Dessie does the time warp again

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Mike Colman From: The Sunday Mail (Qld) September 04, 2011 12:00AM

http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/dessie-does-the-time-warp-again/story-fn6ck6i3-1226128879812

MANLY coach Des Hasler reckons the NRL should tell his club how they plan to spend the $50,000 it was fined for the weekend's sideline brawl.

I've got an idea. How about the league invests in a time machine to bring Manly into the present day?

Who the heck does Hasler think he is? Frank Stanton or Ron Willey or some other Manly coach from the 1970s? That's obviously the time frame he's living in, along with the rest of his club's administrators.

Take Manly's suspended media manager Peter Peters for instance.

Zorba was part of the Sea Eagles grand final team in 1973 when he and the rest of the Manly pack spent much of the game getting thumped in the head by Cronulla front-rower Cliff Watson.

The violence in that game made last weekend's blue look like a six year-old's birthday party. And what was the fallout? Nothing. No suspensions, no fines, no outrage.

It was just the way footy was then.

Maybe that's why the Sea Eagles handled this current brouhaha so poorly. Living in the 70s like they do, they can't see what all the fuss is about.

That's probably also the reason Zorba stuck both his feet in his mouth on Wednesday night when he said to a reporter endeavouring to do her job, "you're a good sort".

Not once, but twice, and surrounded by a battery of TV cameras and microphones. Brilliant.

Someone remarked to me yesterday that Peters' comment did more harm to the image of rugby league than the brawl.

Given that the majority of people seem to think of the fight as "just part of footy", it's probably a fair call. Especially when the people David Gallop is so worried about offending are the mums who sign the under-seven enrolment forms.

You also have to wonder how influential, successful woman like Sarah Murdoch, Wendy Harmer, Layne Beachley, Louise Sauvage, Johanna Griggs and Zali Steggall, who make up the Manly support group Eagles Angels, feel knowing that the man in charge of advising Manly players on how to deal with the media, and in turn the public, is 40 years behind current accepted practice.

Still, what can you expect when the rest of the club refuses to grasp that times have changed and Ken Arthurson doesn't run the game any more?

The moral outrage with which Manly react whenever anything goes against them is beyond annoying. It's downright boring.

I've often described Phil Gould as a Japanese soldier on a Pacific island who doesn't know the war is over for his continuing one-man crusade against Super League.

I'm starting to think Hasler is on another island.

It's been almost three seasons since David Gallop fined Manly and suspended Brett Stewart when the code's poster boy was allegedly drunk at a club function. Three seasons and a few hundred games of rugby league.

Yet Hasler and the club just cannot get over it, never missing an opportunity to remind the world how hard done by they are and to demand an admission from Gallop that he did the wrong thing way back when.

It's an admission he has made patently clear will not be coming.

With every press conference blow-up from Hasler or self-important press release emanating from Zorba's laptop you can sense the postscript: "This wouldn't have happened if Arko was still in charge".

That's the whole point. Arko isn't in charge, which means Manly aren't a protected species any more (although looking at Brett Stewart's one-week suspension for his incendiary role in the brawl you have to wonder). They are just a footy club like everyone else and the 1970s are ancient history.

The sooner that filters through to the people in their ivory tower on Pittwater Rd, the better off we'll all be. There will be less complaining, whingeing and arrogance.

And maybe fewer sexist comments. Or is that too much to hope for?

What's he saying? Manly should say sorry for the way they won a grand final 40 years ago? If so, who is still fighting in the jungle? Not Manly.

More mums would be put off by Thaiday's tackle than any brawl or some bloke calling a pretty young thing a good sort.

I can see why putting up with Queeeens-landers is so hard. Tough article and about the level you would expect from a one-eyed and one-celled Cane Toads bleached by too much sun and XXXX. But he is right about the way Des goes on at every press conference. They are whinge-fests and starting to rival Tooves moaning in refs ears. I'll be happier for the day when we just get on with footie.

