Defence Under Toovey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
I know it's pre-season, but it appears that we aren't doing the little things right in energy, fitness, execution, but most importantly, defence.

Geoff Toovey is a self professed "laid back" coach, and I don't know if that suits us. We looked pretty sloppy out there, and it looked as though there is no attention to detail we are used to under Hasler's regime.

Toovey has coached two games, with two losses (not a concern in trials) with 64 points ripped through us, and 18 points scored (average of 9).

We didn't seem to have any spark in both games (only small tidbits that I have seen from The Sharks game).

Very early, and pre-season, but there are some early warning signals going in my opinion.

I'm also shocked Galuvao wasn't selected for the WCC. This game would suit him to a tee. I also thought Toovey held Buhrer back too long.

Some "decent" bits of play, but wow, a huge improvement is required heading into New Zealand with revenge on their minds ! Show some pride in defence team, and I'm looking predominantly at Wolfman, Oldfield and Matai.

You got to be joking Ryan. 1st game...overseas....pissing down rain...what do you expect. Leeds defence was very very good tonight.

Ah the real silvertails is back. I almost think some on here enjoy us losing so they can have their rants.

Not just referring to you Ryan more so the comments in the match thread.

I am not overly concerned at this stage although I didnt see this game and wont bother watching the replay. Nothing worse that starting a season when you have already been crowned world champions and celebrated like winners.

The NRL season is what counts and this results means there are no big heads and over confidence.

Frogz said:
You got to be joking Ryan. 1st game...overseas....pissing down rain...what do you expect. Leeds defence was very very good tonight.

No, not joking at all. I think I explained my position pretty thoroughly and calmly. Honesty, I expected a victory. Both teams played in the rain. Both teams played on the same field of grass.

Again, I thought our execution, and attention to detail was found wanting. Their team focused on peppering Wolfman, and that worked. Their defense was in our face more often than not, whilst our allowed their attack a fair bit of second phase play.

That's all about commitment and desperation. I thought Leeds showed more of that, and I question if that level of commitment would have been different if Hasler still had been here right now (I bet he's a very happy camper right now).

I don't think a "laid back" coach suits this teams culture as well. I think that's an appropriate and balanced statement.

Ok, you say the odds were stacked against us, so I'm ok with this 26 points against us. What do you say about The Sharks 38 points?

We need to have more desperation in defence, and Toov's can't go into this season thinking last season's attack will win the competition. Games change year on year, and we need to continue to be one step ahead.

Personally Ryan I think they erred in targeting Williams, but they still won anyway. Imagine if they'd targeted the Oldfield/Matai combo on the other side?

Phantar said:
Personally Ryan I think they erred in targeting Williams, but they still won anyway. Imagine if they'd targeted the Oldfield/Matai combo on the other side?

To be honest, I thought some of the penalties classed as high on guys like Burrow from T-Rex were pretty shonky. I know I'm biased, but that's just my opinion.

That lead to their (kind of) game winning try.

And Berkeley, the only thing a post like that would do mate, is to create angst amongst posters. We are all here to discuss footy. Dripping sarcasm adds absolutely no value.

Don't be that guy this year. Your much better than that mate.

Come on Ryan, do you really think that is us at full pelt. The WCC is a farce and after winning it in 2009 our players and Toovey realised it aint worth wrecking the normal season. Hence the matchless preperation and going over with half a game under our belt. I dont think most people realise just how much this stupid game effects the players. Everything is opposite to australia teams opposite time of day, opposite part of world, opposite climate. Its really is a farce and until they play it in Vegas at the end of October I wont take any notice of it. What i am happy about is that we are more focussed on our season. Toovey is selling you a dummy if you believe he is relaxed as a coach, did you ever watch him play or talk to players when he was trainer?? Relaxed ba ha ha!!!!

I dont think we can be reading too much into things just yet. Wait and see how our defence is after a month in the NRL.

conanu said:
Come on Ryan, do you really think that is us at full pelt. The WCC is a farce and after winning it in 2009 our players and Toovey realised it aint worth wrecking the normal season. Hence the matchless preperation and going over with half a game under our belt. I dont think most people realise just how much this stupid game effects the players. Everything is opposite to australia teams opposite time of day, opposite part of world, opposite climate. Its really is a farce and until they play it in Vegas at the end of October I wont take any notice of it. What i am happy about is that we are more focussed on our season. Toovey is selling you a dummy if you believe he is relaxed as a coach, did you ever watch him play or talk to players when he was trainer?? Relaxed ba ha ha!!!!

You make some great points mate, but I think Tooves was pretty focused on winning this one. Also, I don't get why an Australian Team, has to go to The UK, after they have had weeks of the season proper under their belts, at their home grounds, and call it a "challenge".

Wonder how those blokes would do at Brooky, on Sundee arvo, under 28 degree sun.

LoL.

Also, Jason King looks like he is either thinner, fitter, or more mobile..don't know what really?? He looks good.

conanu said:

Great post conanu and right on the money.

Frogz said:

so, why wasn't our defense "very very good tonight"?

Geez give Toovey a break & let him grow into the head coach role. He's had 2 pre-season games in charge & there's calls that he's lacking attention to detail & he's too laid back!?!? Did you see him laying down the law at half time??

Mals said:
Geez give Toovey a break & let him grow into the head coach role. He's had 2 pre-season games in charge & there's calls that he's lacking attention to detail & he's too laid back!?!? Did you see him laying down the law at half time??

and did you see us winning after he "laid down the law"?

Could you imagine if Leeds had to travel to Australia with half a game under their belt and play us 3 weeks into our normal season at brookie on a friday night. Please! we would have pulled thier pants down. That game helps the english champs and ruins the aussie teams thats why they go back to back every year. And also dont say we have had cronulla put 38 points on us it was more like 2 trys to one. Our real players didnt come on till the second half in that game. We have had about 4 ligit trys scored against us to 2. Im not worried we won it in 09 and look how well we did after that.

Mals said:

He looks pretty focussed on the sideline. Almost serial killer worthy :p

Ryan said:
Also, Jason King looks like he is either thinner, fitter, or more mobile..don't know what really?? He looks good.

I think he is injury free for the first time in yonks. He and T-Rex were my pick of the forwards.

Mals said:

This is a very important season for the club. It's a very important season for Tooves. Both on and off the park, so I really hope your right.

conanu said:
Could you imagine if Leeds had to travel to Australia with half a game under their belt and play us 3 weeks into our normal season at brookie on a friday night. Please! we would have pulled thier pants down. That game helps the english champs and ruins the aussie teams thats why they go back to back every year. And also dont say we have had cronulla put 38 points on us it was more like 2 trys to one. Our real players didnt come on till the second half in that game. We have had about 4 ligit trys scored against us to 2. Im not worried we won it in 09 and look how well we did after that.

so, why were the last 3 ARL teams able to do it and we couldn't tonight?

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6