Define - Enforcer.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
I had a "discussion" with a bloke at work the other day about enforcers and their role in teams.  He reckons they are the blood and guts, maniac type players that every team needs a couple of to intimidate other sides.
I think the role has changed and the true enforcer type these days are the Civonaceva (spelling?) and Steve Price types.  Hard as nails and relentless work rates.  Players like them put more stress on an oppostion side than the Croker's and Geyer type players.
He used Watmough as a point in the Manly side, stating he is our enforcer.  I don't think he is as feared as he was in the intimidating role, but his work rate when fit is as good as any forward in the comp, minus mistakes.
Just wondering what others thoughts were, and who would you nominate as modern enforcers??

Not nearly as many as in the old days of Randall, Gillespie, Ronny Gibbs, Reilly, O'Neill, Hoppa, Dowling, Tallis etc, in fact there are teams without enforcers, such as Titans, Tigers - even Illawarra-George - who have succeed this season.
I'd put The Hyphenator into the modern enforcer category. Others that come to mind are Gallen, O'Donnel, Matai, Ben Cross, Crocker. Of course, these days the TV scrutiny is so intense it's hard to be the tough guy and remain on the field. Even Petro received two weeks, and he is a 'clean' enforcer.   

enforcers, we don't need long winded descriptions when we can just hand out a few names

- Mark "spud" Carrol
- Terry Randall

Those guys were enforcers. I haven't seen any players come close in recent years.

I thought Kylie Leuluai was an enforcer. Very under rated but very tough and clean. He was by no means a cat, but was feared by many.

I was dissapointed to see him leave a couple of years ago.

Dan link said:
enforcers, we don't need long winded descriptions when we can just hand out a few names

- Mark \"spud\" Carrol
- Terry Randall

Those guys were enforcers. I haven't seen any players come close in recent years.

I used to love watching manly play Newcastle when Spud and Chief came together.  They were always at each others throat to see who would win the battle.

Bring that stuff back

en·forc·er   /ɛnˈfɔrsər, -ˈfoʊr-/  
[en-fawr-ser, -fohr-]  
–noun
1. a person or thing that enforces.
2. Terry Randall.

Seaeagle63 link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=185437.msg296747#msg296747 date=1285116414]

- Mark \"spud\" Carrol
- Terry Randall

I used to love watching manly play Newcastle when Spud and Chief came together.  They were always at each others throat to see who would win the battle.

Bring that stuff back
[/quote]

yes those two were certainly both enforcers and their clashes were epic

mark carroll , ian roberts , david gillespie , glenn lazarus, martin bella, sam backo, greg dowling. bob cooper, dallas donnelly, les boyd, gorden tallis, alan cann, blocker roach,  bulldogs had more than any team in the 80`s, theres more i cant be ebothered racking me brain over them,  the toughest of the tough was bumper farrelly, jack elsegoods grand father, the stories about him,, if you want to check out stuff like that theres a site called the era of the biff .. www.eraofthebiff.com
check it out  got all the hard men there, aww yeah i just rememberd another 1  les davdison when he hit them they stayed down,..

Dan link said:
[quote author=Seaeagle63 link=topic=185437.msg296756#msg296756 date=1285118187]
[quote author=Dan link=topic=185437.msg296747#msg296747 date=1285116414]

- Mark \"spud\" Carrol
- Terry Randall

I used to love watching manly play Newcastle when Spud and Chief came together.  They were always at each others throat to see who would win the battle.

Bring that stuff back
[/quote]

yes those two were certainly both enforcers and their clashes were epic
[/quote]i have that game on dvd..

Can anyone find the youtube of the spud v chief hit?

Boyd is one of my favourites of all time, but on the field he was a thug, not an enforcer

Just watched this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvMFHXcd0yQ&feature=more_related

What about old Solo? Some big bangs in there!

An enforcer puts the attacking team in two minds through fear of that rib cracking hit. So many aspects of this game to love.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4