Des Will Not Take Failure Lying Down

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
One thing for sure - Des and his team will be out figuring out what we can do to get back to the top next year. There are no laurels on which to rest and having got a taste for success last year, this year's 'vintage' will be pretty sour.

A few egos will be dented and obviously a few need to get their confidence and/or hunger back.

Canteen Worker link said:
One thing for sure - Des and his team will be out figuring out what we can do to get back to the top next year.
  Yes, Dan tells me their IP addresses have already been spotted trawling through here for our words and wisdom with quite a bit of cut and paste activity around DSM5's pleas for Tony Williams to wear the 6 immediately.

Do you really think Des will pull any rabbits out of the hat, or ruffle any feathers ? History suggests not. We had the cattle to defend our title, just didn't have the hunger.

I really think those KPI's in his contract could turn out to be a master stoke, Des won't make changes he's to loyal to his core player group, just like he won't foster young talant - you watch and see how many of those 20's stay with us and how many go to other clubs to play first grade.

And how many of them will succeed? ffs, some people are massively overreacting. Considering a) the loss of Beaver and Bell, two of our most experienced players, b) the start we had to the year and c) constant backline injuries meaning we had no consistency for most of the year, we didn't do that bad.

For those bagging Des for not being one for risks, how many players have left to go onto better things since he took over? He came through very well with Foran this year, and quite a few others were given opportunities through poor form, Origin and injuries. Have we already forgotten last year? We've had a huge past 18 months and have done pretty damn well considering. Yeah, we had a very ordinary game against Melbourne but considering the circumstances going into the match you can't be too surprised if the players weren't 100% focused.

We've got the squad and the coaching staff to be in contention again next year, don't go throwing your toys out of the pram just yet.

I guess Des has been reading Downie's posts.  He's going to re-sign Orford for two more horrible years. 

Downie:
And how many of them will succeed? ffs, some people are massively overreacting. Considering a) the loss of Beaver and Bell, two of our most experienced players, b) the start we had to the year and c) constant backline injuries meaning we had no consistency for most of the year, we didn't do that bad.

should have checked this thread before doing my own post-mortem. succinctly put.

I don't think we did have the cattle this year due to the injuries/suspensions/soo. was hoping we would suddenly click into top gear for the finals but the circumstances worked against it, plus we've been running rough in attack all year and probably only the last titans game looked alot like the best form of 2008.

CW what is with all the **** sandwich eating and positive mumbo jumbo.

Accepting your weaknesses is part of conquering them

Dan link said:
CW what is with all the S**t sandwich eating and positive mumbo jumbo.

Accepting your weaknesses is part of conquering them
Are you referring to another post or this one? Do you disagree with 'dented ego', 'sour' feelings, confidence and hunger needed and Des needing to spend some time working on a plan to get back to the top. No rosy eyes here!!!

a few of yours have been far too positive for my liking. You know how I love the doom and gloom

'A plan to get back on top'?  CW, what was needed was a plan to win games.  Didn't see that in the games that mattered.  Like all of them. 

DSM5 link said:
I guess Des has been reading Downie's posts.  He's going to re-sign Orford for two more horrible years.  

heh, I said in another thread yesterday he shouldn't be re-signed, so I hope he has been reading them :p

missing_something link said:
I really think those KPI's in his contract could turn out to be a master stoke, Des won't make changes he's to loyal to his core player group, just like he won't foster young talant - you watch and see how many of those 20's stay with us and how many go to other clubs to play first grade.

How many young players have we lost under Des that have gone to other clubs and played NRL ?

I can think of Aaron Cannings but honestly no other spring to mind unless we throw JWH in

Michael Witt was a superstar after he left Manly. He was the best player for us last year, several times when in a Warriors jersey. Steppa was a sensation for the Sharks after leaving Manly. Jack Afamasaga also dominated the NRL upon leaving.

You two love children Kiwi and CW.  In past years we haven't really had some talent coming through, so who wasn't in the top 25 was clearly not very good.  This year has been different.  We have a talented crop of youngsters and some good prospects in the Qld Cup.  They are the ones that need encouraging.  Moving some old wood on is not a bad thing.  Change can be a good thing and not a thing to shy away from.

Posing a question DSM

To critique Hasler as a coach who has lost good talent, surely some examples would be around to show that wouldn't they ?

The ones that are good enough, have always come through under Hasler so far, The Stewart brothers being the best example, Foran being the latest

The only prospect of the current bunch we are losing is Hargreaves.
Genuine prospects I have seen, and I only see them 4-5 times a year, would be Lussick, Foran, Hopoate and 1 of the front rowers whose name escapes me. Cherry Evans is 50/50 for me at this stage.

I'm not the source of the 'Hasler tossing talent away' thread Kiwi.  I was just pointing out that I'm calling for him to get rid of Orford for a talented younger guy.  Hodkinson, Foran, Cherry-Evans should be considered.  The off season would sort something out.  Of the players that have moved on in past years, none of them have shown the promise of the ones you mentioned.  What worries me is what worries others.  Namely, that we are keeping underperformers and not giving those coming through a go.  The natural thing for them to do is to look for advancement elsewhere.  That's the danger as I see it.  Maybe it won't come to pass, but if it does I'll be pissed 

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6