Disillusioned/disruptive players....what to do?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Killer03

Bencher
Out of the whole saga that has been going on with us, and other clubs (ie Barba to the Broncs, or Boyd getting out of Newcastle) what was really annoyed me is how fans and management just get to the point with a peed off player who is under contract and say 'screw it just let him go, he's causing trouble'.

Now I agree with doing that, and I would do the same if I was in charge. But I hate seeing that kind of behavior rewarded. And I think we are starting to see this more and more (or at least rumours through media outlets and player managers) and are going to start seeing a real spike in it.

But my point is how do we stop this? I'm not suggesting keeping a player that doesn't want to be somewhere, as it can derail teams and affect other players. So what do you do? I honestly have no idea......does there need to be some arbitration between the parties. Oh hang on that would mean the NRL getting involved and being proactive...so scratch that. Any thoughts?

Enforce a club rule that you will never sign more than a one year contract with us?

Seriously, the lack of negotiation deadlines means players/clubs will continually feel the heat of negotiation, even when there are 18-24 months left on a contract.

Excuses that players need time to move, is crap. Time to put the big boy pants on and appreciate that you can't whinge about having an off-season to negotiate/move as too little, but happily look to greener pastures mid-season and mid-contract, often enough in another area.

I don't think it would be legally enforceable as it is probably restraint of trade, however the NRL could introduce a blanket rule that if a player is released at his request, he can't play for another NRL club for the period of remaining on his contract.

For example of Choc is that disillusioned that he can't stomach one last season with Manly, he gets released. However he either needs to sit out 2015, or play in England. This will stop other clubs inducing players to break contracts, because there will be no point, and will also be an disincentive for the player himself as he will either forego a years' pay, or have to play outside the NRL.

However if its at the club's initiation, for example to address salary cap issues, then the player is free to play wherever.

Merdy33 said:
I don't think it would be legally enforceable as it is probably restraint of trade, however the NRL could introduce a blanket rule that if a player is released at his request, he can't play for another NRL club for the period of remaining on his contract.

For example of Choc is that disillusioned that he can't stomach one last season with Manly, he gets released. However he either needs to sit out 2015, or play in England. This will stop other clubs inducing players to break contracts, because there will be no point, and will also be an disincentive for the player himself as he will either forego a years' pay, or have to play outside the NRL.

However if its at the club's initiation, for example to address salary cap issues, then the player is free to play wherever.

It's not a restraint of trade, because they are one half the legally binding contract that they so wish to get out of. If the player is turning it up and asking to leave, make them sit out the season (a la Gordon Tallis in 1996 with St George) and you'll soon see a sharp turn in disgruntled players. Not too many would want to sit out an entire season based purely on principle. The problem seems to be made worse by clubs simply allowing disgruntled players to walk. I think the ol' June 30 deadline should be reintroduced. I never wanted it gone in the first place. It might not be the perfect solution, but all that abolishing it has achieved, is lengthen the speculation, innuendo, and uncertainty, from one crazy month, to all year round.

Easy.

Cut disruptive players.

Give disillusioned players a chance to vent their feelings internally and give it a go to resolve their issues. If no resolution see above.

It's pretty simple really get players who have more respect for the club,coach and supporters. It's always players that demand the big dollars that cause these problems not the battling team mate who would bust his gut for the security of a 3 year deal.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6