David v Goliath

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Lawrence, Starling, Horo, Symonds, Lui, Hasson, King, Sene-Lefao

v

Graham, Tolman, Eastwood, Pritchard, Klemmer, T-Rex, Jackson, Finucane

If we can pull this off, it will be written in league folklore. If we can just match them, then our backs can pull this out.

I think our forwards should wheel a large buffet table packed to overflowing with sumptuous food onto the field prior to kick off. Frank the Tank , Ear Biter, T-Dog & co will be too distracted to play well :idea:

Mals said:
I think our forwards should wheel a large buffet table packed to overflowing with sumptuous food onto the field prior to kick off. Frank the Tank , Ear Biter, T-Dog & co will be too distracted to play well :idea:

How about Kasiano on a spit? Pretty juicy.

The Souths and Bulldogs packs are similar in that they are massive. We have always struggled to match them. I don't see it being any different on Saturday.

Still. I hope.

I can't see us winning this comp. A month or two back I was confident. Eliminating the Bulldogs would be some consolation.

Size can be important, but its more down to effort and enthusiasm. We obviously didn't have much of either last friday, hopefully both have been fully restored to maximum levels!

Masked Eagle said:
Size can be important, but its more down to effort and enthusiasm. We obviously didn't have much of either last friday, hopefully both have been fully restored to maximum levels!

Friday's game we we never in it, weight of possession simply took it's toll, at half time we completed eleven sets less than them, before we scored a try, the penalty count was 5-1 Souths, and possession was something like 65-35 Souths, very hard to win with figures like that.
The trouble is though, our past few games have the same statistics.

We will potentially be carrying an injured Ballin and underdone Lawrence. No Choc, no Gift. We have absolutely no business winning.

Stranger things happen all the time in football.

Crusher_Cleal said:
Lawrence, Starling, Horo, Symonds, Lui, Hasson, King, Sene-Lefao

v

Graham, Tolman, Eastwood, Pritchard, Klemmer, T-Rex, Jackson, Finucane

If we can pull this off, it will be written in league folklore. If we can just match them, then our backs can pull this out.

Its like matching Gogomoblie against a "78 Fairlane

Stevo said:
The Penrith pack isn't huge either
Good point Stevo !!! The panther pack is hit by injuries and is not huge but they are winning because they are playing with huge hearts . Anything is possible when players play with passion
I believe 2V can lift our team , Its do or die now

Tthe difference is that the panthers have lost Taylor,Cartwright,Peachey etc but. the replacements are first graders,not plodders.Grant,Plumb,Segeyaro,Docker,Kite,Mckendry,Brown,Robinson would walk into our pack this week.

All the talk in the world doesn't help if the pigs are second rate and ours are with the injuries.....titles are won on the back of healthy sides or sides with great depth.Luck and internal stuff have derailed us unfortunately

Spot on Susan

A big plus for penrith is a lack if big name stars in this situation

They have filled out a top 25 with very good 1st graders and have the depth to cover. With us paying quite a few big names decent coin that shows at the bottom of our top 25 where we fill the gaps in

Yep Kiwi.Just look at our record the last few years.Healthy and we are a class above.2009 ,2010and 2014 we have massive injury toll and we are in real trouble.I am over the moon with what we have achieved but a new era now and maybe we are heading for a more balanced roster around 2 superstars,not 4 or 5.

David v Goliath-"I will give the carcasses of the Bulldog philistine army to the birds of the air, & the whole world will know that there is a team in Manly" :)

But how did David defeat Goliath?. He was bigger stronger scarier. :s

He did it with the skillful use of a lethal weapon. A bulls eye hit. :exclamation: In the legend its a slingshot i recall.

Do we have the sling: Yes: our halves. Do we have the weapon: the stone yes: Snake.:cool: Somehow we have to go around them, over them, under them, and destroy their confidence / shape with successful attacking raids. From these we will have to score. If we can get a large early lead, then we can defend it, and win.

There's a lot of impossible "IFs" here. Think the odds of 10 to 1 sound about right for us.

David & Goliath is a complete exaggeration when talking about the two forward packs. I keep on reading how massive their forward pack is and how light weight ours is, but the facts don't actually bear that out. below is a table of the forward packs with weights from their player profiles. The difference in weight across 8 blokes is just 38kg's or less than 5kg's per player. Surely that can't be a David V Goliath contest.

Lawrence 106 Graham 106
Starling 104 Tolman 103
Horo 102 Eastwood 112
Symonds 100 Pritchard 112
Lui 108 Klemmer 120
Hasson 105 T-Rex 118
King 109 Jackson 98
Sene-Lefao103 Finucane 106

Total 837 875

I think the term refers to their respective achievements,not size.

Pritchard,Graham,Easwood are seasoned internationals.Williams and Ennis are origin players and Jackson came within a whisker this year.Tolman is a Gf winner who is close every year for the blues.Finicane has been talked about as a future origin player.Klemmer was best player in NYC and has done very well for such a young bloke at prop.You don't win on paper but it is a total mismatch achievement wise.

I think as many others have said, we have adopted an approach these last 10 years of having a star studded side of about 17-18, and the other 7 very much also rans who got the very very occasional game.

When you take out a number of the star studded side and replace them with also rans (as we have had to do) its very much a David V Goliath situation.

Lets face it, worked perfectly in 2007/08 then 11-13 but not so in 2009-10 and now again in 2014.

There's no doubt you just have to have your top 17, playing well, and uninjured at this time of the year.

Add in the broo ha ha of the "supposed" player issues and you are in deep do do's!!

I know there are other positive threads about but for the life of me I can't see Saturday night being one bit different to last Friday night, in fact I'd expect to see a similar 24-0 or 30-0 half time score which is "game over".

Of course we'll score a few at the end (when it doesn't matter) but the first 20-30 minutes will be the death nell of season 2014.

And please, I am not being negative, just realistic!!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4