Does Manly have best depth in comp this year?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Reserve Grader
HI all.. my first post after reading your great site for years.

Commentators consistently underestimate our depth for three reasons:
1) they don't follow lower grades like we do
2) they wrongly equate Reserve grade/ NYC success with depth
3) they are morons who hate us

Surely, the true test of depth is the quality of your 18-25 ranked players... ie those who will do most of the back-up. On that measure, I struggle to find a team with a better quality 18-25 this year. Can you?

Based on my team selection (see below) our 18-25 is;
18. Horo
19. Tafua
20. Wolfman
21. Blair
22. Vave
23. Hodges
24. Hasson
25. Jake T

My team: Snake / Hiku / Killer / Matai / Gutherson / Foran / DCE / Lawrence / Ballin / Starling/ Symonds / Lui / Buher... Reserves: Jesse SL / Mateo / Burgess / Mason

As an aside, that is the biggest bench we have had in years. Can't think of a team with a bigger, more impactful bench than that this year.

Welcome. 1978 was a good year

We've signed a few forwards which could turn out to be good, time will tell. Our depth is definitely looking healthier than last year. Having said that we haven't struggled badly over the last 5-10 years fro depth, we always seem to unearth someone or pick up good under rated recruits. One spot I think we are light on for depth is centre. If we lose Killer or Skivvi we might struggle, T-Red can fill a hole for a couple of games but not a long term fix.

I think that there will be some good benches around this season, Dogs will field a big pack and have good depth, even losing Ennis and Finucane.

I do think depth is good this year, which is ironic since we seem to be written off every year for a number of reasons, and high on that list is always no depth!

Whilst not ideal to lose key players, I believe in the short term we cover well.

1. Snake (Hiku or Gutho)
2. Wingers Galore....take your pick (Hiku, Gutho, Taufau, Wolf, Blair, Turbo)
3. Centres (Hiku or Gutho I think would fill in admirably
4. Halves (Killer will be a good replacement if DCE plays origin, plus JLJ, actually I think Gutho might be suited here)
5. Props (good coverage, Mason, Lawrence, Starling, Turbo, Burgess)
6. Workrate backrowers (Horo, Buhrer, Lui)
7. Skilled Backrowers/Explosive Backrowers (Mateo, JSL, Leary - I agree with others, big year for Leary)
8. Hookers (Hodges and Balli)

To me it looks good. I like Snake being covered. I thought in 2011 with Hoppa the pressure was taken off him. He seemed to add a week to recovery time, because we didn't need to hurry him back, and that meant he came back fresher, fitter, and I think a point to prove that the young buck wasn't quite as good as him!

.................No we don't. We're behind Souffs, Rorters,Dogs,Bonkos,Panffers, Parra.

Pretty good selection.
I'm a fan of using Fullbacks as wingers. Defensively a must in the modern game.
With good players like Jorge's or Wolfy's inability to defuse bombs were telling and it costs us BIG games. Their days as Wingers should be numbered and they better adapt to playing Second Row or Centre or playing reserve grade.
-

Pretty good selection.
I'm a fan of using Fullbacks as wingers. Defensively a must in the modern game.
With good players like Jorge's or Wolfy's inability to defuse bombs were telling and it costs us BIG games. Their days as Wingers should be numbered and they better adapt to playing Second Row or Centre or playing reserve grade.
-

Well Wolfy and Jorge tackle or try to, not like P-Rex

Your constant death riding of Hiku is getting stale. Will you man up on this site when Hiku has a good game & acknowledge it?
Depends on how many tries he lets in

He let in 8 tries in the last 3 games last year by meekly swinging out an arm

Potentially he lost us both the premiership and minor premiership with his defensive efforts

Naturally we here are all going to think that Manly have the greatest depth, simply because we are Manly fans who discuss and read/hear reports on not just our main stay players but also our fringe, NYC and NSW cup players. IMHO I don't think Manly has the greatest depth this year but they will still be very competitive (more so than last year) should players be injured or called up for rep games.

A number of other teams including the Panthers (who were very competitive last season when injuries struck many of their players) have strong depth and it's these teams that will go close to winning the competition this year.

Our centre depth is the weakest, but not critical.

If we lose Killer/skivvy we can move Hiku/Gutho to the Centre position and play wolf/blair/gutho on the wing.

Also T-Red plays a decent centre and probably Mateo can play centre if needed. Tooves will be aware of this as it is tough losing Skivvy/killer for a few games.

If we don't make the top 4 in reggies this year something is seriously wrong with how we treat our lower grade players regardless of the game plan! Every player except one has NRL experience!

Gutherson
Wolf man
Blair
Satini
Williame
Littlejohn
Rudolph
Vave
Hodges
Trbojevic
Symonds
Horo
Sene-Lefao

Hasson
Chee-Kam
Andrews
Sao

If we don't make the top 4 in reggies this year something is seriously wrong with how we treat our lower grade players regardless of the game plan! Every player except one has NRL experience!

Gutherson
Wolf man
Blair
Satini
Williame
Littlejohn
Rudolph
Vave
Hodges
Trbojevic
Symonds
Horo
Sene-Lefao

Hasson
Chee-Kam
Andrews
Sao

Symonds and JSL won't be in NSW Cup, but I definitely agree we have no excuse not to do well there this year.

If we lose Killer then I would be very worried. Everyone pencils him in to cover other major losses but I'm not sure we could cover him.

There will be a catastrophic loss some time this season. It happens to every team almost every year. We have worked hard on recruitment via the youngsters and it is up to them to step up when called upon. That is what makes each new year so exciting for me, anticipating who can make a difference.

Last edited:
One thing I do know, is that we have an amazing roster 1 through 25. We have a great home ground (mainly because of the people), and an awesome / loyal supporter base overall. Those tough years just after Northern Eagles days paid the way for what we see today, and makes our quality and ability that much more enjoyable.

Personally, I think we support the best team in the NRL.

I know, I'm proud as punch when people ask me who I support. "Manly, straight up". I remember as an old Bears supporter, it used to be shoulders down, "Bears, but don't hold that against me". LOL.
Ans as soon as people say, "Oh God, not MANLY", I always reply with, "well, someone has to support the winners, don't they. It's just the Aussie way for most people to support the underdog & losers, so you go ahead and keep supporting Westst Tigers".

;)

So the secret to Manly being more successful is to not be very successful.. I can see you have a point there. It works for Liverpool!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4