Does Gallop/NRL have a case to answer ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jatz Crackers

First Grader
Does Gallop/NRL have a case to answer ?

I feel he does, and I will explain why.

Firstly, I have based the following on one simple point. Gallop is not god and nor is he a member of the judiciary. He cannot simply make decisions (albeit administrative) that can have damaging effects on peoples lives and careers without perameters to work within.

Administrative law principals are important in guiding decision making & include procedural fairness, rights of response, finding fact based on evidence, non discrimination, natural justice etc.

Todays events have now condensed the entire issue to one critical point. That being the MWSE report in which it states that at “18.00pm Brett Stewart was asked to leave Main Bar due to intoxication”. This, & only this, is what Gallop is now stating as the reason for Brett Stewarts suspension. Specifically not the sexual assualt allegation.

Everything else in the media releases reference information that connects with the fine imposed on the MWSE club for its handling of the season launch.

The information to date (IMO) displays that Gallop has failed to apply appropriate decision making principals in this matter:

1) Gallop did not afford Brett Stewart the opportunity to refute the intoxication allegations (it should be noted that other NRL players have been afforded that opportunity)
2) If we are to believe Gallops silence on the issue no action was taken by the NRL to properly ascertain if Brett Stewart was in fact intoxicated
3) Nothing to date shows that Gallop provided Brett Stewart his right of reply to the ascertion that his conduct brought the game into disrepute & nor to the proposed penalty of suspension
4) Gallop has stated publicly (& now contradicted publicly) that he applied the circumstances surrounding the sexual assault allegations as to the reasoning behind his decision to impose suspension.

â€œThe term of Stewart's exile was discussed at a meeting between Gallop and top Manly administrators, CEO Grant Mayer and chairman Scott Penn, at NRL headquarters yesterday morning. The ultimate four week suspension gives both parties enough time to determine how the case is likely to pan out in the long term, with a hearing not expected for another 9-12 months. Results from police DNA tests and further witness testimonies will give Manly and Gallop a better idea of whether Stewart should return this season. "It's in everyone's interest - including Brett Stewart - that the player be taken from the spotlight for the time being," Gallop said.
Daily Telegraph March 12, 2009

Resign now Gallop.

Might just do that.

Reason I put it there is I am curious to see if people generally get this and see the problem Gallop might face if ever this gets to a hearing.

Nice post there Jatz.  It's time now for Manly to turn up the heat and take legal action.

If there is one good thing that has come from this. At least all the anti-lowe, and sponsorship issues seem to have been forgotten

Dan link said:
If there is one good thing that has come from this. At least all the anti-lowe, and sponsorship issues seem to have been forgotten
Yes, I wish Gallop would hurry up and just apologise already, so we can get on with bagging Lowe.

Fro link said:
Is there some footy on this weekend? I cant remember
Yes, there is Fro. See http://www.silvertails.net/forums/index.php?topic=186723.0 but no one seems to be interested. Now we know what sells newspapers and it ain't the footie.

GallopStewartGate

This topic has been done to death. I don't mind if people continue to discuss it. Go for your lives because I understand the anger and frustration that you are all feeling. I feel it myself.

I also understand that with that comes the need to vent, discuss your point of view, opinion and all the angles of the issue.

However, one thing that does bother me is that we seem to have a new topic posted on it every hour or so, and you can't read a post without reading something on the issue. The forum is essentially choked with these topics.

I can't see a need to continually spawn new topics on the same issue. So I ask that you please keep posts on the topic to a single topic so we don't flood the forum and miss other conversations.

I don't mind which one you use, but lets just stick to one.

Of course if there are more news articles on the issue we will continue to post them and you are free to discuss each article on their merits, really you are free to do mostly what you want anyway. But I am just asking for the sanity of the forum and for the enjoyment of all lets limit things and lets not have anymore new topics on the subject please.

Again I understand your frustration and your right to discuss the subject.

Dan

GallopStewartGate

Rodo link said:
Nice post there Jatz.  It's time now for Manly to turn up the heat and take legal action.

