Discipline will be the key

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagles Terrorist

Reserve Grader
Watching a replay of the win against Brisbane, half way through the first half we'd completed 31 from 31 sets, including the second half against the Cowboys.

If I'm not mistaken, throughout the year, we've reduced the amount of stupid penalties considerably. Compared to last year, that is a real blessing.

Watmough is involved in so much and is playing great. Of course he'll make the odd mistake, but that's simply a fact of having so much involvement and players look to hit him.

Discipline and calm heads will win this GF. If we get behind, look for players like Kite, Stewarts and Lyon to increase their involvement and get field position.

Choc is great for us & makes the odd mistake, but those mistakes seem to be at crucial times & when the opposition is very close to our line. He needs to cut out the silly penalties. He always throws his hands in the air like what ref what did I do...He knows he pushes it at times. He definitely needs to be disciplined on Sunday. He needs to shake the cold too!!!!

We just need to do what we have done all year, after all we have only lost 6 games this year, and a few of them were by small margins or with an understrength team.

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
manlysister said:
Choc is great for us & makes the odd mistake, but those mistakes seem to be at crucial times & when the opposition is very close to our line.

or when we are on a roll and look like close to scoring.

Choc has made less errors this year than Snake.

I find criticism of him baffling. He is so important to what we do you have to live with the odd error, (and he averages less than one per game). Its not only the metres he makes with the ball but IMO he has the quickest play the balls in the NRL for a forward, you have to factor in the metres made by the next player, its so crucial us.

People talk like he drops it half a dozen times a game and he costs us points in both attack and with missed tackles in defence. Similar to how people criticise Matai, every once in a while he'll get done defensively and people will criticise his style but conveniently forget how many tries he saved with the same technique.

Masked Eagle said:

I find criticism of him baffling. He is so important to what we do you have to live with the odd error, (and he averages less than one per game). Its not only the metres he makes with the ball but IMO he has the quickest play the balls in the NRL for a forward, you have to factor in the metres made by the next player, its so crucial us.

People talk like he drops it half a dozen times a game and he costs us points in both attack and with missed tackles in defence. Similar to how people criticise Matai, every once in a while he'll get done defensively and people will criticise his style but conveniently forget how many tries he saved with the same technique.

Its not how many times he drops the ball its the moment he does it. Most times it is a really crucital part of the game. He pushes passes sometimes when he should take the tackle. Not bagging him out at all he is great for us, but he needs to cut out the silly stuff, hang on to the ball & not give away dumb penalties.

Don't get me wrong Masked Eagle, but I think that Choc's mistake rate has been excellent this year in comparison to previous years. That last game was just a bit like a step back in time to his old ways with his ball handling mistakes at crucial times as one of the times we were on a roll near their line and were close to scoring.

Throughout the season I thought that choc has actually been quiet not too involved (goes missing) however in saying that with so many other team members that are standing out around him it is easy to also forget the good work he has doing.

He has really worked on cutting down his errors and silly penalties that he gives away each game. That was evident in the game against the Storm where he didn't come swing fists but rather tried to separate players.

Choc's not one of my favourite players but give credit where credit is due, he is a integral part of the side.

Masked Eagle said:
Understand, but is there ever a good time to drop the ball?

Not really (unless you are going for the drop kick).

OneEyedEagle said:
Throughout the season I thought that choc has actually been quiet not too involved (goes missing) however in saying that with so many other team members that are standing out around him it is easy to also forget the good work he has doing.

He has really worked on cutting down his errors and silly penalties that he gives away each game. That was evident in the game against the Storm where he didn't come swing fists but rather tried to separate players.

Choc's not one of my favourite players but give credit where credit is due, he is a integral part of the side.

Maybe also, the reason that you may think that he has been quiet is because he has cut out a lot of the dropped balls and other mistakes in his game this year so that you don't notice him as much.

Jethro said:
Masked Eagle said:
Understand, but is there ever a good time to drop the ball?

Not really (unless you are going for the drop kick).

OneEyedEagle said:

Maybe also, the reason that you may think that he has been quiet is because he has cut out a lot of the dropped balls and other mistakes in his game this year so that you don't notice him as much.

Very true Jethro. I was also thinking of the explosive runs and busting through the defensive line that I am more used to see him doing. I think the whole team has stepped up this year making it harder to pick individual star. In my One Eyed eyes opinion they all have been stars this season.

I am prepared to go out on a limb a say I rate this side as one of or the best sides Manly has every put together.

Masked Eagle said:

the other night on NRL on fox they were comparing stats between the two fullbacks locke and stewart.
not sure if it was for all year or just the finals but locke had 8 errors to stewarts 0 errors!

What would have happned if Choc was penalised for THAT dubious play the ball? We got lucky there.

Anyway, to my original point - a very, very discilpined performance, even through a nervous 15 minutes midway through the second half when the Warriors got on a roll.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7