
Article by Adrian Buymeavowel:

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-boss-pledges-solid-future-for-all-20130511-2jenv.html

His comments re:stadiums could be interpreted in several ways.

Questions? Comments?

SeaEagleRock8 said:
The Banker hasn't impressed me just yet.

What would impress you? (Serious question)

I find some people want him to be high profile - but he is the CEO not the media manager. He is dealing with a large organisation and his mark won't be felt in weeks or months, rather years - he is creating the structure for what he believes will deliver long term success

I just want him to be pro active....Greenturd???jury out on that appointment.....ASADA left the players out to hang..... and apart from that he has done SWEET FA

voicefromthehill said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
The Banker hasn't impressed me just yet.

What would impress you? (Serious question)

I find some people want him to be high profile - but he is the CEO not the media manager. He is dealing with a large organisation and his mark won't be felt in weeks or months, rather years - he is creating the structure for what he believes will deliver long term success
Not sure, maybe he will prove a success. I just wonder about his lack of feel for the game.

By the way, I am not among those who want him to be more high profile. In fact I hope he stays home at Origin time, it might be awkward if he was asked a tricky question, such as which team is the current champ, or which team is playing in the blue jerseys.

People who think he is doing nothing are deluded, he is doing a major restructure on a muti million dollar company i doubt you will see 80% of what he does behinds the scenes. There is so much dead wood in Rugby league that needs to be removed.

He is in a difficult situation - undoubtedly he knows how to manage a big $ business, but he is stuck dealing with a largely uneducated supporter base when it comes to big business (and that is what our game now is). I think he is wise in executing the structure he has. Please to compare him to GB is an insult - GB is a snake oil salesman, he lacks substance and class.

Smith does not need a feel for the game, he needs someone in the position of football operations manager (or whatever the title is) to do that. Smith is running this like a business, something Gallop failed miserably at. Please don't get swayed by the "what will people in pubs and clubs say" media beat up merchants.

Maybe you are right, but don't you think league is more than a business? NRL is a business, but there is more to league than the NRL.
Jonesy's dead wood comment is apt, and anyhow I am keeping an open mind but I'm certainly not doing cartwheels just yet.

I'm not expecting much from him just yet. As Jonesy said, he's doing the restructuring required for the long term future right now. The results of his work will start to show in a couple of years.

The jury is out for mine as he has had no time really BUT

Responding to Hadley after being personally abused by him worries me. The CEO should not have to reply to every crackpot journalist with a gripe.They employ media manages for that rubbish and to publically say he will have a sit down with Hadley smacks of weakness in my opinion.Who appointed that dickhead the face of the people.

Do your job,get on with it and be judged by results, not by what some fascist cab driver has to say about you.

He should respond directly to the public on contentious issues and act decisively-its not that hard.Back your decisions,implement them and shape the game.The commission will judge your performance.Many people don't like Demetrio but he is decisive.In my opinion the less contact the CEO has with journalists the better- most have zero business acumen and care only about the next headline

susan said:
The jury is out for mine as he has had no time really BUT

Responding to Hadley after being personally abused by him worries me. The CEO should not have to reply to every crackpot journalist with a gripe.They employ media manages for that rubbish and to publically say he will have a sit down with Hadley smacks of weakness in my opinion.Who appointed that dickhead the face of the people.

Do your job,get on with it and be judged by results, not by what some fascist cab driver has to say about you.

He should respond directly to the public on contentious issues and act decisively-its not that hard.Back your decisions,implement them and shape the game.The commission will judge your performance.Many people don't like Demetrio but he is decisive.In my opinion the less contact the CEO has with journalists the better- most have zero business acumen and care only about the next headline

Continuing to give Hadley a free-kick to slur his abilities, would have been worse. Unfortunately, Ray has the ear of many people that go the easy route and believe what he says without thinking deeper.

Smith is adjusting to the manner in which League is promoted and discussed in this country, and I believe that he's earned a 'pass' at this time.

Of greater importance to me, is what he is putting in place behind the scenes to make the game stronger and leave the likes of Hadley little to whinge about (they'll still find something) in 3-4 years time.

And the fact he has removed the leaking culture of head-office, is a great step.

That's my point HH.Who cares what people "who take the easy route and believe what he says" think.I don't and he shouldn't.He should have a plan and implement it regardless and be judged on that.

I agree he needs a lot more time to be judged but I pray he doesn't go down that same path political leadership on both sides of politics has descended into where all they care about is what the latest focus group thinks.

People are crying out for leaders to make gutsy calls and the funny thing is those so called ""leaders"" cant see that......so forget about Hadleys pining audience and get on with it.He is obviously an intelligent bloke and I wish him well.

The guys a wanker. More rugby union than league. All he sees are large Souless stadiums. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but on statements so far, a lot of hot air and movement for us.

susan said:
That's my point HH.Who cares what people "who take the easy route and believe what he says" think.I don't and he shouldn't.He should have a plan and implement it regardless and be judged on that.

I agree he needs a lot more time to be judged but I pray he doesn't go down that same path political leadership on both sides of politics has descended into where all they care about is what the latest focus group thinks.

People are crying out for leaders to make gutsy calls and the funny thing is those so called ""leaders"" cant see that......so forget about Hadleys pining audience and get on with it.He is obviously an intelligent bloke and I wish him well.

Because the Gallop legacy was to have fans expecting him to appear on the box everyday with a comment, whether we agreed with him or not.

Smith doesn't do it and it's a period of adjustment for us as a mob to accept that, and it pisses off the likes of Hadley and Buzz, bringing out their inner spoilt child.

The small concession for Hadley is a good look and after it dulls Rays attacks, Smith swamps the media with in-depth interviews the counter the allegations from Hadley. It was a great reaction to have this broad response to those concerns, instead of the reactive, one-offs the Gallop presented and could never capture the fans attention.

Speaking as a fan, I don't want to pay any attention to administrators. We only notice them when things aren't working properly.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6