DCE's Uncle witnesses brawl

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
....a sad day for junior league

MORE than 50 players and parents were involved in a sickening brawl during a junior rugby league game yesterday, in which first aid officers had their heads stomped on by parents.

Rugby league endured some of its most shameful scenes, as the Greater Brisbane Junior Rugby League grand final day descended into violent chaos that required police intervention.

There were two separate brawls involving parents, one in an under-15 final, the other in an under-18 final both played at Wests Centenary ground in Wacol.

The second incident was so frightening it has even prompted calls for fences to lock parents out of future grand final days.

The second brawl occurred moments after the hooter sounded in the Waterford v Redcliffe under-18 grand final.

Coach of the Redcliffe team Leon Cherry, uncle of NRL star Daly Cherry-Evans, said it was the most horrendous thing he had witnessed during 35 years involved in the game.

"The image I can't get out my head is when I was signing the game sheet, I turned around to see one my players king hit then kicked while he was on the ground. A safety officer jumped in to help him and he was knocked to the ground and had his head stomped on while laying on my player," Cherry said.

"Parents rushed the field. They targeted my players, just attacked them for no reason.

"There would have been 50 or more people involved in the brawl.

"I'm absolutely disgusted with Waterford and what those parents did.

"There should be minimum five year bans handed out to a number of players from Waterford.

"I'm amazed that no one was seriously injured."

Cherry said the fight occurred because Waterford, who had defeated Redcliffe easily in each of their encounters this season, could not handle losing.

"Our guys defended themselves and threw some punches no doubt but half as many as they did and only to protect themselves," Cherry said.

"I honestly think we should consider erecting fences around the ground to lock out parents from grand final days."

The event was supposed to be the highlight of the rugby league season, featuring hundreds of kids from across Brisbane seeking premiership glory.

There were several Brisbane Broncos players in attendance including winger Dale Copley, who used Twitter to vent his shock at witnessing the under-15 brawl.

"Parents running onto the field fighting at junior rugby league... Really?#disgrace" he wrote.

"Should be banned from junior footy forever."

The Queensland Rugby League will launch a full investigation tomorrow.

A police spokesperson confirmed they were called to the field after a "massive brawl" took place.

"We arrived on the scene but the offenders had left, we patrolled the area to ensure nothing else happened," police said.

Police said no formal complaints had been made at this stage.

Ambulances were also called to the scene but no one was taken to hospital.

Greater Brisbane Junior Rugby League operations manager Shane McNally confirmed the brawl broke out at the Wacol field and said officials were helpless if spectators did not follow the rules

"Unfortunately we don't have the control, we cannot be around the fence and stop people from jumping," Mr McNally said.

"People think they have a right to participate in sport, we are looking to take that privilege away from people who behave inappropriately.

"If people are going to go to matches and behave violently than we have to stop then we have to find ways to stop them from coming."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...rupts-into-brawl/story-fndo1yus-1226474871274

"There were two separate brawls involving parents, one in an under-15 final, the other in an under-18 final both played at Wests Centenary ground in Wacol. "....some of these parents may be revisiting Wacol.

My old stomping ground Waterford, home of the mighty Demons.

The joint obviously hasn't gained any class.

How times change - I remember getting a smack in the chops in an under 16 GF. The guys dad ran into the field, apologised to me and dragged his boy off, now we see the parents join in

voicefromthehill said:
How times change - I remember getting a smack in the chops in an under 16 GF. The guys dad ran into the field, apologised to me and dragged his boy off, now we see the parents join in

Mate it's a different mindset in place like Waterford. I remember something very similar happening when I was a junior and being chased around the field by old lady with an umbrella.

They don't muck around when they get upset.

Unfortunately I have been involved in something like this when I was younger. In a game against Cabramatta at their ground. Fight during the game, nothing serious, but one of their guys calls his mates. 6 carloads of guys rock up and all hell breaks loose. Baseball bats etc.

Pretty scary stuff.

Did someone on the other side of the planet make a video about Waterford which they didn't like?

Waterford. No surprise.

I played in the comp that included Waterford amongst other 'Like' teams, some real grubs getting around.

bones said:
Did someone on the other side of the planet make a video about Waterford which they didn't like?

Mate did you see all of those Dogs Jerseys running around Sydney yesterday?

guess they were all annoyed no qld team remained in the nrl final series.

team, mate .... team!

there's no "I" in team

though if you re-arrange the letters you get "me"

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8