Des going?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
DES Hasler's coaching position at Manly is the subject of intense speculation again with suggestions he could move to the Bulldogs before the start of next season.

Only his extremely tight relationship with the Manly Sea Eagles players has stopped Hasler from pushing for an early release.

Manly part-owner and chairman Scott Penn denies it's an issue "at this stage", but my information is that others on the Sea Eagles' board have been talking about it.

While Hasler is the ultimate professional and will give his full attention to the premiers next year, he will obviously be dealing with the Bulldogs behind the scenes on player recruitment and other planning issues.

The same as Wayne Bennett did with the Knights this year while continuing to remain in charge of St George Illawarra.

Bennett even spent an entire day in Newcastle planning for 2012 in the week leading up to the Dragons' knockout semi-final against the Broncos.

It later emerged he had been dealing with the Knights management and Rick Stone for a couple of months while his Dragons were in a form slump.

This sort of manoeuvring and strategy planning for a future employer would not be tolerated in any other business.

When a head honcho makes the decision to switch camps, it's common sense that he or she leaves immediately.

Penn told me during the week it was a situation Manly would be monitoring.

"Des is under contract to Manly for another year and at this stage he'll be our coach until the end of the season," Penn said.

Others at Manly are not so sure. The board is still fractured, with directors working in different directions over the future ownership and the coaching situation.

Those on the board opposing Penn's view on Hasler are concerned for their own positions, with hostile members still furious that the two-time premier coach wasn't signed up earlier this year.

They feel they will lose their jobs at the next football club elections if the changeover to Geoff Toovey is not a smooth one.

The Bulldogs management and senior players are aware of Manly's predicament and that their directors are wavering.

But chief executive Todd Greenberg has ruled out making an offer to buy out the final year of Hasler's contract.

"We're operating business as usual," Greenberg said, "but if anything was to happen from Manly's end we'd obviously be accommodating for whatever Des wants to do."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/whats-the-buzz-manly-sea-eagles-coach-des-hasler-could-switch-to-the-canterbury-bulldogs-before-the-season-starts/story-e6freye0-1226180271532

wombatgc said:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/whats-the-buzz-manly-sea-eagles-coach-des-hasler-could-switch-to-the-canterbury-bulldogs-before-the-season-starts/story-e6freye0-1226180271532

and according to the caption under the 2nd picture in that article, "Des Hasler is the man to replace Hasler at the Sea Eagles"

Jethro said:
wombatgc said:

and according to the caption under the 2nd picture in that article, "Des Hasler is the man to replace Hasler at the Sea Eagles"
That's the answer!...we need to clone Des before he leaves.:p

HappilyManly said:
Manly couldn't be beaten on the field so the News Ltd is now taking the backdoor root :p

Each to their own I suppose. Not my cup of tea though.

I'm being told that Des will start at the Bulldogs on the 1st December 2011. This is coming from the same guy who told me before the Rd 26 game that Des would be going to the Bulldogs.

PONTIAN SEA EAGLE said:
If he's forced out will that be classified as a sacking or not???.

If he is foced out then the inference there is that he does not agree to leave, then yes, it would be a sacking. If he asks to be released from his contract, and we agree, then that wouldn't be classified as a sacking.

I can't see how he can stay, it would be an impractical situation and leave him open to innuendo and speculation about his motives all season. Imagine the uproar if we lose 4 or 5 in a row next season.

Chip and Chase said:
I can't see how he can stay, it would be an impractical situation and leave him open to innuendo and speculation about his motives all season. Imagine the uproar if we lose 4 or 5 in a row next season.

The first 4 or 5 would be real interesting.

bones said:
I'm being told that Des will start at the Bulldogs on the 1st December 2011. This is coming from the same guy who told me before the Rd 26 game that Des would be going to the Bulldogs.
I reckon = close this thread. This is rank speculation.

Seven news tonight reported des joining the dogs sooner than 2012.

They asked Ennis about it but he couldn't string a sentence together.

bob dylan said:

Thats not surprising, Ennis has the IQ of a house plant.

bob dylan said:

I think he should go, and anyone that wants to follow can go too. That is one less problem for the club. Next the board. 2 premierships won and both times more crap for the club and players to deal with. Sort it out and lets get back to league.

Maybe they shouldlet him go but have an agreement no signing of manly players until 2015

leave the poor bastard alone and let him get on with guiding us to another premiership, instead of feeding off the telecrap rubbish. des is a professional and if we all ignore all the telecrap muckraking we'll be a long way there to getting the job done...

Dess Hassler. I always suspected this bloke was more hassle than he was worth, on account of his unusual name.

Has anyone sacked Brian Smith recently, maybe he is available?

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6