Just to be pedantic....... if legal action was to be taken then I can only see it being by Brett.

While he has a case about the damage done to his reputation, im much less certain if the club could mount a case given their admissions about their so called "procedural" failures at the season launch.

GallopStewartGate

Gee I wish the people at the club put the same energy into finding a sponsor or getting us a better home ground then dredging this up again YES gallop is fool we all know this, and we also know why snake was suspended ( they won't say because of legal reasons) but this is all old news and doing snake no favors. Time for the club to either take legal action or get over it and pour the wasted energy into improving this club. I believe this siege mentality RUBBISH is working against the club,( no one likes us we don't care ) as an example does us no good with sponsors or politicians time to get the chip off our shoulders and enjoy the game and club for what it is. The last 2 years we have argued with refs argued with judiciary last year was painful every second half we would collapse yet Des would blame the ref, that attitude filters down to the players who use it as an excuse. So don't waste time with these polls as they are worthless no poll will ever change my support for snake and I wish him all the best for the upcoming season

GallopStewartGate

I agree Jatz, im sure Gallop could work his way around the 100K fine through very particular choice of words and the clubs admission (although the club could have been under duress) but the 4 week suspension on Stewart and the reputation of his character from that do appear to have been tarnished without due fairness to Brett.

GallopStewartGate

Jatz Crackers link said:
[quote author=Rodo link=topic=186714.msg321052#msg321052 date=1299623952]
Nice post there Jatz.  It's time now for Manly to turn up the heat and take legal action.

Just to be pedantic....... if legal action was to be taken then I can only see it being by Brett.

While he has a case about the damage done to his reputation, im much less certain if the club could mount a case given their admissions about their so called "procedural" failures at the season launch.
[/quote]

Very true Im going off memory here. Manly were given very little time to prepare this document. They also had just returned from England.This is an obligation for the club and very nice one at that, but they were not in a postion to be able to prepare it correctly

Lets not forget the environment at the time. This scrutiny did come from left field

Had any other club had to prepere the same document that may incriminate. When la franchi was on similar charges did the tigers have to advise the NRL if he had been drinking and had t satred atb the tigers leagues

When the broncos players had there toilet party were the broncos asked to prepare the same documentation . Did the bronco culture contribute to the booze sessions. Its all relevent. When darren lockyer tackles a bar manager who asked him to leave the pub and then denied it was him have a case to answer, or were the broncos asked to prepare a document as to why they have such a culture

If this was the case and the nrl does expect this from all clubs  who the hell wrote ours and why wasnt it checked our legal representation we have on the board We have either been ripped off but done ourselves no favours at all. I cant say which as i dont know all the facts but either way its worrying

The club did the best they could at the time and were probably not prepared for the onslaught. It certainly looks as though they have been treated as a club differently to all other clubs

And on a side note where the F#$% is the player union through all this . Surely they believe brett has been singled out. What a wate of time they are

GallopStewartGate

Theres no stopping justice from taking place in this case anyway.Its all out in the open now isnt it.Ive been at this News Ltd puppet for years.And banned for it.Good to see people are aware that hes got a News Ltd hand up his ass.Theres NO WAY he can lead the new era of the game.News Ltd must release their DEATH GRIP on the peoples game for it to prosper once again.Now Gallop you moron take your filthy looking sour emu head and **** off to Mars.

GallopStewartGate

Love to see it BUT ain't going to happen....Gallop won't do any of the above as he knows he then opens the door to massive claims.

GallopStewartGate

jbb/james link said:
And on a side note where the F#$% is the player union through all this . Surely they believe brett has been singled out. What a wate of time they are

Very good point JBB.

That reminds me about another point. Geoff Bellew is an accomplished barrister with very good footy legal knowledge and relationship with Manly. His name has recently been bandied about for a position on the IC. That would make his involvement with Bretts case untenable. Coincidence ?

GallopStewartGate

yeah its getting hard to keep up
how about merging everthing to this thread, only thing if its a news item..

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6