Actually Jerry he got 3(325 points) and got a week off for plea and a week for good record.Almost got in a blue yesterday reminding a bronco merkin of this very fact.

I am amazed how many journalists come up with the same yelping about a week. being insufficient.

This is nothing.Gerard Wakely and thet yawnion fool Frierr came up with 8-12 weeks for last weeks fight on Outsiders.Also suggested an AFL player who ran 30 metres would have got the season.No Mr Frier,they do run 30 metres regularly like Brett and dont throw a punch,like Brett, and get a $3000 fine.An elbow to the head off the ball draws a massive 2 weeks in AFL,probably 8 in our game.

The waffle from the ariel ping pong brigade surmounts even our hysterical ranting in league circles.

lol bitter and twisted bear scumbag

while lyon is holding up the cup in 4 weeks

the bears will be still a nothing club

Couldnt agree more MB.Footie talks.The other stuff is getting real boring.I spend my whole time defending it which takes away valuable time in regard to informing the infidels about Manly's rich history of success.

Just another tiny prick who has a chip on his shoulder because of our success. The typical tall poppy media weasel trying to bring others down to their grimmy level. Hay Coleman take your article and shove it up your arse. While your at it I'll shove the NRL premiership trophy up there in 4 weeks too you scumsucking ****ing little weasel.

Did anyone watch the Warriors game?

If so did you hear one of the Foxtel commenators say when introducing the Warriors team, that a warriors forward just wants to go out and hurt someone.

Now I ask you is that a 'good look' for the game or not?

If that comment is a good look that's fine but not in light of the above article. If it is not a good look maybe the writer should look at the culture of some other teams.

Really would any Western Sydney mum like her child to play rugby league when there are people who openly state "I just like to go out and hurt someone?"

I for one like Shyhooks and particularly that song. The 70's were a lot better than things are today by the way.

And one of the best movies out was Rocky Horror Picture Show. I've even seen the show at Star City. They were great. After all, its just a jump to the left and then a step to the right. With my hands on my hips I bring my knees in tight. With a pelvic thrust ..... lets do the time-warp again.

All I need now is a glass or two of red and it'll all happen again.

Maybe we should play that after our next win.

mickqld said:
Just another tiny prick who has a chip on his shoulder because of our success. The typical tall poppy media weasel trying to bring others down to their grimmy level. Hay Coleman take your article and shove it up your arse. While your at it I'll shove the NRL premiership trophy up there in 4 weeks too you scumsucking f**king little weasel.
lol. This.

This guy was always anti Manly,he's a North Sydney, News Limited and Super League stooge of the highest order.

Peter C said:
This guy was always anti Manly,he's a North Sydney, News Limited and Super League stooge of the highest order.

I haven't followed his career as closely as you obviously have Peter, but he did write the Fatman's bio some years ago. He also wrote the book 'Sueprleague' which was pretty balanced. So my guess is he doesn't hated Manly that much. He's just writing for his intended audience.

****ing beauty !! If we are stuck in the 70s we have 4 Premierships on the way ! Good times ahead people

And for the 'sexist' comment, what a joke lol

Phantar said:
Peter C said:

I haven't followed his career as closely as you obviously have Peter, but he did write the Fatman's bio some years ago. He also wrote the book 'Sueprleague' which was pretty balanced. So my guess is he doesn't hated Manly that much. He's just writing for his intended audience.

Sure, he has always written for his intended audience which is Brisbane biased, he did however state that when the joint venture with Norths ceased, that Manly were not worthy of holding the licence in the NRL and that Norths were cheated out of it by Manly.
I did enjoy reading Superleague though.

Yeah, and how many titles did we win in the 70's? I wonder how Coleman feels this morning after nearly getting defeated by the past? Maybe its about time the future smack him and the Broncos in the face.

I'm loving the hate!!

I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it!!!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6