Do we need fowards??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
tookey said:
bennyeagle said:
How many minutes did king play on Friday night ? He looked miserable !

Miserable? To me King has played two seasons too long as his body is not up to first grade standard any more ?

He played a whole 12 minutes Basically we played the dogs with 15 men as hodges only come on for 8 minutes

Poor use of our bench once again

I couldn't understand the selection of Hodges tbh. Surely against that Bulldogs pack we needed as many big boppers as possible.

Not to mention I thought Hasson played well the week before against the Roosters; he has good leg speed and is aggressive. Maybe the concussion kept him out of the match this week?!

I agree, that a Lauaki type monster would be good in two short bursts. I have noticed he is being used off the bench in NSW Cup. I wonder if being benched is a reflection of his form, or purely a tactical ploy to use him as an impact player.

Yeah i had high hopes for Areyoufeelinme Luaki but i think he's been coming off the bench in reserve grade so probably not an option.

We are talking up the chances of forwards in our reserve grade side gaining promotion, but do any of them show real heart? How can a team which, on paper, looks strong with players "pressing for first grade" get flogged most weeks? They obviously don't have much pride in their performance.
There should be an investigation into our Reserve grade. I know most posters blame Williamson, but ultimately it comes down to giving their best for the club.

The Who said:
We are talking up the chances of forwards in our reserve grade side gaining promotion, but do any of them show real heart? How can a team which, on paper, looks strong with players "pressing for first grade" get flogged most weeks? They obviously don't have much pride in their performance.
There should be an investigation into our Reserve grade. I know most posters blame Williamson, but ultimately it comes down to giving their best for the club.

But the strange thing is that when any of them get a run in firsts they generally step up.

When was the last time any of the forwards in Reserve grade got a run? Don't include Symonds or Hasson.

Probably Sao last year?

Stevo said:
How did he step up? he was given 8 minutes

The question you posed was "given a run", not who "stepped up".
The only Reserve-grade forward I've been impressed with is Tyson Andrews, but I've only seen 3-4 full matches. Most of them have been really disappointing, given the high level of expectation in pre-season posts on here.

I asked a question in response to Alan who said the reserve grade forwards always step up when they play first grade. So the last reserve grade forward who played and also "stepped up" in my opinion was Sao last year.

Lauake has been coming off the bench in the twos. The try he scored two weeks ago, suggests he does have another gear to go up, he put in a nothing sort of hit up close to the line, then seen how close to the line he was, then his legs start pumping and carried about 4 over the try line with him to score.

He's a big unit but if played a little similar to Georgie was in years gone by, in short bursts, with him needing to prove he belongs back in top grade. It has to have more impact then playing second rowers off the bench all the time.

Cliffy said:
Lauake has been coming off the bench in the twos. The try he scored two weeks ago, suggests he does have another gear to go up, he put in a nothing sort of hit up close to the line, then seen how close to the line he was, then his legs start pumping and carried about 4 over the try line with him to score.

He's a big unit but if played a little similar to Georgie was in years gone by, in short bursts, with him needing to prove he belongs back in top grade. It has to have more impact then playing second rowers off the bench all the time.

thanks for the update. I was hoping someone would shed some light on how he has been going in the reserves. Maybe selection off the bench in FG will be the catalyst for taking his game to another level. My biggest concern about players of his ilk is defence. It's no good him coming off the bench and bending the line, only to be found wanting in D.

That's been the most pleasing thing about Starling this year. As much as he plods on occasions, he really stands his ground in defence and makes good reads.

At full Strength i'd like to see this.

8. Lawrence
9. Ballin
10. Lui
11. Watmough
12. Horo
13. Stewart

14. Buhrer
15. Starling
16. King
17. Sene-Lefao

With Symonds/Hasson coming in for Starling depending on the opposition.

Stevo said:

8. Lawrence
9. Ballin
10. Lui
11. Watmough
12. Horo
13. Stewart

14. Buhrer
15. Starling
16. King
17. Sene-Lefao

Has Horo been playing that well this season to guarantee his spot each week? Does T-Red deserve his place?

Anyone wanting further insight into the form of our reggies, read their game thread every week.

Yes, Hasson didn't recover from concussion, to play last week.

As for reserve-graders stepping up this year: Jesse Sene Lefao is the obvious one. (Very few minutes in 1sts last year). And stepped in, and stepped up mightily this year.

Lui and Starling were reserve-graders too (just not at Manly) before stepping up to do OK in 1sts.

As have Lawrence and Horo; just last year being their graduating season.

The single biggest factor not mentioned enough is... Brent Kite.

The difference between our good and bad now is far greater without his input (and Nood ).

And it's no coincidence Penrith sit with us on top, now that Kitey is over there.

The Who said:
Stevo said:

8. Lawrence
9. Ballin
10. Lui
11. Watmough
12. Horo
13. Stewart

14. Buhrer
15. Starling
16. King
17. Sene-Lefao

Has Horo been playing that well this season to guarantee his spot each week? Does T-Red deserve his place?

Probably not. But i can't see Tooves changing it and we probably need a utility on the bench as opposed to 4 forwards. Sure Buhrer could switch to any other position if needed but i'd prefer a fresh utility any day.

Given the versatility of most footballers today (meathead props excluded) I think the concept of a fresh utility players is on the way out.

It's all a gamble stevo, with the new concussion rules and intensity of forward impact it is not unusual for us to see 2 or 3 forwards out of the game each week. Who in our outside backs are going to cover the forwards?

It is easier to but ferris, T-red or even JSL out there than disrupt defence up the middle.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6