Do we have the best backline in the Comp

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rambo1987

Bencher
I think we are up there but we do have a few little issues with wingers but the best halves combo.

1. B. Stewart (NSW/Aust)
2. J. Taufua
3. S. Matai (NZ)
4. J. Lyon (NSW/Aust)
5. D. Williams (NSW/Aust)
6. K. Foran (NZ)
7. D. Cherry-Evans (Aust)

I really cant see anyone matching us in the 1 to 7.

I am not sure. I think we need a experts opinion on this, Darren can you ask Jase and let us know?

I think that backline comes pretty close to best in the NRL business but I am more excited next year about the backup and some of the new / young recruits.

1. B. Stewart (NSW/Aust) / Clint Gutherson
2. J. Taufua / Peta Hiku
3. S. Matai (NZ) / Dane Chisolm
4. J. Lyon (NSW/Aust) / Esi tonga
5. D. Williams (NSW/Aust) / Jacob Gagan
6. K. Foran (NZ) / L Foran
7. D. Cherry-Evans (Aust) / Kayne Lawton

Not sure who else we have in NSW Cup or NYC.

So we have a trrific forward pack with some great backup and now same in the backline. Will be intersting to see what the odds are at season start. Will be a good bet.

any team with the games best centre and best halves pairing is the best.

who would be the 2nd best? cows, dogs, storm?

But what about the forwards.

Backs look pretty but usually ccannot fire unless the engine room is running well making meters and doing the hard tackles etc.

eagle-rock08 said:
But what about the forwards.

Backs look pretty but usually ccannot fire unless the engine room is running well making meters and doing the hard tackles etc.

Exactly, whilst we have some excellent prospects and some what looks good on paper back up, it's our forward pack that's starting to look not so great.

Now don't jump on my back here we still have some great forwards BUT we do tend to look a little thin when we get injuries.

Newcastle should have a good backline and the Bulldogs but lack in the halves. Souffs would be the closest to us and the Storm.

Ageing backline and some ageing forwards is going to be a concern. These guys declining speed may be a problem as well.

mickqld said:
Ageing backline and some ageing forwards is going to be a concern. These guys declining speed may be a problem as well.

You are correct Mick, I think the secret is to have a mixture of experience and youth...there's no doubt though we are starting to see that just coming through. Tafua ws the breakthrough in 2012, not sure who's next to breakthrough possibly Chee Rex

Based on the backline's last performance of the season (with the exception of Jamie Lyon) the answer would have to be NO, unfortunately.

Of course, we all hope that the smashing we received from Melbourne was an aberation and will not be repeated this year.

Jorge wll be interesting to watch next year. With a bit of pressure from Hiku and Gagan and the dreaded 2nd year syndrome. Hard to forget how good he was this year though. I hope he fires early and really kicks on.

The key to the backline is Snake getting back to full fitness & in 2013 should be good as he can since the knee probs.
Also the young halves will only improve & with Joey offering advice could be scary for opposition teams.
Fact is when we were towelled up in final by the Storm, it was the fowards who let us down & with Rocks/Diamonds player Rex replaced by willing , whole hearted aggressive players cant see this happening again in 2013.
Hard to put it down to 1 player but Snake at his best is what really seperates the Seaeagles as clearly the best backline imo...

Ryan said:
On paper, and accounting for depth, I believe we have the best team in the NRL by some.

Agree we have a great team on paper - and therein lies the problem, you don't win on paper. And ultimately you need them functioning as a team and not a quality group of individuals (not saying that is the case)

voicefromthehill said:
Ryan said:
On paper, and accounting for depth, I believe we have the best team in the NRL by some.

Agree we have a great team on paper - and therein lies the problem, you don't win on paper. And ultimately you need them functioning as a team and not a quality group of individuals (not saying that is the case)

We have the best true supporters. :)

manlyfan76 said:
[We have the best true supporters. :)

I love this quote BUT what does actually make a "true" supporter?

Or is this just one of those "Meme" thingies (whatever that means) from Silvertails...and bit like the "Hope you enjoy the cut sandwiches Vidmar at the Football Club Board meetings"

Mark from Brisbane said:
manlyfan76 said:
[We have the best true supporters. :)

I love this quote BUT what does actually make a "true" supporter?

Or is this just one of those "Meme" thingies (whatever that means) from Silvertails...and bit like the "Hope you enjoy the cut sandwiches Vidmar at the Football Club Board meetings"

You mean they cut the sandwiches for the board? Now that's luxury.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8